Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something I've noticed

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
On my Italian side, there were three boys and three girls. My grandfather (born in 1920), his brother John (1910) and another brother (born in 1912). My grandpa and the uncle born in 1912 served in WWII; neither of them in their lives wore hats. The uncle born in 1910, who never served in the military, often wore a fedora. So did their brother in law, who was born in 1916 and didn't serve in the military either.
Just something I've noted--The two military men in the family didn't wear hats, the others who weren't military men did.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Might be just an Italian thing :) My father (British) didn't serve in the war, but was a military man for a few years and he often wears hats. That being said, he's never worn a fedora, always flat caps or walking hats. So maybe there is something to it...

univibe88

One Too Many
My grandfather was born in 1913. He enlisted in the Marines in WWII. I have never seen him wear a hat or seen old pictures of him wearing a hat (however I haven't seen many old pictures.) That side of my family were not recent immigrants, rather having been in the US since before the revolution. Next time I talk to him I will ask him about it.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
My Daddy spent 31 years in the Navy. The only civilian hats I ever saw him wear were occasional work straw hats, when he was going to be all day in the sun. I don't think he ever owned a dress civilian hat.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I know someone who once out of the army didn't like anything painted or made green. Perhaps they actually enjoyed the freedom not to wear a hat once out?

My great-grandpa, born 1902, was always in a hat. He left me all his hats when he passed, I was 6 and even then loved them and was always stealing them off his head and wearing them. My grandpa, born 1930, to this day always wears a hat, even a fedora on special occasions, but usually more of an outdoorsman's fedora as I call them for regular occasions.

Goose.

Practically Family

My Old Man, Navy, 20 yrs, Chief Petty Officer. Off duty, never seen him in a lid other than a Navy-Chief ball cap...and that was rare.
"Rare" to the point that it counts as "never".

I have a 11B (Infantry) Brother that was 'Nam baptized in blood (Purple Heart & Silver Star) w/ the 101st (Airborne). Stingy wearer.
Also, a pic of my Bullwinkle Wings on my Sydney Fedora.

472624421_8EwKH-S-1.jpg
470754753_CA9Kj-S.jpg

Happy Armed Forces Day... :)

Goose.
United States Army

kaosharper1

One Too Many
My dad was born in 1917, and was in the army for 22 years. Saw action in both WWII and Korea (which is why I'm here). The only hat I saw him wear was a military one. In civilian dress, no hat, ever.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Neither of my grandfather's served in the military and both wore hats always. One was never without a Western straw Stetson in summer and a western Open Road style in cooler weather. He was a carpenter and built P.O.W. camps around Texas during WW II. My other grandfather was a banker in a small town and he was always in either a straw or felt fedora along with a tie, even inside. He said his bald head got cold.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
My dad...

...was in the Army for 26 years. I've never seen him in person or in pictures wear a civilian hat, except a base ball hat or staw hat working in the garden.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
My father (born 1919) was a medic in the late war years. He would wear hats. I inherited his lids and wore them with pride in the eighties :)

I, myself was not in the army and wear hats.

Don´t see a relation between draftees and hat awersions.

In the contrary. Just take the British veterans wearing bowlers for parades.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I can see where the aversion to hat wearing comes from. I could never wear a plain blue suit with a white shirt as it has a too strong connotation of the sixth form uniform at my school. Likewise maybe military people didn't want any reminder at all of having to wear a uniform.

MattStat

New in Town
My old dad, many uncles, and grandfather all served and none wore anything but a baseball cap, though my grandfather had a small fedora that he kept in a closet (I inherited this).

But I was in, too, and always wear hats.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
My grandfather was a drill instructor. He wore hats of all sorts. He wore a fedora on the day of my wedding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo