Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spit and polish

dr greg

One Too Many
After a couple of years in and around this forum, watching who says what, I have begun to wonder about the relationship between an appreciation of vintage or retro 'culture', and an awareness of military...issues, for want of a better word, now I don't know how one sets up such a thing, but a poll to see just what proportion of loungers are either ex-mil, or whose parents were in various forces and conflicts, including those not necessarily germane to actual retro issues, might be interesting.......
bartenders?

Cigarband

A-List Customer
I was rejected because of my eyesight, but have always been a HUGE Military buff and supporter. I concentrated on WWII for my History Degree. I worked the Flightline at Midwest Airshows for 15 years, and am now Reenacting at Airshows. (RAF Impression)
I love Spit and Polish.:D

Tiller

Practically Family
I've actually just started the process of going into the military by visiting each branches requiters. I'm a bit on the older side though, (24) and only have a semester left of college. Truth is though I feel I would make a better officer if I went Enlisted first and realized what it was like to be a private. My parents agree, although some of my friends think I should just finish school and try getting into whatever branch I decide to joins Officer program. Truth be told though I think I'll learn more going Enlisted first.

With that said I'm kind of curious to see how popular the vintage community is in the US military (if their are an remnants of it at all lol). And since the military is also known to be as brutal as high school when it comes to the insults, and joking I'm sure i'll be getting some good natured ribbing and nicknames :p.

Right now I'm more interested in going into the Air Force, but I was told that they are cutting back on personnel, and are the hardest to get in at this time.

Cobden

Practically Family
Was rejected from the Royal Navy myself due to eyesight; and am now giving some serious consideration to joining the army (unsure which branch yet, maybe Int or AGC) or the RAF.

Truth is though I feel I would make a better officer if I went Enlisted first and realized what it was like to be a private. My parents agree, although some of my friends think I should just finish school and try getting into whatever branch I decide to joins Officer program. Truth be told though I think I'll learn more going Enlisted first.

I appreciate that the culture in the US and British Armies are different, but it would be worth talking to the recruiting sergeant about this, as well as talking to some serving personell (both officers and OR's) to get a more of the record view - in the British army, it's not really recommended; though of course the US Army is very different

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
bruce wayne said:
I thought there was no such thing as ex marines?
Right! Once a Marine, always a Marine. However, if called upon to serve again, at the age of 63, with arthritis in my knee screaming, I might not be as much of an asset as I might once have been. lol ;)

Marcus

A-List Customer
a3.jpg

Semper Fi Mac!

1996-2003

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Tiller said:
Truth be told though I think I'll learn more going Enlisted first.

Right now I'm more interested in going into the Air Force, but I was told that they are cutting back on personnel, and are the hardest to get in at this time.

Tiller,

I'm a retired USAF Senior Master Sergeant. As a senior NCO I applaud your intentions regarding going enlisted first, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it if you are that close to finishing your degree unless you're unable to get accepted into OTS (or OCS) once you've graduated.

Yes, the Air Force is in the process of cutting back on personnel (about 4,000 is what I read last month.) But... the military is always recruiting, sometimes more, sometimes less. USAF OTS (can't speak for the others but I suppose they're similar) is highly competitive. They'll consider things such as your GPA and your particular degree. Back in the '80s I had an airman working for me who was unable to get into OTS because his degree was in German and they didn't need officer German linguists.

If you go AF enlisted and later apply for a commission and get accepted you can expect to attend the full OTS despite your AF experience. The exceptions are primarily in the medical and legal fields. My personal theory on this is that doing so is meant to accomplish two things: first, to discourage enlisted from applying, knowing they'll have to go through basic training all over again, and second, they rely on prior enlisted personnel to continue "training" their fellow trainees outside of classes on aspects of the AF since they already know it. Just my own theory, backed up by conversations with those I've known who have gotten commissions. (I knew a Master Sergeant who was selected to go to OTS at the same time he was selected to be promoted to MSgt. He went to OTS, and two weeks into it said to himself "What the hell am I doing here? I've already done basic once!" and opted to put his stripes back on.)

If you're unable to get accepted as an officer in any of the services and are willing to forgo the AF look into applying for a warrant officer position in one of the other services.

I've known many officers who never wore stripes; I've also known officers who were former enlisted. I've known officers who had an enlisted parent. I don't think that being former enlisted makes a big difference--I've known former enlisted officers that treated their troops like crap. A person either has it in them to learn be a good officer, or they don't.

In summary, I recommend using your degree to start a military career as an officer or a warrant officer. You've earned the degree--use it! This is a career decision and in the long run career-wise you'll be better off starting as an officer if at all possible.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary, etc.

Regards,
Tom

P.S. Oh, regarding the link between military and vintage I think it may be because the military is very tradition-oriented. We tend to honor our past and our predecessors and their accomplishments through time-honored customs and courtesies. And Paisley, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss it! Of course, I've been retired less than five years...

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Canadian Air Force (Regulars) 1989-1991 and 2002-2009 (Reserves) 2009-present. Father was British Army, infantry (1939-1946), his father Royal Artillery (1916-1919), mother's father tailgunner RAF (1943-killed in action 1994).

dhermann1 said:
Right! Once a Marine, always a Marine. However, if called upon to serve again, at the age of 63, with arthritis in my knee screaming, I might not be as much of an asset as I might once have been. lol ;)
I call "Bull" on that, Dan--your role would probably be teaching and training, but I have every confidence that you would still rise to the occasion. I figure probably in a "History & Traditions" gig, educating "Baby Jarheads" about their Corps heritage, or something similar...

As for me, most of my formative years were spent with my grandfather, a proud veteran of the most potentially-devastating military force ever assembled: USAF Strategic Air Command. Have fun while you can, fighter-pukes, 'cause someday we will return, and we're gonna be taking our Air Force back into grown-ups' hands...
200px-SAC_Shield.svg.png

astrang1

New in Town
Hello,
Currently serving in RAF Reserves. Hard to say what came first the interest in retro or military history. They have pretty much always been there.
Best wishes,
Al

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Tiller said:
I've actually just started the process of going into the military by visiting each branches requiters. I'm a bit on the older side though, (24) and only have a semester left of college.

Carefully consider the possible consequence of enlistment; include your death,
disablement, and possibly having to play God with other lives entrusted
to your rank. Add the fact that even if you survive, you will be on
your own with the memories and mistakes.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Harp said:
and possibly having to play God with other lives entrusted
to your rank.

Play God? No. Make decisions that may put troops in immediate danger with a good possibility of injury/death? Yes, that is a possibility. The Marines and the Army grasp that a bit better than the Air Force or Navy, I think, because they train for direct combat more than we did. But I doubt any officer or NCO who gives orders in combat feels god-like when they do so.

It's the same in any potentially dangerous occupation. The police sergeant directing a response to armed criminals, the fire captain who sends firemen into a burning building. It's part of your job, part of your training and the only part God plays in it is your prayer that you're making the right decision and that your troops all survive.

Regards,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
...my grandfather, a proud veteran of the most potentially-devastating military force ever assembled: USAF Strategic Air Command.

My first assignment was to HQ SAC at Offutt AFB, NE during the height of the Cold War. Spent over five years there. Two things I noticed when I left: first, those of us who were assigned to HQ SAC tend to say we were "at" SAC while those assigned to SAC bases tend to say they were "in" SAC. Second, most people who went from SAC to TAC (Tactical Air Command) tended to grouse that in TAC the rules seemed to change and bend weekly... whereas in SAC, the rules were the rules and you followed them without exception, or paid the price. You knew where you stood, in SAC.

Cheers,
Tom

matei

One Too Many
I was in the US Army for a number of years... all those inspections certainly honed my shoe-shining, ironing and bed making skills. ;)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Play God? No. Make decisions that may put troops in immediate danger with a good possibility of injury/death? Yes, that is a possibility.

Regards,
Tom

That is what I meant, Tom.
"Playing God" is (was) a grunt slang term; perhaps I should have phrased that better.

Tango Yankee said:
My first assignment was to HQ SAC at Offutt AFB, NE during the height of the Cold War. Spent over five years there. Two things I noticed when I left: first, those of us who were assigned to HQ SAC tend to say we were "at" SAC while those assigned to SAC bases tend to say they were "in" SAC. Second, most people who went from SAC to TAC (Tactical Air Command) tended to grouse that in TAC the rules seemed to change and bend weekly... whereas in SAC, the rules were the rules and you followed them without exception, or paid the price. You knew where you stood, in SAC.
Indeed, Sarge. My grandfather (it was brief, but he considered one of the high-points of his career to be his time with the 99th at Westover slinging wrenches on BUFFs), and my prof/"surrogate Dad" the retired fighter-squadron CO agrees, always said that TAC was just a bunch of overgrown children flying by the seats of their pants playing with toys--then again, at the time Grandpa retired the Green Dragons were still part of Air Defense Command, before the TAC takeover. (The Colonel, on the other hand, saw it pre- and post-TAC... and I think his recognizing the issue says something for him.) Personally, I think some of the highest praise I ever received was being in a room full of old Wing Kings and Generals at a B-52 reunion and having them tell me "you may be a little young, but you're one of us..."--something I try to live up to the standards of every day, even if in my own unorthodox ways.

"Fighter pukes make movies--bomber pilots make HISTORY!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot