Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Splint Etiquette Question

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I recently started wearing a splint in my mouth as a result of an accident. I wear it when I am doing any sort of resistance exercise, including dancing. It's kind of hard for me to talk with the thing in, though. Some people say they cannot tell the difference, but others keep saying, "Huh?"

Here's my question: during a dance, if someone wants to talk to me, should I leave it in and muddle through, or take it out? How can I somewhat gracefully take it out? I'd use a handkerchief, but I don't have pockets on any of my dancing outfits.

Suggestions?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
what on earth is a splint? Is it like a gumshield one wears for rugby etc.??

bk

Kind of. It's a fiberglass thing that goes on my lower teeth. It's to keep me from doing more damage from clenching my teeth.

I can dance for awhile without it, but after about an hour or so, the muscles in my jaw start to hurt.

Snookie

Practically Family
I'm supposed to get one of those, my dentist says. Mostly for sleeping.

I've got two possible suggestions. One, can you figure out alternate places to store a hankie? Such as tucked under a belt, up a sleeve, etc? It might be different for each outfit. You might even pin it or sew snaps to hold it there when you dance. But obviously you can only use the hankie when you're talking to someone on the side, because you'll have to hold it.

Two, figure out a short sentence that explains your situation ("I have to wear a medical mouthguard when I dance" or some such thing), and practice saying it clearly with a nice smile. Your partner might stop conversing (to save you trouble), or might not mind that your speech is a little different, but I don't think you should be embarrassed to explain. I don't think it's much different from wearing a knee brace.

I wouldn't split in the middle of a dance to run to your purse to remove it, though. If he really wants to talk to you, he can probably wait until the song is over. :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
hmmm...Although I would probably stitch the sides of the hankie up...and make a small pouch....perhaps even with a drawstring...just so that you are not having to -hold- the guard with an iron grip....in order to not lose it.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Now that I think about it, the trouble might be that I'm not talking loudly enough. People are saying "What?" only when there's a lot of noise. I'm really not a loud talker anyway. And I tend not to stand close to people.

While I'm dancing, I tend to wait until our heads are fairly close together to say something. (My usual partners know that I don't dance and converse well at the same time, anyway.)

One night a few years ago, I said hi to someone, and he showed me a card that said, "I'm having a silent day." Maybe I could wear such a card on a satin cord, kind of like Fletch suggested.

I appreciate the suggestions for storing a hanky, but I usually wear t-shirts with cap sleeves and a skirt with no pockets.

Victorian women used to wear pins that you could hook things on. Maybe I could wear one of those with a special hook for a handkerchief (or my splint).

Maybe I could just use words without the letter S (the sound that gives most of the trouble).

Or maybe I should just get closer to the person I'm talking to and talk louder.

Thanks for all your responses. I think I've got my answer.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I mentioned this problem to the craniofacial assistant yesterday at my appointment. She said to practice speaking by reading aloud or singing with the splint in. (There are patients who cannot remove their splint for six weeks--and those speak for a living must talk with it in.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy