Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spats!

Gent_ivory_paisley.jpg

just ordered these.

bowtieguyuk2000

New in Town
Spat wearer here!

Well, I often wear them but only with a suit. These days the only place to get vintage ones are probably e-bay. Ineed, the only company who still make them (I believe) is a US company who sell thru e-bay, theeir seller id is Glotux.

Their spats are press-stud/snap-fastening, whereas vintage ones were button-and-eye.buttonhole fastening.

Ray

bowtieguyuk2000 said:
Well, I often wear them but only with a suit. These days the only place to get vintage ones are probably e-bay. Ineed, the only company who still make them (I believe) is a US company who sell thru e-bay, theeir seller id is Glotux.

Their spats are press-stud/snap-fastening, whereas vintage ones were button-and-eye.buttonhole fastening.

Ray

The website spatterdash.com sells spats just like the old world ones. They use buttonholes, not snaps.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I found another potential source for spats on-line, http://www.historyinthemaking.org/catalog/accessories.htm. The gray ones are felt, I don't know how these would measure up to vintage boxcloth spats. The only thing I notice about these is the seam next to the buttonholes, I've never seen a seam there on originals. But on the plus side, they have straps and buckles. I'm going to e-mail Spatterdash by Tallardia and ask what her thoughts about adding boxcloth spats.

Vibes Man

New in Town
Someone mentioned this earlier but if you're interested in spats, everyone should check out this site:

http://www.spatterdash.com

I've ordered a few from them and although a little pricey, the tailoring is pristine and hand-made. Very classic in style with vintage button-holing. Got a lot of compliments at a wedding I attended and I highly recommend them.

Vibes

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Son_of_Atropos said:
Good find Nick D, keep us posted on the spats front.

Loungers in England could try the BYRD Collective, 92 Whitepost Lane, Fish Island, London, E9 5EN. Tel: 020 8985 0539.

Being a good old-fashioned company they don't have a website, but they do make great spats.

Alan

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
White spats - finer attire

Sounds interesting!
Anyone that have bought spats there, that would like to snap some pictures?

I recall someone on this thread writing about spats in thin white leather.
I have been thinking of having a pair made for me, but is there anyone that could support or dismiss this choice of material from a historical perspective? im thinking if you wore with a tux/ tails or maby living the highlife on the Ritz. :beer:

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
In the UK 'dress spats' are sometimes made from fancy materials such as satin or even silk. 'Real spats' [my perjorative term] are intended to provide protection from the elements and must be tough enough to live up to the job. Box cloth or heavier canvas is common, as are moleskin and felt. Leather is sometimes found on 'country spats' [my term again] although IME these are quite rare.

Alan

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I just bought a pair of gray vintage spats in size 11. They're the biggest I've seen but are barely too small for my foot.

Looks like I'll have to make my own.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've had that problem. I started with a pair in size 9-not a chance. I got a pair in size 11, but they're quite snug and don't cover the top of the shoe properly. I've seen some in size 12, but only a couple times and each time I had to spend the money elsewhere.

Does anyone know where to get boxcloth of the sort for spats? I've looked and not been able to find anything.

flynn's Boy

New in Town
Spats: What size to buy?

Hi Everyone,

Okay, I am in a bit of a quandary. I would like to purchase a pair of spats for one of my impressions, however, I have no idea what size I need. I take a 9 shoe and a 10-12 sock - but I cannot find a guide on line or anything.

I do want a real pair (I did buy a nice pair and of course they were to small). I do not want a cheap pair of vinyl or costumey ones.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Flynn's Boy :confused:

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I have the same question as well. I couldn't tell you how long I've wanted a pair, but can't find a sizing chart that'll help me. So I'm asking ANYBODY that harbors that knowledge, "how do I size one?". I wear size 9 - 9 1/2 depending on manufacturer and please, no links to the cheap modern day wannabe's. I plan on getting an authentic pair.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
A useful source of spats in the UK is military surplus shops. Brown canvas spats were military issue until well after WW2 for anti-mosquito use and, of course, the Scottish regiments still wear white spats on parade. They are usually very cheap. Sizes follow military sizing and don't relate to shoe size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points