Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speaking of Drive Ins?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
It was 77 years ago tonight that the world's first drive-in theatre opened in Camden, N.J. It was the brainchild of one Richard M. Hollingshead, Jr. The first movie shown at the first drive-in? "Wives Beware," starring Adolphe Menjou ("Wives Beware" was originally released some months before under the title "Two White Arms").

di1.jpg

Mr. Hollingshead's theatre is long gone, alas, but the second drive-in ever built -- Shankweiler's DI in Orefield, Penn. -- is still going strong.

If you're within an hour's drive of an ozoner, you owe it to yourself to pack up the kids and take in a movie under the stars tonight. Not sure if there's a drive-in near you? Drive-ins.com is the place to find out.

And just to whet your appetite, we'll share these drive-in intermission clips with you.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="200" height="162"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/klJMmSRIiUI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/klJMmSRIiUI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="200" height="162"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]<object width="200" height="162"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qK__U-1z-_A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qK__U-1z-_A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="200" height="162"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Charlie74

Familiar Face
As a young child, I remember my mother taking my brother, my sister, and myself to the drive -in movies. I remember seeing , Mary Poppins, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, 1 million years BC, and the Ghost in the Invisible Bikini, and others. I have to admit tha looking back these were fun times. Then they built new drive ins that came with air conditioning, but by that time I was a teenager and movie nights with mom fell by the wayside.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I remember when I was five or six, seeing Batman at the drive in theater in Oregon. That was an amazing experience. Of course I had a toothache at the time which I also remember and the whole movie was a bit lost on me.

But the drive in will always have a fond place in my heart.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
When I was about 8 I went to my one and only drive-in. My friend's mother drove us, we were in our pyjamas because we were going to be home really late, and the movies were Clash of the Titans and North Sea Hijack. Mrs Ash covered our eyes so we wouldn't see the nude bits. lol

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Sad to say that every Drive In Theater in my neck of the woods has closed,
except for two- the Fort Union Drive-In (Las Vegas, NM) and the Fiesta Drive-In (Carlsbad, NM).

As a kid my family frequented the Zuni Drive-In, a hometown favorite. It was truly an event when we all packed into the car on warm summer evening and saw a double feature at the Drive-In. Guess the multiplexes with their stadium seating and state of art projection and sound systems really put an end to something that was such a memorable part of the American landscape.

neon66.jpg

FYI- the Zuni was located on Route 66. Here's a list of Drive-In Theaters that have been located along Route 66. Most are ghosts today like my old Zuni, but there are a few still in operation. To see pictures of some of these theatres, click on the photo icon.
http://www.driveintheater.com/route66.htm

LizzieMaine

Bartender
An interesting bit of background on the First Drive-In Theatre -- R. M. Hollingshead Jr. had good reason to want to further promote the use of cars: the R. M. Hollingshead Company, founded by his father, was the manufacturer of "Whiz" gear lubricants and automotive specialties, so he'd grown up in a car-oriented culture. And anything that got cars out on the road more couldn't help but be good for the primary family business. (At least until the Whiz factory in Camden blew up in a spectacular accident in 1940...)

Talbot

One Too Many
Drive in movies, aaahh good times.

Back when I was a kid, you could tell if a movie was good or not by where it premiered. Good films would start at the cinema and migrate to the drive in. The longer it took, the more popular it was.

If it premiered at the drive in, well......

I know the heyday of the drive in had well and truly passed, but the introduction and rising pupolarity of VHS/betamax hire must have been a final nail in the coffin.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There were but two left in Sydney, but in the last couple of years the one closest to me, at Bass Hill, closed. As Skyvue pointed out, it was real estate value and greedy developers that got this one.

It was a beauty too, straight out of the late 50s, all googie architecture in the hotdog/snack stand and toilets, and the car speakers were vintage 50s too. It had atmosphere in spades, and it was the most to go there during a car club or hot rod night and hang out with the crowd. The movies showing on those occasions were second to the fun of digging the time warp with other Rockabilly friends or cats into the custom car scene.

From what I've heard, the drive-in movies were pretty big in Sydney back in the day - there were quite a few of them around. I rememebr as a kid that there was one at Casula, near Liverpool, that used to be used as a flea market during during the day on weekends.

James71

A-List Customer
I was out in Orange the other day and drove past their old drive in. Its in a sad and dilapidated condition.

Looks like a great set for a Zombie movie.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Here in the Swan River Colony, we still have "The Galaxy" it really is a step back in time to go to the Cafe, and trying to find your way back to the Vehicle, with an armful of junkfood, and the technology is so much better, not having to cruise around looking for a Speaker that doesn't crackle"

2938027970_78bf8beca2.jpg

I'm rather inspired to organise a trip back there very soon!!!

http://www.galaxydrivein.com.au/

Benny Holiday

lolly_loisides said:
I remember that too. The last drive-in in Sydney is at Blacktown. I go every now & then. Luckily it looks like it won't close any time soon.

I hope not! I signed a huge petition to save Bass Hill. :(

koopkooper

Practically Family
Defending the drive in

Guys, here is an article I posted on my blog page about a temporary drive in a guy was setting up in Sydney which I feel takes away from our existing drive in cinema http://cocktailnation.blogspot.com/

Life in the Penthouse-Kooper Defends Retro Antiquities

Over the weekend the Sydney Morning Herald ran a story about a man by the name of Paul Rosenberg who has decieded run a three month Drive in Movie cinema at the Randwick Racecourse carpark. This is the first time the eastern suburbs has seen a drive in movie cinema in thirty years. The 2nd of July is the opening night with a predictable showing of Grease on the big screen.

Shortly after reading this story I was checking my facebook account and noticed that two of my Sydney listeners was very excited about this event and were clearly going to attend. It got me thinking about the support that we offer the real deal historical antiquities in our society.

The Drive in is a perfect example, I am sure many retrofiles will jump into their classic cars and head out to this event for a fun night, but here is the problem, in Sydney we have only one Drive in left in the entire city, one has survived, and it's been in it's current location since the early 1960's, I'm talking about Blacktown Drive In.
Each year puts more pressure on Blacktown's existance as the land values increase, the operating profit must make the venture worthwhile.

Sentiment goes some way to ensuring the survival of this venue, but when Amalgamated Holdings shareholders start to think their returns will be higher with capital utilised elsewhere, its all over. Thankfully Greater Union operate this drive-in theatre efficiently and professionally and should be commended for ensuring a big slice of Australian way of life lives into the new century.

Here's my problem with the Paul Rosenberg concept...it takes away from the one struggling Drive in Cinema that exists today, sure people will flock to his night, but what about the other 365 nights of the year. If you love the Drive in Movies why not go to the extra effort and drive to Blacktown, sure if you are in the Eastern suburbs it's around a forty kilometre drive, but so what, pretty much going anywhere in Sydney is about that distance.

My point is that we have a wonderful Antiquity in the Blacktown Drive in that we really should support, infact there are many other wonderful surviving institutions across Sydney that we love, but do not offer any love to.
Then one day they are gone and we mourn, it doesn't have to be that way, if there is an old coffee shop that you love, go there, if there is a band that plays your kind of music then go along as often as you can an support them because they won't be there forever.

Lets not get caught up in one entraupenours dreams to stage a retro evening with some tacky Rock N Roll dancers and a pretty poor movies when the real deal exists just down the road.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Remco Movieland Drive-In, circa 1958, only $5.99. Quite expensive for the time. This was one of my dad's favorites. I wish my dad hadn't been so tough on his toys. From what my grandfolks told me he broke this birthday present in just about 6 months time.

The commercial for this Drive-In toy from the past has a "very young" Patty Duke doing the promo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO8mlBaCLs8

2336650840_dedd5624f8.jpg

Talbot

One Too Many
There is a nice one in Dromana here in Vic. You can still eat at flecked laminate tables in the snack bar:) .

Sadly, as Lizzie mentioned earlier, they have added extra screens to stay viable.

Benny Holiday

koopkooper said:
Here's my problem with the Paul Rosenberg concept...it takes away from the one struggling Drive in Cinema that exists today, sure people will flock to his night, but what about the other 365 nights of the year. If you love the Drive in Movies why not go to the extra effort and drive to Blacktown, sure if you are in the Eastern suburbs it's around a forty kilometre drive, but so what, pretty much going anywhere in Sydney is about that distance.

My point is that we have a wonderful Antiquity in the Blacktown Drive in that we really should support, infact there are many other wonderful surviving institutions across Sydney that we love, but do not offer any love to.
Then one day they are gone and we mourn, it doesn't have to be that way, if there is an old coffee shop that you love, go there, if there is a band that plays your kind of music then go along as often as you can an support them because they won't be there forever.

Lets not get caught up in one entraupenours dreams to stage a retro evening with some tacky Rock N Roll dancers and a pretty poor movies when the real deal exists just down the road.

Well said Koop! :eusa_clap

davestlouis

Practically Family
We went to the drive-in in the early 70s...my parents propped my sister and myself up on the hood of the 1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88, where we could watch the movie, and my folks stayed in the car, doing God knows what...I never thought to turn around and look.

By the 80s, we were sneaking friends into the theater in the trunk of a car(you paid by the carload and nobody else would fit inside), and drinking beer until we were sick.

Aah, the memories!

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
Best drive-in experience: a double feature of Creepshow and Swamp Thing (not the greatest films of their genre, but kinda the ultimate in drive-in fare and perfect for the setting). Lamest drive-in experience: She's Out of Control, a 1989 domestic comedy starring Tony Danza as a middle-aged dad obsessed with his teenage daughter's dating habits.

There had to have been something else going on that weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR