Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Space heaters.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I was going to say "The Land Of Fruits and Nuts'...

:cheers1:

Sefton said:
I don't know if San Francisco counts as the" land of milk and honey":rolleyes: but I've lived in 3 1930s or older buildings and it gets very damp and cold in S.F. Everyone I know there has at least one space heater. Many times I would come home from work to see my apt. building still standing and think to myself 'Well, glad to see it hasen't burnt up yet'. The last place I was in had the original fireplaces blocked up by the landlord. Crummy 1970 electric heating units were installed, one to a room at the baseboards. They did nothing so you had to use a space heater. I had to use a dehumidifier also to keep my vintage movie poster and LP collection from getting moldy...

It's kind of amazing that back then you could assume that people had enough sense to use things like that safely (obviously some then didn't have good sense...)
Products now have to come with an attached essay on why you shouldn't use electric items near bathtubs, sinks,don't stick your fingers into the moving blades of the fan etc,etc.

Back to topic...Root, I'm glad you enjoy your vintage heater. Like everyone
else here I hope it remains a safe thing for you. Please use it with caution...or better still as a display piece! Best regards, Sefton

shamus

Suspended
Why don't you just buy a sweater? They generally won't burn down your place if left un-attended and don't use electricity.

And I assume everyone's refering to all the oranges, plums, necturines and pecans that california produces every year....

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey bud, good to hear from ya! I would buy a sweater if, I didn't have like four 1930's-40's sweaters already. Come on, it's me we're talking about! Vintage king over here! Root with out a sweater? That's like the TITANIC not having rust all over it! :p

I'm going to use that heater no matter what any one says so, there:p

=WR=

PS. Sweater proof!

rsweater3xu.jpg

Mycroft

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Hey bud, good to hear from ya! I would buy a sweater if, I didn't have like four 1930's-40's sweaters already. Come on, it's me we're talking about! Vintage king over here! Root with out a sweater? That's like the TITANIC not having rust all over it! :p

=WR=

PS. Sweater proof!

rsweater3xu.jpg

Is it "R" for Root or Robert or Rydell High(from Grease)? ;)

Wild Root said:

=WR=

PS. Sweater proof!

rsweater3xu.jpg

I sort of figured you were going to use it no matter what anyone said. :p I will tell you that I use one in the outdoor breedingroom I use for my canaries every year. This is not a heat dish like you have but a space heater nonetheless. It used to have the cloth covered cord but I had it replaced years ago because of what some have mentioned here. Mine does have a thermostat-somewhat though. It has a dial with low medium and high on it. :p
I have a thermometer in the room to check for reality. A medium temperature setting overnight will keep the room above 65 degrees all night long. It turns on and shuts off when it reaches the right temperature. I found a way to figure out how to set it for temperature. I just turn it on high and look at the thermometer. When it hits the temperature I want, I turn the dial down to the point that it just goes off. Works perfectly and I use it now when I go out there to feed the dog or the birds. Man cold water on your hands can really lower the old body temperature. ;)
So, I am all for old space heaters. Mine has worked trouble free for at least a decade now---overnight---unattended. Just have a local handyman look it over and you have a real asset there.

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
I give up. You all can think I'm insane but, that's not going to change anything. I'll burn to death happy.

=WR=

Me too, WR. I think the world of you, my friend, but when you make a statement like this...even if made in jest...well, there's not much more I have to say to you on the subject.[huh] :rolleyes:

Regards.

Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mycroft said:
Is it "R" for Root or Robert or Rydell High(from Grease)? ;)

It's "R" for Root or Robert. Never Rydell High from Grease. That has to be the most non 50's, 50's movie ever made. And for TV there was Happy Days! That was more 70's then the 70's could be! Fun show but, just not true 50's other then the Cunningham's '46 DeSoto.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Michaelson said:
Me too, WR. I think the world of you, my friend, but when you make a statement like this...even if made in jest...well, there's not much more I have to say to you on the subject.[huh] :rolleyes:

Regards.

Michaelson

Well, Michaelson, I consider you a good friend! Any man who drives a MoPar every day is indeed a friend. ;)

It was in jest but, I bought that heater to use and so I shall. I know your words of concern are of the most pure intent. I appreciate it really I do! I'm just tired of my friends talking as if I'm a 2 year old with a box of matches soaked in gasoline. It's not that case at all. I just wanted to share my find with you good buddies here, not start a fire of warnings and "you shouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t do?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s". I am 27 years old and use vintage items every day so, you know how it is. I was even using Kerosene lanterns at the age of 10! I have always been a super careful kid when handling fragile items and potentially dangerous things. The chances of me waking up burned to death by a spot heater form the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s are a 100 to 1 because I never sleep with it on.;)

God bless you gentle men,

=WR=

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I grew up with something similar to one of these bad boys.
8c_1_b.JPG

In a cold bathroom after a shower it would throw out plenty of heat with the convection fan. And since it was portable we could take it out to the work shop in the winter and do our wood work in relative comfort. I think my ol' man still has this little gem too.

Cheers!

Dan

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
my heater, your sweater

Our house had an old floor heater that had to be replaced after some under-house flooding.
The old one was a work horse. I would hear it come on, Whoom, and it heated the whole house quickly. The new is "safer" and is a load of old rubbish. It takes forever to heat the living room and at night the bedroom is still frigid.
Sorry, that doesn't have much to with your story, Root, but enjoy your heater.
By the way, from your photo I can tell that it is a Riverdale High sweater you are wearing. My friend Archie used to wear one like that with a bowtie

The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner