Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something I noticed in the movie "Key Largo"

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of the gangsters under Edward G. Robinson is wearing a light coloured suit, possibily linen. His pants are of the Hollywood variety insomuch as that they are high waisted with dropped belt loops. But that is not what I noticed. In the movie he is hold his pants up with white suspenders & a black belt!!!

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The actor in mortal fear of losing his pants is Harry Lewis, who went on to found the Hamburger Hamlet restaurant chain.

Another odd accessory choice was E.G.'s western belt/buckle, considering that he was playing a northern gangster.

picture11fc3.jpg

Gene

Practically Family
The actor in mortal fear of losing his pants is Harry Lewis, who went on to found the Hamburger Hamlet restaurant chain.

Another odd accessory choice was E.G.'s western belt/buckle, considering that he was playing a northern gangster.

picture11fc3.jpg

Those western "Ranger" style belts were very popular in the late 40's-early 50's with everyone. There's about 6 different styles in my Sears catalog from '49.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Those western "Ranger" style belts were very popular in the late 40's-early 50's with everyone..
Sure but 'Key Largo' was a '39 Broadway play. Another reason you can't count on film to date era styles.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I believe that actor's name is Garcia (don't recall first name) and I'm pretty sure he was the first actor to play Lt. Colombo in the Chevy Mystery Hour in 1960. Really pretty sure. I'm gonna do some more Googling and report back.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Of course, he's in the cast list for Key Largo. That's Thomas Gomez. I'm having a hard time finding corroboration, but I'm positive he's the guy who was the first Colombo. Anyhow that actor is definitely Thomas Gomez.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK, here's an update. As SOOOO often happens, I'm all wet on this subject. Thomas Gomez never played Colombo. The original Colombo, on the Chevy Mystery Theater in 1960, was Bert Freed. Bert Freed. Never heard of him either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Freed
It says that Thomas Mitchell (Scarlett O'Hara's papa) also played Colombo.
So now we know.
Edit: And after having seen a few images of him, of course I recognize him. One of those Hollywood actors who's in everything but whose name you never know.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy