Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spitfire prototype - Any experts here?

Flieger

Practically Family
I've been up and down the internet looking for decent photos of the unpainted Spitfire prototype K 5054. There are stuff out there but the scans are mostly small in size and lacking detail.

I know there are a bunch of Spitfire aficionados here on the forum so I thought I'd take a chance in picking your brains. :)

So fess up: Who is sitting on the goodies on this beautiful machine? Was she bare metal aluminium (aluminum) or did she have that green tinted airframe? Best book sources?

Spitfire_Eastleigh500.jpg

(Art by Michael Turner)

/F

Eyemo

Practically Family
Did a doco on the Spitfire about five eight years ago for a programme called "Battle Stations" We used the Replica Spitfire Prototype that is at the museum in South(?).. I may have some stills of her...But they could be in B/W.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
The prototype was duck egg blue - a standard aeroplane colour of the day.

The easiest way to see a reproduction of K5054 is to visit Eastliegh Airport (where the first flight took place) or at least to pass it on the train...

Flieger

Practically Family
Eyemo said:
Did a doco on the Spitfire about five eight years ago for a programme called "Battle Stations" We used the Replica Spitfire Prototype that is at the museum in South(?).. I may have some stills of her...But they could be in B/W.

Thanks Eyemo but I'd prefer to see photos of the real thing from back in the days. Replicas are... well, replicas. :)

/F

Flieger

Practically Family
H.Johnson said:
The prototype was duck egg blue - a standard aeroplane colour of the day.

The easiest way to see a reproduction of K5054 is to visit Eastliegh Airport (where the first flight took place) or at least to pass it on the train...

Well, she was painted an Automotive light blue-grey by Rolls Royce sometime AFTER April 10 1936 - I'm looking for photos of her around her first flight, March 5 1936.
Supermarine_Spitfire_Protoype_K5054_Unpainted.jpg

(Photo: Wikimedia)

/F

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Flieger said:
Well, she was painted an Automotive light blue-grey by Rolls Royce sometime AFTER April 10 1936 - I'm looking for photos of her around her first flight, March 5 1936.
/F

It's worth pointing out that not all authorities agree that March 5th was the date of the first flight. The photographs taken of the first flight (whatever the date was) show a much more finished prototype than in the photograph above.

Flieger

Practically Family
H.Johnson said:
It's worth pointing out that not all authorities agree that March 5th was the date of the first flight. The photographs taken of the first flight (whatever the date was) show a much more finished prototype than in the photograph above.

Yes I agree on that. But the date of the first flight is not an issue here. All the sources I have found says that the prototype was not painted blue until well after the initial first flight(s).

The unpainted aircraft (whenever the photo was taken) is said to be part of "more then a dozen" taken that day. I'm looking to collect them all. :)

Cheers,
/F

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Flieger said:
Yes I agree on that. But the date of the first flight is not an issue here. All the sources I have found says that the prototype was not painted blue until well after the initial first flight(s).

The unpainted aircraft (whenever the photo was taken) is said to be part of "more then a dozen" taken that day. I'm looking to collect them all. :)

Cheers,
/F

I think we need to justify the phrase, 'not painted blue'. For the prototype flight the phrase would imply that it was either not painted at all or painted another colour. We need evidence for either.

Black and white photographs that are generally accepted as being of the first flight show a different finish from the photograph above. So, either the photographs are wrongly attributed or the prototype had been painted for the first flight, perhaps in a primer finish. I don't see why that should not have been grey blue.

Flieger

Practically Family
Ok, so let me rephrase: I want to reproduce (in a plastic kit) the F.37/34 (not named Spitfire yet) prototype as she looked in the photos taken at Eastleigh shortly before the initial first flight. The aircraft in those early shots doesn't seem to be painted in the overall "light blue-grey" colour. Was she unpainted? Was she carrying protective coating on part of the airframe? If so - what colour would that protective coat (primer) be?

/F

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Flieger, I have quite a substantial amount of info on K5054 including a lot of photos which I can send you.

FYI, K5054 was a variety of different schemes depending on period but never duck egg blue which has been suggested here. I have BS numbers (and FS equivalents) for the various paintjobs.

Luckily I scanned a whole lot of material regarding K5054 for FL member Doc Devereux earlier this year and I still have it on my laptop so PM me with your email and I shall send what I have to you.

Cheers,

Tim

Flieger

Practically Family
Hello Smithy and thanks for the generous offer. I would love to see anything you have on the early K.5054.

I didn't want to open a "can of worms" with my initial questions but I realise now that I might have done that anyway since this old lady has a special place in our hearts. If I have stepped on anyone's toes, I truly apoligize.

/F

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Flieger,

Although there is some debate about the colouring of K5054 at Eastleigh, it is now generally accepted that she was natural metal overall with the yellow/green zinc chromate primer finish to all metal panels, with the exception of the cowling area which was highly polished.

I forgot to mention that I have colour profiles of all of K5054's schemes, including an indepth article into these.

As I said PM me your email and I'll whizz it through. Should be useful for your project.

Tim

carter

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen, Fascinating discussion. Flieger's finished model should be quite interesting since Smithy is now winging more information to him.
Flieger, Is there a chance that we may see photos of your completed model in the future?

Flieger

Practically Family
carter said:
Gentlemen, Fascinating discussion. Flieger's finished model should be quite interesting since Smithy is now winging more information to him.
Flieger, Is there a chance that we may see photos of your completed model in the future?

Glad you like the discussion, Carter. And of course, I'll post photos of (my interpretation of) the Spitfire prototype. :)

/F

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I'm sure we'd all benefit from seeing Smithy's schemes or Flieger's model when finished.

I'm not sure whether the photos that show a finish that fits Smithy's description were taken at Woolston (where the prototype was built) or Eastleigh (where it flew).

Mike K.

One Too Many
Flieger said:
Glad you like the discussion, Carter. And of course, I'll post photos of (my interpretation of) the Spitfire prototype. :)
/F
Flieger, I'm looking forward to seeing your completed model. What scale did you choose to work with?

Smithy, do you have one or two color photos of the prototype aircraft that could be posted on this thread?

Flieger

Practically Family
Mike K. said:
Flieger, I'm looking forward to seeing your completed model. What scale did you choose to work with?

1/32nd - I'm getting that age where my eyes and fingers won't cope with the smaller scales. :)

/F

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Smithy

I am not sure where you are getting your info but almost all historical accounts state that by the first flight , K5054 was painted a light blue colour.
She was bare metal and chromate during assembly and some engine trials but blue by time she finally flew.
The difinitive book on the Spitfire is " Spitfire" by Alfred Price.
This book deals with all aspects of the design from start to finish.
There is an exceleent sumarry of te first flight and the contraversy surrounding the date of the first flight.

Fleet16b

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland