Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source Of High Quality Corduroy Blazer

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've posed this one in years gone by - can anyone recommend a few makers of good quality corduroy blazers (besides Old Town and Cordings)? Many companies seem to make a version, but I rarely see quality cord blazers that are well cut and made from solid cord fabric. Any thoughts?

I've posed this one in years gone by - can anyone recommend a few makers of good quality corduroy blazers (besides Old Town and Cordings)? Many companies seem to make a version, but I rarely see quality cord blazers that are well cut and made from solid cord fabric. Any thoughts?

I know J.Press puts out a few corduroy sport coats. In general, Press' clothes are well made, but I haven't seen the corduroy sport coats in person.

Edward

Bartender
A lot will depend on how much you want to spend. I believe SJC has one in the works in a pre-war style. Darcy clothing did have one in the past in their unlined "work suit" range, though they don't seem to currently offer one. Several labels available in the UK do a nice, basic 'classic' jacket in a cut that has been around since the late 50s. Peter Christian I'm sure do one; Samuel Windsor also do. https://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/ja...MIhOXFjOqG7QIVEbrtCh0xega0EAAYASAAEgJJNPD_BwE Not tried or handled the SW one, though I've had a couple of their tweed jackets and been well please with them.

Cord jackets aren't something that has been much seen in the UK since they were last mainstream-fashionable in the 70s. Mainly now you'd have to go looking at countrywear places, though in the UK pre-war certainly and really until the 50s you'd have seen very little denim, and workwear was primarily corduroy and moleskin.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
A lot will depend on how much you want to spend. I believe SJC has one in the works in a pre-war style. Darcy clothing did have one in the past in their unlined "work suit" range, though they don't seem to currently offer one. Several labels available in the UK do a nice, basic 'classic' jacket in a cut that has been around since the late 50s. Peter Christian I'm sure do one; Samuel Windsor also do. https://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/ja...MIhOXFjOqG7QIVEbrtCh0xega0EAAYASAAEgJJNPD_BwE Not tried or handled the SW one, though I've had a couple of their tweed jackets and been well please with them.

Cord jackets aren't something that has been much seen in the UK since they were last mainstream-fashionable in the 70s. Mainly now you'd have to go looking at countrywear places, though in the UK pre-war certainly and really until the 50s you'd have seen very little denim, and workwear was primarily corduroy and moleskin.

Nice. Thanks for these leads, Edward. The Peter Christian ones are cheap. Are you sure they are well made?

Yes, I'm after a British style corduroy blazer like you might see worn by a country vet in 1950. Or the poet Auden. I'd prefer Manchester cord over that from the far east. I do like the work style jackets too. Just having some strong maker names might also help me find a second hand one for cheap. I missed out on a mint 1960 cord blazer by Dunn and Co last year. Went for Aus $40.

The Cordings one is very close. It costs 400 pounds.

Cordings.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Nice. Thanks for these leads, Edward. The Peter Christian ones are cheap. Are you sure they are well made?

Yes, I'm after a British style corduroy blazer like you might see worn by a country vet in 1950. Or the poet Auden. I'd prefer Manchester cord over that from the far east. I do like the work style jackets too. Just having some strong maker names might also help me find a second hand one for cheap. I missed out on a mint 1960 cord blazer by Dunn and Co last year. Went for Aus $40.

The Cordings one is very close. It costs 400 pounds.

View attachment 282068

Never owned any PC myself, but I know a few folks are very happy with them.

TBH, though, you'll not get a cut quite like the Cordings one any cheaper. If SJC do one, it'll be a stunning piece, but it will be in and around the same price. Used to be you could pick up 60s and 70s noes that were close in Camden market in the old days, but that seems to have died out now, sadly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112