Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Song lyrics you messed up as a kid

shortbow

Practically Family
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Daniel, yours is absolutely the best yet. I nearly soiled my knickers, and I don't even have colitis!

When I was little I thought "For he's a jolly good fellow which nobody can deny"
was ..."nobody candy night." :)

JennyLou

Practically Family
CherryKrissy said:
I was horrible with The clash- Rock the Casbah. I always heard it as Rock the Cashbar....I was in my 20's before I figured it out :eusa_doh: my friends still make fun of me for it!
I remember there was a funny Cingular commercial where the guy thought the lyric was "stop the catbox" instead.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Rafter said:
The Beatles: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
The real lyrics are:
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

But I misheard them as:
The girl with colitis goes by.

lol

That sort of changes the meaning a little...

My brother thought "Our Love's in Jeopardy" was being sung- I love those zeppoles.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Oh man, I just thought of another more recent song by Rihanna.

It's supposed to be "Please don't stop the music"

Sounds to me like either one of these options.

"Dweezel's got the music" or "The weasels got the music"

Daffy I know.

Cheers!

Dan

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
Fletch,

Here are the current words to verse one and refrain of Semper Paratus:

From Aztec shore to Arctic zone,
To Europe and Far East.
The Flag is carried by our ships,
In times of war and peace.
And never have we struck it yet,
In spite of foe-men's might,
Who cheered our crews and cheered again,
For showing how to fight.

We're always ready for the call,
We place our trust in Thee.
Through surf and storm and howling gale,
High shall our purpose be.
"Semper Paratus" is our guide,
Our fame, our glory too.
To fight to save or fight to die,
Aye! Coast Guard, we are for you!

The line "high shall our purpose be" is still there. The first lines of the verses were changed in late 1969.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
parameciums?

To this day, there is a line in the Bill Withers song "Ain't No Sunshine" that sounds exactly like "All parameciums sing along, ain't no sunshine when she's gone". [huh] I just had to look it up, and found out it's really: "Hey, I ought to leave the young thing alone,
But ain't no sunshine when she's gone..."

Moby

Familiar Face
These eyes?

I'm terrible about listening to the words when listening to my car radio. For the longest time I thought the song "These Eyes" was a Levi's commercial. I kept hearing "Levi's" instead of "These eyes".

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Don't go 'round tonite
fer it's bound to take your light
there's a bathroom on the right
- Creedence Clearwater Revival

--

the sun don't shine
the moon don't move
the tight twoosh piccolou
- Robin Trower

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
A couple of oldies from people I knew: One little girl sang Easter parade "I'll be all in clover, and when they knock you over . . ."
And a very old family friend, who would have been about 5 about 100 years ago, thought the hymn that started "Jesus is a rock in a weary land" was "Jesus threw a rock, and away he ran".

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I remember getting into an argument with my older brother over The Beatles' "Paperback Writer." I kept insisting the lyric was, "It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a DOVE." He told me it was DOG. I stuck to my guns and he said, "Think about it. Does a DOVE work hard?" He made a valid point. I think I argued just for the sake of argument on that one.

docneg

One of the Regulars
The Monkees' "I'm a Believer" has a line "...when I needed sunshine I got rain"

I always thought it was "when I needed sunshine on my brain". My best friend and I argued over it and his mother listened to the record and settled it.

Also a record (I think by Paul Revere and the Raiders) called "You Shouldn't Take It So Hard". I thought they were saying "You shouldn't think of the hog"!

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
Not really a mistaken lyric but....

When I was about four I heard a woman singing Snowbird on the radio. I asked who it was. I was told Anne Murray. The way I heard it was Aunt Mary. I actually do have an Aunt Mary.

A short time later Aunt Mary came to visit and jokingly asked if I liked her singing (my mother told her...)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy