Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SPF 100

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
true, but that's one thing I hate about most sunscreens is the oily residue it leaves. I like my skin to feel soft, but not clammy! Also, when you're in the sun you will sweat, at least a little. It gets people like me thinking,' well, if it stays dry for all those guys running around in 90+ degree weather, that stuff's gotta be good!' :D
for the face: there are moisturizers out there that have sunscreen in them. Although, probably not the spf that you're looking for

JustJen

Familiar Face
mysterygal said:
I read an article that if you smoke, you're going to get wrinkles no matter what you do...

lol, please, please find this article! I need to give it to my mom. She's smoked basically her whole life and the woman literally looks about 40 (she's 57). She's done the whole sun worshipping thing as well (at least when she was much younger and heat tolerant).

I keep telling her it's gonna catch up with her but somehow, I secretly hope it doesn't. I'm hoping I inherited those genes too! lol

Cheers,
Jen

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I will definetely track the article down! It's hard getting someone to quit smoking. It seems no matter what or how much evidence you put in front of them showing them how bad it is, they still want to light up :rolleyes: My mother's 48, she is a beautiful woman, but over the last couple of years, she's got some very defined wrinkles.
Another thing you can show your mom, at cosmetic surgery clinics, there are brocures on the effects of aging.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Why thank you.

Naama said:
From your Avatar, I thought you'd be 18 or so :eek: (now really, I'm serious!)

Naama

Even from the link that the original poster posted, it seems that after a specific SPF, that there isnt that much more protection available. It then depends on how often you apply the crisco, er sunscreen, and what your sun exposure is.

I rarely go over SPF 30, I find it pointless. Id rather reapply a SPF 30, than slather on a 60. Ewww.

But then again I do have darker skin (wonderful melanin), thus varying my protection to the sun. That must be why my Granny looks so young! Of corse!

LD

Caledonia

Practically Family
I'd go with reapplying too. I'm a pale scot and I swear I can burn through a brick wall. I do eventually tan but it takes a very careful forever, and inevitably I have sun damage picked up over the years. We don't probably have the same sun problems here but I still only do SPF 25 or 30, and just keep applying. I stick it on 20 minutes before entering the inferno, then top it up every hour and use loads 'n loads 'n loads of the stuff at each application. I tend just to stick with the supermarket own brand as long as it's non-animal tested, and I don't usually get an oily problem. And I remember being a kid and mum slathering me with sun oil :eek: What was she thinking!! How I avoided being toast I don't know!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
My original point is that sunscreen isn't foolproof, but avoiding prolonged exposure to the sun when possible is best, as well as wearing a hat, using a parasol or covering up, getting a beach umbrella- whatever. ;)

It's interesting that during the Victorian Era, a tan was a sign of being working class, and pale skin reserved for the ladies of leisure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW