Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sperry Top-Sider chukka shoe

Doug C

Practically Family
I plan to get a pair of Sperry's for the spring/summer. I've had a couple pairs of their classic deck shoes but it's been years. I really love the iconic combination of the "classic brown" color, natural rawhide laceing and white sole, even the blue insole is cool and adds a little to that classic look. A season or two ago Jcrew started offering a chukka version of that shoe and I really love it EXCEPT for the nu-buck leather and brownish colored sole. I've done a little searching and though there are some models that are closer to the "iconic" ones, I can't find the exact combination anywhere. Surely they didn't make all these silly combos and skip the look they're really remembered for... the combo from 1935. Anyone know of a place that has 'em by chance?

Doug C

Practically Family
I appreciate the effort Dyizz but none of those links have the chukka version I asked about - unless I'm missing it somewhere ?

storman113

Familiar Face
During high school, 63-65, dirty blue tennies,Sperry blue boat shoes, were the thing to wear. Working at the phone company in Orange Co, all the PBX techs wore the brown Sperry's. The younger guys like myself wouldn't so we wouldn't be thought of as one of the "old guys". Typical mistake, pride overcoming comfort!

Doug C

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Customer Service
Contact Us
By email: customerservice@sperrytopsider.com
By phone: 1-800-247-6575, Mon-Fri 8am-5pm EST

Thanks Tomasso. I called customer service and unfortunately she confirmed to me that the Authentic Original Chukka is NOT made in the original brown leather, only in the nu-buck (dark brown & green). Oh and they also have it in a lighter brown leather too, but it's more expensive.

Doug C

Practically Family
ok well since I can't get these in the plain old dark brown leather (@#*%!!) here are my options, a dark brown nu-buck suede and a caramel colored leather. I want to be able to just slosh around in water all summer in them and that's part of my negativaty against the nu-buck/suede but I'm not all that crazy about the color of the top grain leather ones (plus they're a little more expensive).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Odd that they don't offer them in their classic leather. But, you may be able to darken those by using one of the various oils or conditioners. Consult you local cobbler.

Doug C

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Odd that they don't offer them in their classic leather. But, you may be able to darken those by using one of the various oils or conditioners. Consult you local cobbler.

Yea, I told the rep how crazy I thought it was that it wasn't offered in their most recognized leather.. she didn't seam to give a crap, probably thought I was crazy :D . Anyway I though about going with the caramel colored leather and trying to dye them (I probably could) but don't want the hassle. I'll probably keep the extra $45 and just get the dark nu-buck ones.

Doug C

Practically Family
Well because while I love the design and style of the original low version, IMHO there are some advantages to the ankle version. Just a few that pop in my head are.. that they should feel a bit more secure and snug (less popping off the heal and gapping at the sides) , I like the updated look to this timeless classic over the original, AND they look (and should feel) just a little more masculin. Again JMHO.

ps- I do however admit that the low version would be better around water, I'd have both if I could.

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24