Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speilberg/Hanks/Mighty Eighth

361stACE

New in Town
I see Steven Speilberg and Tom Hanks are going to make their 3rd WW11 mini series.
This time based on Donald Millers book Masters of The Air,which concerns aircrews of the
Mighty Eighth based in England..More business for ELC & JC methinks.

majormajor

One Too Many
I see Steven Speilberg and Tom Hanks are going to make their 3rd WW11 mini series.
This time based on Donald Millers book Masters of The Air,which concerns aircrews of the
Mighty Eighth based in England..More business for ELC & JC methinks.

Sounds good!

I heard about this earlier in the year. Any more news?:D;)

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Wonder where they will film it? There are still a few active bases with original buildings, not so many since the cold war ended.
Visited Eye airfield a few weeks back, back in 1995 you could drive the full length of the main runway, Now? barely a 1/4 mile
Keep us all posted.:cool:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wonder where they will film it? There are still a few active bases with original buildings, not so many since the cold war ended.
Visited Eye airfield a few weeks back, back in 1995 you could drive the full length of the main runway, Now? barely a 1/4 mile
Keep us all posted.:cool:
Maybe Duke Field (Eglin Auxiliary Field #3), Florida, and Ozark AAF, Alabama, is still avalable!

Back to the topic at hand..

I thought "The Masters of the Air" was a good read. Interesting to see the different philosophies for conducting the air war in Europe, what the bomber crews went through. Glad the project ended up where it did.

It looks like they will have the funding to do a good job.
Reportedly have a budget of $500 million...the most ever spent on a TV production.

http://www.thecoastalsource.com/2013/04/17/hbo-series-on-mighty-eighth-air-force/

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Didn't realize they had a liberal agenda when it came to leather jackets......
From what I have seen over the years, members hear have a very Liberal agenda when it comes to leather jackets. We do tend to buy them Liberally!

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Sounds like an interesting film but can some of you have a chat with your film makers and see if they will make a one from Bomber Commands perspective, those brave men are in danger of being forgotten.

Flashy

They need to be liberal with leather making jackets these days, we are usually a lot fatter than the skinny depression-fed kids who wore them originally.....

Received the book "An Army at Dawn" about the war in North Africa by Rick Atkinson today for Father's Day. Just started it.

Thought this was interesting;
"(in 1940) A (US) conscript had to stand at least 5' tall and weigh 105#; possess 12 or more of his natural teeth; and be free of flat feet, venereal disease and hernias. More than 40 of every 100 men were rejected, a grim testament to the toll taken on the nations health by the Great Depression."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy