Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some photos of some of my latest finds...

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello,

Sorry for taking a long time with this - had much going on and just many goofy changes with life. So - I did manage to find some new things, and do have photos of them...I don't have any decent 'apt. photos' due to having dealt with ants in my kitchen - so it's somewhat a disorganized mess...

Original 1940 U-Boat 'poster':

1940poster.jpg

Original 1941 National Geographic Atlantic Ocean Map - has marked U-Boat sinkings and other maritime sinkings like the Titanic:

Antiques003-1.jpg

16 Oct. 1939 Life Magazine (cover) - has U 35:

Antiques001.jpg

WWI dated article "U-Boat Life" by Kapitanleutnant Georg-Gunther Freiherr von Forstner, with paintings done by Karl Bossenroth.:

Antiques003.jpg

Antiques004.jpg

...more in next post.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
This china set was also found recently at a local consignment shop for around $16:

The pieces are dated 1944-45. There are only two things missing - small custard dish, and a plate - the small plate of the 'stripped' set I'm using for my tea infuser.

China1.jpg

China2.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
The pieces are dated 1944-45.

Lovely photos but I love those dishes. Do you have a name or mark on the bottom? I cannot tell very well but they look like they have a real Art Nouveau design from my view. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello Foofoogal :)

Yes - they are Homer Laughlin. The way I knew the dates was from my serving bowls that I had that I had emailed someone about back in '08 asking to understand the alpha-numeric code on the bottom. As my serving bowls were the Nautilus by the Homer Laughlin company. The lady replied and told me what the marks/stamps are. So I was able to at least decipher the date on these.

I don't know the name of the pattern though, and can make an attempt to try to figure it out. My serving bowls that I got two years ago didn't have a specific pattern name - just some sort of number type code from what I can remember (I no longer have that email).

I thought they did have a rather Art Nouveau appearance as well - almost like a cross between the Deco and Nouveau styles (although from what I've read the styles are related).

:)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Somebody should start a "Real Men Like Snazzy Dishes Society". Or something.;)
Very nice.
And the U Boat stuff . . . . whooo . . . . you wouldn't get me down in one of those!!!!!

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
LoL... :) @ dhermann1

I thought they were quite that myself. ;)

Foofoogal - I had to go back and look at the backs of them to give you a better idea:

The 'codes' were like below:

C45 N8
(March 1945 [plant name] West VA)

The letter being the month number, then either '44' or '45' being, of course, the year, and then the letter was the plant name...if I remember right. These just happened to also be from West VA - like my serving bowls (which are of a totally different set - but also made in 1944)...and even that design on my serving bowls didn't have any name from what I could find.

They were made from Nov. 44 - Feb. 45 from what I could tell by going through them.

Thanks both of you.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR