Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spats!

Magic Mark

New in Town
Being new here, I apologize if this was discussed before.

SPATS!

I need them ... I do a character act and I'd like to get a set of good quality gentleman's spats.

Also, did they serve a purpose other than decoration, like a necktie? I have heard they originated for protection while running through brambles and such. But what else do you guys (and ladies) know?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
They show up quite frequently on the US eBay, somewhat less on the UK eBay (which I've always found suprising, but there it is). Spatterdash.com mentioned above is the only place I know of currently making quality spats.

They do keep your ankles warm and keep dirt out of your shoes, but the main function really is aesthetic.

Cheers,
Nick

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Magic Mark said:
Being new here, I apologize if this was discussed before.

SPATS!

I need them ... I do a character act and I'd like to get a set of good quality gentleman's spats.

Also, did they serve a purpose other than decoration, like a necktie? I have heard they originated for protection while running through brambles and such. But what else do you guys (and ladies) know?

Before they became a formal decoration, from what I've heard they were used to protect shoes/boots from mud and dirt and were washable. Paved roads and automobiles phased out spats from being a common item to a formal accessory to becoming old fashioned completely. There was also a type of button up boot that made one look like they were wearing spats. I've heard they're called "spat boots" but I don't know what the real official name for that type of boot is.

Vibes Man

New in Town
In response to Magic Mark

I recommend Spatterdash (http://www.spatterdash.com).

I bought from them awhile ago and both pairs of spats are holding up magnificently. Someone mentioned that the site had some bugs, but they put up a new one recently so I'd check it out.

Sure, they are pricey but since you mention they will be worn for business ... I think a stylish "business expense" may be in order for your 2009 taxes.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of grey spats that I wore quite frequently with various suits throughout High School and College. I lost them for many years due to moving around the world. They came back into my life two years ago with my last move. I've started wearing them again, but not nearly as much as I used to. There are a few that I like from spaterdash.com that I'll probably treat myself to.

I also hear the spats came into fashion when town boots went away and men started wearing low shoes like we have today. Men wore them to keep their feet warm. Is there any validity to this? [huh]

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
manton said:
Spats protect not so much the boot or shoe but the hose underneath from street mud and horse, uh, droppings. This is less of a problem in the automobile age.

They could be independently washed, and cheaply replaced when necessary. This is not true of canvas or suede topped town dress boots. If you get the uppers soiled, they are hell to clean. They look nice, though, nicer than spats IMO.

bespokbootsaz6.jpg

Are those recently made boots? If they're antiques they're in incredibly good conidtion! I'd like to own a pair of boots like that someday. The only affordable pair I think are made by Stacey Adams, but the quality doesn't even come close to the ones in the picture.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Slim Portly said:
Here are my pair, ordered from Spatterdash. These are their Cotton Club style, white with black-and-white buttons and a black elastic band. The website has a few bugs, such as requesting your shoe size when ordering a pocket square, but the product is quality. They currently offer thirteen styles of spats for men, four for women, and four for children.

DSC04266-CROP.jpg

DSC04259-CROP.jpg

(The wrinkling in the bottom picture is due to my bending quite low to one side to take the picture of my own feet. The spats actually fit and lay quite nicely. The top picture was taken with a tripod and timer, and one can see that the wrinkling is minimal.)

I do occasionally see vintage spats with leather straps in good condition on eBay and I would like to acquire a few of these at some point.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I love white spats!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I believe Spatterdash sizes correspond to shoe sizes. I haven't noticed any correlation between vintage spat sizes and shoe sizes.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Magic Mark said:
At $60 a pair I'll have to give them a little thought. But they DO look nice.

Now I have to decide the best style of shoe to wear with them! I am rather partial to these -- maybe eliminate the need for spats:

http://www.ushist.com/wardrobe/mens...s/sa-00026-111_madison-shoe_black-white_l.jpg

I've seen and handled them in person, the quality is sub-standard as far as workman-ship is concerned, the leather is not much above card-board quality and will turn brittle quickly. I'd say that they are along the same lines of lack of quality as Giorgio Brutini shoes are. That is to say, they are appalling. Aside from the above, they have very obvious and visible zippers. Zippers were not available during the period when this style of shoe was commonly worn and they were certainly not available even during their waning years. If you want sometimes from the same period, get yourself some Balmoral boots or a good pair of spatter-dashes or search the ole E-Bay as you will not likely locate a quality example of these shoes unless you plan on purchasing a custom pair from John Lobb or something (who by the way, produce the best custom foot-wear on the planet and have a store-front in N.Y. now from what I gather).

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
I am getting married this coming July and would like to wear spats with my morning dress.

Seeing as the odds of finding proper vintage ones that fit are low, I will probably have to order a pair from Spatterdash. I will either buy one of their available models, or will consider commissioning a custom set.

What would be the proper spat to be worn with morning dress? What color, material, and button type would they have?

Mike

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Does anyone have any experience with the spats sold at Ascot Top Hats. The shape of these seem to be a bit more traditional compared to the ones from Spatterdash.

Any pics of them on shoes?

Also, if anyone can help me with my questions from above, I'd appreciated it.

Mike

monjio

New in Town
Hello to All- Spats Anyone?

I am so happy to see so many people interested in spats! I am a costume technician who has been making spats for some time now.

Recently I have been making mainly women's unique spats, but I have also made a few pair of men's in the past for theater.

I find them interesting, in each pair I try to take elements of the past and place them in our modern time! I also love to work one-on-one with clients from around the world!

I you need a pair made, please do not hesitate to contact me! I always enjoy taking on new exciting projects!!

Take a look at my first spat post in my blog: http://sartamexicana.blogspot.com/2009/02/spats-or-gaiters.html

And please stop by to take a look at my Etsy shop, with some of my women's creations! http://www.etsy.com/shop/monjiocreations

Nice to meet all of you and I would be glad to work with any of you in the future!!

Ciao,

Susana:)

Edward

Bartender
99% of "spats" I see nowadays, are cheap, white felt fancy dress items, alas. I'm planning to give them a go into the next Winter, both with white tie and with lounge suits. I think with lounge suits they would be an especially welcome touch; I wear co-respondents from mid March through mid September, and I miss them dreadfully in the long, cold months!

John in Covina said:
Amaising! The King doesn't wear them one day and phit, gone! Makes me think of Clark Gable not wearing an under shirt in "It Happened One Night" and undershirt sales dropped drastically.

Gone are the days, imo, when a member of the House of Windsor could exert such a fashion change (probably just as well, given that the current generation barely dress better than Boris Johnson).

Interesting too, George V's apparent influence on the morning coat superceding the frock coat. Forgive me, my knowledge of histroy from that period has a solidly Irish bias, so I may be wrong, but wasn't he a rather portly gentleman by that point in his life? I ask as I wonder whether his choice of a morning coat over frockcoat was influenced by this. IMO, much as I do like a good frock coat, the swallow-tailed, swooping cut of a morning coat is much more flattering on those of us who carry out weight around the middle.

nycmfox

New in Town
I thought you gents would like to know that I'm now offering spats on my shop site. A little over a year ago I heard from a customer who was looking for spats and soon learned that it was just about impossible to find a new pair made the same way and with the same materials that they were made 100 years ago (excluding custom made). So I began my quest to manufacture spats. A year later, after partnering with a leather worker in New York City's garment district, we've added two styles of spats to our shop site: standard grey (http://fineanddandyshop.com/grey-wool-felt-spats.html) and heather grey (http://fineanddandyshop.com/heather-grey-wool-felt-spats.html). Initially we've only made them in one size, however if the interest is there we will be adding additional sizes and styles.

Cobden

Practically Family
99% of "spats" I see nowadays, are cheap, white felt fancy dress items, alas. I'm planning to give them a go into the next Winter, both with white tie and with lounge suits. I think with lounge suits they would be an especially welcome touch; I wear co-respondents from mid March through mid September, and I miss them dreadfully in the long, cold months!

Gone are the days, imo, when a member of the House of Windsor could exert such a fashion change (probably just as well, given that the current generation barely dress better than Boris Johnson).

Interesting too, George V's apparent influence on the morning coat superceding the frock coat. Forgive me, my knowledge of histroy from that period has a solidly Irish bias, so I may be wrong, but wasn't he a rather portly gentleman by that point in his life? I ask as I wonder whether his choice of a morning coat over frockcoat was influenced by this. IMO, much as I do like a good frock coat, the swallow-tailed, swooping cut of a morning coat is much more flattering on those of us who carry out weight around the middle.

He wasn't exactly a slender man, but I think it was more one part of the slow death of the frock coat as formal wear rather than the instigation, being in decline since Edward VII's time (though, in fairness, he wasn't skinny)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner