Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speaking of travel bags, murses and such ...

The AN6505-1 has always worked well for me. Small enough for a weekend trip but big enough for slightly longer. Sturdy enough to carry heavy stuff.

AN6505-1.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
travel bags should have wheels !
Sing it, Brother! You have to be a bit soft in the head to be schlepping grips these days with all the great new roller cases on the market.

The bag in question would make a decent club bag or weekender.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Hmmm... re. bags with wheels:---take a look at OneBag.com, in particular his arguments "Why wheeled bags are a bad idea". He makes a lot of sense, he also mentions that whilst leather bags look and smell good they are heavy and in humid climes they are subject to mould and mildew. A further point I would make is that expensive looking bags are a very inviting target to scamps and scoundrels.

wdw

One Too Many
You have to be a bit soft in the head to be schlepping grips these days with all the great new roller cases on the market.

I have to agree. For years I insisted on using shoulder bags as I always associated roller bags with air stewards and hairdressers, but suffered sore shoulders and deformed clothes as a result. I've now been using a roller bag for a year or so and couldn't go back.

If I was travelling superlight, say under 5kg, I might consider a small leather bag, although I actually use an overpriced Belstaff canvas bag in those cases.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just scored this off the bay 5 minutes ago....love the aviators Kit bag Baron. :)

$(KGrHqRHJBQFHm(hR16dBR9SNmiveQ~~60_58.JPG

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hmmm... re. bags with wheels:---take a look at OneBag.com, in particular his arguments "Why wheeled bags are a bad idea". He makes a lot of sense.
He makes some good points if your priority is to travel as light as possible. I'm an overpacker; always have been and always will be. I rarely travel with less than 100lbs. I'll gladly live with the shortcomings of wheels.;)

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Not quite 100 lbs per trip here, rather about 20-25 but I rarely if ever travel only with carryon luggage, if for nothing else then due to my shaving gear. I shave with a straight razor and there's no way they'll let me take that into the cabin of a plane. Add 2 suits, couple of shirts, underwear, pair of business shoes and you're quickly beyond the weight limit for carryon luggage. I clock about 35-40 plane trips/year, also own one of those duffle/doctor bags to be used as carryon and can only agree that they look very nice but are otherwise utterly unpractical for (business) travel. This is one item I won't find hard to give a pass on the aero site. BTW: I totally disagree with the site's advice not to carry a hard case. If you're taking suits/shirts along and don't want to send them away for pressing first thing after arriving in your hotel then a hardcase is imho pretty much the only way to go. Been there, tried that etc...

Last edited:

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
He makes some good points if your priority is to travel as light as possible. I'm an overpacker; always have been and always will be. I rarely travel with less than 100lbs. I'll gladly live with the shortcomings of wheels.;)

Fair enough-- that's a lot of luggage...I guess you must have one of those big steamer trunks with wheels mounted on it....

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Xenophon;1669197 BTW: I totally disagree with the site's advice not to carry a hard case. If you're taking suits/shirts along and don't want to send them away for pressing first thing after arriving in your hotel then a hardcase is imho pretty much the only way to go. Been there said:
Yes, his advice is definitely not aimed at the suit-wearing business traveller....still if you're mostly going to India you'll know that dhobi wallahs will press a suit quickly and nicely for a few rupees..... when I get the chance to wander round the subcontinent I'm really glad to have a soft squashy bag-but then I'm certainly not in a suit....

Edward

Bartender
Not quite 100 lbs per trip here, rather about 20-25 but I rarely if ever travel only with carryon luggage, if for nothing else then due to my shaving gear. I shave with a straight razor and there's no way they'll let me take that into the cabin of a plane. Add 2 suits, couple of shirts, underwear, pair of business shoes and you're quickly beyond the weight limit for carryon luggage. I clock about 35-40 plane trips/year, also own one of those duffle/doctor bags to be used as carryon and can only agree that they look very nice but are otherwise utterly unpractical for (business) travel. This is one item I won't find hard to give a pass on the aero site. BTW: I totally disagree with the site's advice not to carry a hard case. If you're taking suits/shirts along and don't want to send them away for pressing first thing after arriving in your hotel then a hardcase is imho pretty much the only way to go. Been there, tried that etc...

I gave up on hard cases a while back, after having several badly damaged. A couple came in badly scratched from their first trip; the feet on the bottom looked like someone had dragged them along a rough concrete floor. One had the handle broken off, another was split. Oddly enough, so far the least damage I've had done to a suitcase is one with soft sides. As to the contents, I simply never put anything in hold baggage that is breakable. I would never carry anything in the hold that a baggage handler might easily destroy, because they will. Baggage handlers treating other people's stuff with utter contempt seems to be a global problem, irrespective of travel class (happens on business too). I pack defensively. I bitterly resent not having nice luggage, but it's just not worth it. Expensive bags are destroyed as quickly as the nasty, market rubbish. It's a major reason I would take the train every time, where practical. As to clothes needing press, I rarely have a problem - iron and pack carefully, hang over a hot bath / in the same room as a running hot shower, for a bit and they're fine.

Recently purchased Weekender from http://www.original-flightjackets.com/
Other father's can have also beautiful daughters....

View attachment 3357

View attachment 3358

Nice! I do like a Gladstone-type opening. So much more convenient.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Well said Edward-- I believe Lao Tzu put it even more succinctly:-

The yielding overcomes the stiff
And the soft overcomes the hard.
Yet no-one applies this knowledge.

Damn clever these old Taoists !

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Well said Edward-- I believe Lao Tzu put it even more succinctly:-

The yielding overcomes the stiff
And the soft overcomes the hard.
Yet no-one applies this knowledge.

Damn clever these old Taoists !

Somehow I doubt he spent an average of 1 full day/week in airports or on a plane. :p

My Cubelites (Samsonite, have 4 of them) look like hell but they didn't break -touch wood- so far. A colleague of mine swears by Rimowa hard cases (aluminium shell, very sturdy construction yet light). The only problem is they only look like a million dollars before the first flight and they're so expensive that someone could take off with them just to have the case, never mind the contents.

As to the use of dhobi wallas in India...well, I live here and to entrust them with a 1000 USD + suit for pressing is courting disaster, that fair maiden who'll always show up if you try hard enough. Even for drycleaning I only go to 5 star hotels here, local cleaners don't change their solvents and your suits smell like they've been doused with petrol when you get them back. I could write a long and heartfelt rant about misguided souls who think they can have a nice suit/shirt made on the cheap in India but after a number of trials the succinct conclusion is: don't. There's few really good tailors but if you want a quality, full floating canvas suit made by them you'll pay the same as for a nice Zegna, Paul Smith, Burberry prorsum or Armani in the west so if your build allows you to purchase something off the rack then by all means, that's the way to go. Iron law of business suits: if it comes cheap it invariably looks cheap and you don't want clients thinking that you're about to file for bankruptcy. I purchase all my business attire in Europe over the internet and pick it up whenever I visit.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Somehow I doubt he spent an average of 1 full day/week in airports or on a plane. :p

Probably not---I imagine he had other stuff to do ( or not do....) and even though he was one of mankind's more important figures the poor soul was never able to use emoticons in his writings either.

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
I travel ~45 weeks per year for work. 170lbs.+ is not uncommon (with tools and my impressive entourage of heavy-duty winter clothing, when necessary). I am also accompanied by my Maxpedition purse, ahem, BACKPACK!, it's a backpack all day every day.

These are for function. They are indestructible (the handlers hate them). The small one is carry-on compliant:

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_storm.php?Case=iM2950

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510

I use my large Saddleback bag when traveling for pleasure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy