Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Roller Advice, Please.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I have almost all-one-length hair that I'm growing out from a chin-length bob. It's now just above my shoulders.

I've recently discovered that if I comb in a really deep part, and sleep with medium sponge rollers in my hair (I set my hair when it's dry), I can just wake up in the morning, brush it out, and have spectacular 40s waves that frame one side of my face. If I use smaller curlers around my face, I'll have an equally spectacular 30s marcel. I can also do a 50s do with the same exact set - I just brush it differently. I love it! However, I've noticed some breakage from the rollers, so I'm thinking about investing in the satin covered sponge rollers in the African American section. Has anyone tried those?

Also, the kind of brush you use is really important. I use the cheapo goody brush you can buy at Walgreens. They're usually blue or green and have sturdy bristles that don't create static. Brushing technique is almost as important as setting the hair, so practice, practice, practice!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
My personal brush of choice is a round metal brush (the kind you usually use for blow drying). I like to flip my head upside down, brush thoroughly, and then flip my head back and use my brush and hand to coax the curls/waves into place. This is how I achieve everything from Veronica Lake or Rita Hayworth waves, to more tightly curled styles (I take care not to brush the set out as vigorously.) For updos like the Betty Grable ‘do, I very lightly brush the set out, and will use my brush to smooth the updo into place so as to preserve the ringlets as much as possible.

I’m not a huge fan of finger combing (unless I have a wayward lock of hair that does not want to join the rest of the bunch or that refuses to curl and needs to be coaxed), as I prefer my hair to lay in smooth/uniform waves/curls, rather than defined ringlets.

I have tried the satin covered rollers, but they did not work for me, much to my disappointment. I found that they slipped right out, and didn’t curl at all :(

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I have really stubborn hair that doesn’t like to curl, so, like Jitterbugdoll, I don’t brush too much.

Lately I’ve been waving my hair (with sponge curlers) on the right side and pulling the rest back into a roll or bun on the back of my head. I put curlers allover my head, but use more, with smaller sections, where I want it to wave. When I remove the rollers I use my brush (unfortunately, metal brushes give me nothing but frizz so I have to use the goody brush) to carefully smooth out the curls. That usually gives me about 2 or 3 rows of waves down the right side of my face. I then use the side of my hand to define the waves, and push them up a little for more definition. Then I pin it back and spray. This style can withstand both the gym AND the San Francisco wind.

If I want a pin-curl look from sponge rollers, I carefully brush the out the set and then re-curl strands of hair around my finger. If you’re doing a pin curl up-do (my favorite hairdo), be sure to pin it up carefully so the pins don’t show. I went for years not understanding that pin-curls can be re-pinned, which lead to endless bad hair days where all my pin curls went limp!

Speaking of which, I ordered the clear plastic magic grip hairpins from Vermont Country Store. I do a lot of prison work, which sends me through a lot of metal detectors, and I got sick of taking out my bobby pins. Has anyone used these?

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...RODUCT&iMainCat=4&iSubCat=27&iProductID=29948

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I think I know the brush you are talking about--it's the only kind I would let my mother use on me when I was a little girl (I used to have a very sensitive scalp, and she had this old Goody hair brush that didn't seem to pull as much. She kept it for years until it just about had the radish!)

The metal hair brush I use actually has plastic bristles--only the barrel is metal. I just like using a round brush, as they are good for curling the ends of your hair under. I find that all-plastic hair brushes make my hair staticky, but I live in a very dry climate, so that could be the culprit.

I've never tried that type of hair pin--I've always had good luck with metal pins (I use ones that are painted blonde to match my hair.) Funny though--I can't recall setting of the metal detectors at the airport the last time I was there. Maybe they just knew I had pins in my hair, and let me pass through (I’m sure they would have asked though[huh] ), so I didn't think anything of it (I hate setting those things off—but I would hate having to take my hair down more!)

When I do a pin curl up do, I pin curl about 1/3 to 1/2 of the curls in place, and spray the rest with hair spray (this lasts even at the gym for me--I know the rest of people there must think I'm a hoot, with my perfectly coiffed hair and gym clothes;) ) One other trick that works for me is to leave a small, triangular portion at the front down while pin the rest up, and then pin the front portion up separately. It makes the front section easier to manage and it’s less likely to fall down.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
When I'm at the gym I'm normally wearing a loose t-shirt and shorts, while sporting a perfect wave or pin curl set. It's pretty funny! But it's also nice to leave the gym looking exactly the same as when I walked in.

Metal pins are definitely my favorite, but the metal detectors at San Quentin will pick up any amount of metal in my hair. Some guards will let me take them out, walk through the metal detector, and put them back in, but other guards won't let me in if I have more than 2 pins in my hair. I saw a girl turned away last week for having a small metal patch on the pocket of her jeans. The metal detectors there are way more sensitive than the ones at the airport. No under wire bras, no hairpins, etc... It's certainly not easy to dress appropriately!

As for brushes, I actually have a metal brush with plastic bristles, but I don't think I've ever used it on dry hair. Maybe I'll give it a go the next time I do a pageboy.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I can understand why they are so strict in that setting...I think I may actually have some of those pins somewhere (I seem to recall someone giving a box to me once)--I'll look for them and see if they actually work. If they do, I'll let you know :)

We would look more appropriate at the gym in something like this, I suppose :)

42nd%20street-org.jpg

Or maybe this:
luther2.jpg

decodoll

Practically Family
Those remind me of some vintage plastic hair combs I have. These hold really well.

pintainer.jpg

I like to use a round brush too, mine has a wooden handle. :) I'm still working on perfecting my pageboy, though. I've had a set of Hot Sticks for awhile. With my curl resistant hair, the curl wouldn't hold very long when my hair was longer, but now that my hair is a lot shorter, the curl stayed in much better. I think I need a bigger set though. I had to do part, remove them and pop them back in the heater to do the rest this morning. My new hair dresser also recommends a perm for keeping vintage styles in all day. She recommended someone that knows vintage styles and does perms, as she doesn't do them. I think I'm going to let it grow out a tad before I do it, though.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
42nd Street! Man, that's my favourite show of all time. I remember going to see it in London when I was small...I WISH someone would put it on again! I have to own the film of it...

Lauren...if you could spare some time to show a vintage deprived Brit a few places to shop, or if you can't, and could point me in the right direction, that would be absolutely brilliant! The "thrift" stores over here don't ever keep any real vintage stuff, and the real vintage shops are prohibitively expensive for me.

I'm coming over with the Mr for Comic-con, we did last year too, but apart from one short trip to Hillcrest, one mall visit and one visit to PB (and one day trip to Mexico that almost left me stranded across the border without my immigration card) I barely saw a single shop, or did anything particularly fun or non nerd-related. This year I have so many plans. Beach, shopping, zoo, Seaworld, shopping, Oldtown, did I mention shopping? There were so many shops in Hillcrest I didn't get the chance to go into! This time I am making the most of it! So, yes, that would be so awesome!

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Yes! I want to wear those cute shorts to the gym! Unfortunately, however, I don't think they'd go too well with my running shoes.

Decodoll, I've wanted forever to get a perm, but my stylist is really against it because I already color my hair. According to her, perms eat hair color and fry the hair. She also said that, because I have curl-resistant hair, a perm wouldn't hold for very long, making it not worth the money spent. Have you considered wearing invisible hairnets to keep your curl? I do that when I go out at night and know I'll be facing the San Francisco fog.

decodoll

Practically Family
No, I haven't tried a hairnet. I'll have to try that. My hair has been through a lot and it's always come through fine. I've stripped black hair dye myself and had it permed back about 13 years ago while it was dyed black. My hairdresser says that my hair seems pretty strong even though it is fine. The hairdresser I used to go to was like that...dead set against perms no matter what.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
I'm coming over with the Mr for Comic-con, we did last year too,
Oh you're going to the SD ComiCon! I'm so jealous. Are you and the Mr. doing a costume? If so which one(s)? If you see Elvis Trooper or some Indiana Jones guys, tell them ITG says "hi".

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
ITG said:
Oh you're going to the SD ComiCon! I'm so jealous. Are you and the Mr. doing a costume? If so which one(s)? If you see Elvis Trooper or some Indiana Jones guys, tell them ITG says "hi".

I LOVE Elvis Trooper! I didn't manage to get a photo with him last year, but this year I am determined! Every time I had my camera with me he was nowhere to be seen...I will hunt him down!

We won't be dressing up, no money or skill in that department! The boy has a comic coming out with Image so he'll be sitting at his table the whole time...hence my plenty of free shopping time!! Hooray!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure you'll have loads of fun. When I was out at C3, the first person I saw was Elvis Trooper, only he wasn't in his costume. He was in regular street gear and they were unloading us from our airport-hotel transport. I was like, "Kenny!" I didn't the first person I'd see on the street (out of like 30,000 people there) in Indianapolis would be someone I knew. I hope you get a photo with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR