Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

songs that make you shiver/cry

Smuterella

One Too Many
In response to the songs that make you happy thread, what about songs that make you feel quite the opposite. There are some songs that make me weep or which make me get goosebumps. Those are the ones I really love.

alexandra

Practically Family
Nesun Dorma has always made me cry...not from sadness but from it being so powerful. I used to use it before auditions when doing an emotional monologue (what a cheater).

I also cried the first time I heard Staralfur, but I was like 14 so it was probably teen angst.

Smuterella

One Too Many
i like classic weepy music, Tom Waits, Jeff Buckley

at the moment the lovely Martha Wainwright

Babyshambles new murder song is marvellous too

Smuterella

One Too Many
oh honey, try to think of the happy times when you hear it, I'm sure thats what she wanted.

I simply cannot listen to Simon and Garfunkel's bridge over troubled water as it makes me think of my mother. in a different way. I just spoke to her Thursday night for the first time in 10 years. Since Thursday I've had that song, her song, stuck in my head.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
oh honey, try to think of the happy times when you hear it, I'm sure thats what she wanted.

I simply cannot listen to Simon and Garfunkel's bridge over troubled water as it makes me think of my mother. in a different way. I just spoke to her Thursday night for the first time in 10 years. Since Thursday I've had that song, her song, stuck in my head.
Yeah I know but that's the part that makes me cry.
She was very kind and generous. So is my dad.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
you are lucky darling, really

REALLY

<---------- feeling very down about parental stuff right now
My mom had a sh*t childhood. Mommy Dearest has nothing on my grandparents. I think that is why she and my dad were so good to us.
They actually broke the cycle of abuse.
It also goes to show that abuse crosses all social and economic boundries.

I'm sorry your mom isn't being the mother you want or need her to be. Just know that you can't change her but you can change the way you raise your kids. It goes to that whole idea of accepting the things you cannot change but having the courage to change the things you can... blah blah blah.....

Sorry I think I just hijacked your thread.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
alexandra said:
Nesun Dorma has always made me cry...not from sadness but from it being so powerful. I used to use it before auditions when doing an emotional monologue (what a cheater).
The aria that always makes me weepy is E lucevan le stelle from Tosca. Especially sung by Mario Lanza. Autumn Leaves is another tearjerker, and anything sung by Billie Holiday.

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
'39 by Queen gives a shiver

Windmills of your Mind places me in a nostalgic mood

"Another Auld Lang Syne" (Dan Fogelberg) places me in serious brown study

"It's Me" and "How You Gonna See Me Now" by Alice Cooper

"Old and Wise" by The Alan Parsons Project

"Hurt" - Johnny Cash version

and

"Mama's Arms" by Joshua Kadison (this one can reduce me to uncontrolled sobbing...)

and "See You on the Other Side" by David Grey reminds me of handing my father off into EMI care by lying to him...

Cobden

Practically Family
"Where the Wild Roses Grow" by Kylie Minogue and Nick Cave (really, really creepy song)

"Wonderful Life" by Black

"Hurt" by Johnny Cash

LadyStardust

Practically Family
JazzBaby said:
alexandra said:
The aria that always makes me weepy is E lucevan le stelle from Tosca. Especially sung by Mario Lanza. Autumn Leaves is another tearjerker, and anything sung by Billie Holiday.

Oh my goodness, yes! E lucevan always reduces me tears. Have you heard Placido Domingo's take, by any chance? That's the one that always gets me.

My own tearjerkers are Vera Lynn's "We'll Meet Again" and Diana Ross' "If We Hold On Together".

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Hearing Bonnie Raitt's I Can't Make You Love Me causes memories to resurface that make my soul ache. The void she left in my life can never be filled.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
"Wichita Lineman" by Johnny Cash

"After The Goldrush" by Neil Young

"Can't Find My Way Home" by Blind Faith

"Let It Grow" by Eric Clapton

"Strange Fruit" by Billie Holiday

Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites as played by Yo-Yo Ma

Those, and a FEW THOUSAND MORE.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
"Don't Explain" by Nina Simone
"You Won't Forget Me" by Shirley Horn

Those ladies sing with such strength, and the songs are so sad.

(and "Father of Mine" by Everclear :eek: )

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
"The Rose" sung by Bette Midler.
Haerd it once on the way back after visiting my parents. My mother was awfully sick then, and it had been a sort of goodbye meeting. Since none of us knew how long she would last.
Everytime I hear that song I think about that afternoon.
Even decided, that I want it to be played at my own funeral.
In about 60 years:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy