Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

songs that make you shiver/cry

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'Don't Leave Me Driftwood On the Sea', The Moody Blues

'Romance' ,from The Gadfly by Dmitri Shostakovich (Sidney Reilly theme)

'If I Fell', the Beatles

'Friends', Elton John

'Pepperland', George Martin (from Yellow Submarine)
-dixon cannon

Miss 1929

Just reading the titles is making me sniffy...

"Gloomy Sunday", Billie Holiday
"Sweet Dreams" Patsy Cline
and for some reason, "Here Comes the Rain Again" by the Eurythmics

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Yes. Those are emotional ones.

Miss 1929 said:
"Gloomy Sunday", Billie Holiday
"Sweet Dreams" Patsy Cline
and for some reason, "Here Comes the Rain Again" by the Eurythmics

"Gloomy Sunday" by Holiday is surely one.
"Crazy" by Patsy Cline brings back all kinds of memories
"Tears in Heaven" by Clapton because of the story behind it- then, it was on the radio when we took one of our cats to be "put to sleep" (19 years old- kidney failure) It brings back all those memories.
"Killing the Blues" by Chris Smither gets to me
but perhaps the biggest one to me
"In my life", Beatles

"There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All this places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all"

How do you top that? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

pgoat

One Too Many
+1 on "Strange Fruit" by Billie Holliday. I am thinking of a live recording where she almost loses it herself on the last word ("c-cr-r-oooop!")

And definitely Tom Waits....back when I was young and silly and drank a lot more I spent many a night nursing the wounds of romantic angst with "Blue Valentine", "Martha" and many others.

definitely hide all sharp objects when the Smiths are playing

"Expecting to Fly" by Neil Young always gets me misty eyed, syrupy strings and whatnot.

Robin Trower's stuff from the 70s was good for a crying jag or two...."Long Misty Days", "Bridge of Sighs", "Hannah", etc etc.

"Heartaches" by Ted Weems makes my happiest and saddest song list. It reminds me of an old Gf's dad, who was an amazing man and more of a father figure to me than my real dad. He died of cancer at 59 and I only knew him a few years but he was really special and affected my life deeply.

I first heard it on an old Library of Congress archives LP of Tin Pan Alley tunes, including a version of "Shoe Shine Boy" by Louis Armstrong that absolutely destroys me every time I hear it....I had the same reaction Django Reinhardt had upon first hearing Satchmo - I dropped my head in my hands and sobbed tears of joy and wonder.

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
Pretty much the entire soundtrack from "The Piano"...so damn haunting and sad.

For chills, "L.A. County" by Lyle Lovett always does the trick.

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
A few that really depress me:

"Bridge Over Troubled Water", Simon & Garfunkel (reminds me of 9/11; it was the first song I heard on my car radio after getting home from the office that day)
"End of the Innocence", Don Henley
"The River", Bruce Springsteen
"End of the Rainbow", Richard & Linda Thompson
Shostakovich's String Quartet #15 (as bleak a piece of music as I've ever heard)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
For a long time anything by Joanna Newsom would make me cry, especially "Sadie". I first started listening to her when I was going through a rough time and her music was just so beautiful. So for a long time after that I associated her music with sadness.

Now it's been awhile and I can listen to her again, but I still get the shivers.

Also, "Breathe Me" by Sia. Mostly because it's what they played on the series finale of Six Feet Under. Which makes me a dork.

pgoat

One Too Many
NOW who's the dork?

That reminded me - Julee Cruise (Twin peaks/Blue Velvet soundtracks) and early Enya used to get me sniffy back in the day. :rolleyes:

:eek:fftopic: Speaking of Enya, If anyone likes haunting Celtic music and hasn't checked out old Steeleye Span, pls do so - amazing stuff from a vastly underrated band.:eek:fftopic:

alexandra

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
Also, "Breathe Me" by Sia. Mostly because it's what they played on the series finale of Six Feet Under. Which makes me a dork.

NO! That's why I love that song too so you're as cool as me! Which is totally cool by the way.

carebear

A song titled "Don't, This Way" by the 77's.

And a pile of others, I like sad songs.

Unrequited love,

songs of sacrifice for another (especially military, like "Soldier" by Harvey Andrews),

songs of loss...

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
"I Will Always Love You" and "I Have Nothing" by Whitney Houston always give me goosebumps when she hits those high notes...most of Billie Holidays songs do too and a couple tear me up...

Haversack

One Too Many
Eric Bogle singing his song "No Mans Land"

Any bugler playng "The Last Post"

Just about anyone singing or playing "The Flowers of the Forest"

Haversack

Luddite

One of the Regulars
'And the band played Waltzing Matilda' esp the June Tabor version.

'Vietnam' - Johnny Cash

'Cat's in the Cradle' - Harry Chapin

'The Green Fields of France'

re. Alexandra and Staralfur; I can't find it now, but Sigur Ros' Svefn-g-Englar was used for a USO Care Package campaign, backing an animated video. I can't find it now, which is probably good as it wouldn't be the done thing to be seen crying at work ;)

And I'll second pgoat with Steeleye Span

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy