1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Sou'west Chunkies Sweaters

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by BobJ, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Mark

Mark Practically Family

Cannot wear my chunkies with any leather jacket. Best worn alone, too chunky! Love Sloans colour. I had asked Peter a few weeks ago if he could make me one in Autumn colours but he had nothing suitable.

Ticklishchap likes this.
  2. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

One of the benefits of northern climes is that a leather jacket and a chunky is a good combo at this time of year. It certainly takes up any slack on an up-sized jacket, that's for sure! Bill came in at £43, btw, which is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

tropicalbob likes this.
  3. casechopper

casechopper My Mail is Forwarded Here

For me a chunkie is good for being in a cold place that's not windy or as a middle insulation layer. If you're house is cool in Winter then it's great. My wife and kids don't appreciate keeping our house at 50 degrees f though... I mainly wear mine as a mid layer when riding to work in the cold. Outside of that it's almost always too warm at home, work or in stores.

4. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I've always liked a chunky sweater with an overcoat. For me it's the ideal winter combo. Loden coats are particularly nice because of the raglan sleeves.

BobJ likes this.
  5. IXL

IXL One Too Many

Sloan, that is a really great-looking sweater.

6. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

It’s ages since I wore my Sou’ Chunky sweater. I pretty much live in military Woolly Pullies or Guernseys during the cooler months but my black Chunky made by Pete has been neglected for some time. Oddly O dreamed about wearing it the other night - a sign that I should do so this winter! It’s been cool enough for a Navy Woolly Pully today however.

7. Rich22

Rich22 One of the Regulars

I definitely want one of their jumpers now... but gotta say that’s one of the worst websites I’ve seen in the past twenty years! It’s the sort of thing I made for myself in the 1990’s when I was a teenager working out how to build a website from scratch without using something like Dreamweaver Ultradev :rolleyes::D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Sloan1874 likes this.
  8. Ernest P Shackleton

Ernest P Shackleton Practically Family

I wonder what their Fisherman costs now.

When a youngin', back when I didn't appreciate clothing a whole lot, I was given a heavy duty Pendleton fisherman sweater, but it was huge on me. I thought, "Why not shrink the darn thing?" So I washed it in cold water and then dried it on medium heat, checking it every few minutes. It definitely shrunk, but it also made it dense as heck. Everything pulled real tight and got ever-so-slightly fuzzy. Didn't ruin the sweater at all, besides making the size tag useless. I like(d) how it turned out. Never regretted it. Has to be damn cold out to wear it though.

Any handmade sweaters out there processed to make the weave super tight and dense like I described? Maybe there's a name for that process? I love wool, but I don't know a lot about sweaters.

9. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

The website kinda speaks to the guy who runs the business - very no-frills, take-it-or-leave-it. He's a little odd, tbh, but we worked through what I wanted - the jumpers run quite large and I wanted something slimmer as it would just swamp me. They are immensely warm and heavy, I tend to stick mine under an Irvin when the going gets particularly cold, or I'm wandering in and out of my flat for extended periods. I didn't get much use of it last winter as the weather didn't demand it, but it's ready and waiting...

Rich22 likes this.
  10. Rich22

The jumper sounds like something I want and need... really could have done with it this past winter as it was pretty brutal after 8/9 winters living in South East Asia! I’m visiting home (England) in July, so might see if I can pick one up.

Like you, I’d also go for a more fitted look, as even though I’m quite a big guy I don’t like baggy clothing.

11. Ernest P Shackleton

Ernest P Shackleton Practically Family

Not making any judgment when I say any of this, but the website made me think of an older person, or couple, who sell directly on occasion, but who mostly sell at art fairs and farmer's markets on the weekend, who still have a landline in their cabin home, who drive an older car on its last legs that is packed to the gills with random stuff. I could go on and on. That website paints a vivid picture to me, but unfortunately, it tells the potential customer almost nothing about the product. On the other hand, they clearly have all the business they want or need. Good on them. I can respect that.

12. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Oh, you have to see the emails they send - block capitals, each and every one of them. It was like being yelled at for weeks.

hondurasdave47 likes this.
  13. Ticklishchap

I think they’d do a more fitted look if you asked for it. I had a ‘Gansey’ sweater from them some years ago that was more fitted than my black ‘Chunky’, which is enormous!

14. Rich22

I emailed him just now- lets see what he has to say. Any recommendations on colour? I'm leaning towards cream or black.

Ticklishchap likes this.
  15. Ticklishchap

Both of those very good, as is Navy Blue. I also have a sort of Chocolate Brown Gansey and have had a Bottle Green Chunky in the past.

16. Rich22

Can't see the Navy Blue or Chocolate options on their website. I'm fond of Navy Blue...

17. Ticklishchap

I’m fond of Navy Blue as well (see my other posts on military sweaters and Guernseys). He will do other colours to order if you ask him. He’s not confined to the colours on the website.

Rich22 likes this.
  18. Rich22

Thanks for the heads up! :)

Ticklishchap likes this.
  19. Ticklishchap

Let me know what Pete says and whether you get the sweater.

20. dubpynchon

dubpynchon A-List Customer

I got a Chunky from him last year, great jumper, nice and heavy. I sent him measurements of another jumper that fit me well and it came out great. Ridiculously good value as well, I had to chase him down to pay him.

Sloan1874 and Ticklishchap like this.