Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

splattered paint on my Aero cafe racer

I Simonius

New in Town
felix03 said:
Hello all,

So I accidentally splattered some paint on my aero. I was spray painting, and I got 4 or 5 tiny spots on the right sleeve. Any advice on how to remove the paint? Thanks.

Got some paint off a newly painted railing with no warnings on it - a LOT of paint!

Here's what worked: I rubbed it between my fingers for ages and got it off. sore fingers but worth it. No solvents nothing. This was HH other leathers may be different

Corto

A-List Customer
This is easily one of the most informative threads I've read here on the Lounge.
Thanks for enlightening me to the non-traditional uses of WD40!

John Lever

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
You are NOT out of luck!

Get some WD40 and apply a small amount directly over each paint splatter (might want to dab it on with a Q-tip). Let it soak briefly then try gently scraping off the paint.

WD40 is not a petroleum-based product - it is made from fish oil - so it won't remove the finish from your jacket. In fact, if you Google search "WD40 Leather" you'll find that the stuff is actually used often for cleaning and conditioning all sorts of leather products (e.g. shoes, upholstery, etc.). Besides the normal lubricating applications, the product is great for countless other things. It can also remove paint marks from auto finishes.
Sorry, I disagree it's oil and white spirit [ paint thinner] and perfume.

I Simonius

New in Town
As does rubbing between the digits for a protracted period: seriously; NO damage even risked that way - try it first;)

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Jacket breathability should be maintained

To protect a jacket to the extent that it is impenetrable by water (i.e. using products made to waterproof leather boots) would be like wearing a garbage bag, no breathability. Consider using a barrier such as Kiwi spray leather protector which will hold off contaminants just long enough for easier cleaning while at the same time maintain the leather's breathability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner