Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spam

Brooksie

One Too Many
After reading this thread all the way through last night - I had to buy Spam from the grocery store today while doing my shopping. I will be frying it up for dinner one of these nights real soon. I bought the hickory smoke flavor. Yummy.

Brooksie

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I had rather a lot of Spam when I was young and still have it once in a while.
The funny thing is at some point started eating most things between two slices of bread, like a chip butty. Spam is perfect for that. I have switched to wheat bread though.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Esme

One of the Regulars
Well, I should have said that I used to like it, despite what my Samoan friend said!! We used to fry it really fast just to get it hot and a little brown and eat it between two pieces of white Williams bread. Yum, making me hungry.

My husband quite likes it, I don't eat sandwiches anymore. We always have tinned Spam, cored beef and vegemite in the cabinet.

Flivver

Practically Family
My Mom discovered Spam during WWII. After that, it became regular fare in our house right through the 1960s. Spam 'n eggs is still one of my favorites for supper.

But the best part of Spam these days is the reaction I get from my non-vintage friends when they see me eating it..."Eww-how can you eat that stuff?"

When I ask them if they've ever tried it, they of course say no.

They don't know what they're missing!

Foofoogal

Banned
1 can of spam cubed
onions to taste cut up.
2 boiled eggs cut up
1 can of drained english peas.
green olives if desired only.
Mix up with mayonnaise. Delicious in hot summer when you don't want to cook. Can use ham but I like spam better for this recipe.

forgot you can add chunks of cheese also if you like.

klara

One of the Regulars
This reminds me of my honeymoon that we spent in bulgaria. The husband eats meat so we went to a barbeque. The waitress asked him if he wanted pork or ham, husband wanted ham. Well, after a while comes the dinner, and it's grilled spam. Then the waitress asks him if he wants any sauce with that, and in shock he replies yes, only to have the waitress spray on spraycream all over the grilled spam :eek: I will never forget the look of his face and I have never been happier over the fact that I'm a vegetarian lol

yoonie

Familiar Face
My god, a spam thread! A "meat" that has truly survived the test of time- better than our fedoras, I might add.

Just to add to the discussion, Koreans use spam in a bunch of stuff, most notably kim bap- rice wrapped in seaweed, much like sushi, but the focus isn't raw fish. Usually some yellow radish, spam, egg, carrots, etc. I think it has to do with the fact that Korea doesn't have much meat naturally, so we very quickly assimilate meats into our recipes. The fact that korean bbq has become popular speaks to that, I think.

swinggal

One Too Many
I love Spam! You can even get Turkey Spam here too.

I like to make a toasted sandwich with Spam, a nice, sharp melty cheddar and some Sharwoods Mango Chutney. So yummy!! Spam is nice cubed in pasta too. Dunno why Spam is seen as such a bad thing these days. Maccas would be 10 times worse.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i lived with my grandparents when my parents split for a while. grandpa was WWII Navy and said that he hated Spam, but he also couldn't start Sunday morning without it fourty years later.

my Filipino friends have me appreciating Spam over steamed rice with banana ketchup.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In Chile, a Chinese version of Spam filled the supermarkets' (otherwise bare) shelves during Salvador Allende's difficult presidency (1970-'73). With little meat available in the cities, people ate this Chinese spam as a cheap substitute. They called it "chancho chino" ("Chinese piggy").

Chileans got so sick and tired of the stuff, they wholeheartedly abandoned it after Allende was overthrown in a military coup. To this day, Chileans refuse to eat Spam again, even the American version.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
I remember, at college, an Italian guy telling me he'd heard about the famous 'Spam' and how us Brits liked it. He just had to try some. How disappointed was he? It reinforced all the cliches about the English (or British) not knowing how to eat well. I've got to say it. I hate the stuff. It's revolting and celebrating it is in my opinion very very wrong. Or maybe you are all joking and I'm being far too serious..:eusa_doh:

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
miss_elise said:
is there a difference between spam and other canned meats? other than the name, of course....

I don't know for sure but there are a lot of different styles of spam - like food stuffs. In British supermarkets you get this:
prod_small-5653994.jpg

which is a spam like meat made to appeal to children, I guess. I don't know if this abomination is available in the States but it can't be good. This probably isn't strictly speaking 'Spam' but it's the same kind of 'meat' product.

miss_elise

Practically Family
yes, next to the spam there are other kinds of tinned meat products so i was wondering if there's something super special about spam...

i don't think that abomination is available in australia... or at least not at the supermarkets i frequent

yoonie

Familiar Face
For those that don't know, apparently spam is a contraction of "spiced ham", though more commonly known as the ominous "sliced pork....and more." If you haven't tried, the only spice you can really taste is salt- not that it makes it any less tasty, in a fast food sort ofway.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Well SPAM has shoulder of pork + ham. Other tinned luncheon meat products tend to not be a mixture. They tend to be just pork luncheon meat or chicken luncheon meat. But I think it's SPAM's unique mixture, Shoulder of Pork and hAM which has made all the difference.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Spam, still the mystery meat, escapes new U.S. food-label rules ...

Something Posing As Meat
Stuff, Pork and Ham
Spare Parts Animal Meat:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24