Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spring and Summer Hats??

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
I don't wear straw in the summer either and I survive.[huh]

I am in Denver and although it may not be heat central, we do get some very hot weather in the summer months. During these times I wear felt hats with liners in them just fine. I have several lighter colored felts that I consider summer hats though they are not light-weight felt. I do have an Artlite (with full liner) but that is for unbearable heat. I have yet to sweat through any hats or pass out due to heatstroke.

Bottom line: wear what you want when you want but if you are concerned about appearance go for a light colored felt.

RBH

Bartender
I was thinking on this... I have seen many old photos of farmers wearing their felt fedoras in the field during the summer. They faired well with felt. I believe that the felt held up better than the straw for work, and if they had a straw it was saved for Sunday go to meeting time.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I was looking at a civil war uniform book in St. Marys yesterday and it showed a CSA soldier who was new. He had on the kepi hat. It said that most would ditch the kepi and get straws and full brimmed felt slouch hats, being that the kepi offered no real protection from the sun and rain. I also learned that the south supposedly used the butternut color when they ran out of gray.:)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I ditch the felt in favor of straw about the same time I put away the flannel and tweed for the season. [huh]

Stoney

Practically Family
Good Question

Fredthecat said:
What is the purpose of the plastic piece at top of liner? is it supposed to keep the hat off my prevoiusly thick hair? Seems to be a moisture trap in summer.

My guess is that these are added to prevent hair dressings and oils from staining the top of the liner. Does anyone know for sure? Maybe a vendor can answer this one.

Spellflower

Practically Family
I remember reading about someone considering removing a Federation lining to make the hat better in heat, but I think the hatsdirect folks advised against it, citing a risk of sweat getting through to the outside of the hat more easily. I know when I first got mine and took it hiking in the Blue Mountains of Katoomba, I kept taking it off and shaking out puddles of sweat that condensed on the plastic. Would it be better to let that evaporate out? Or would it stain?

NonEntity

Suspended
deanstuff,

If you're looking for a warm-weather hat for the casual activities you mention, take a look at the Tilleys. They make a lot of different ones in various materials, brim widths, and colors. Check them all out at www.tilley.com., but you'll probably be able to find one from another vendor for less than suggested retail price.

I've had mine--a khaki 4-inch crowned canvas one with a 2 7/8 on the front and back, 2 3/8 on the sides brim--for many, many years and just handwash it when it gets dirty. It has two giant brass grommets on each side of the crown that really does provide good ventilation, but my only criticism is that they also allow ticks, mosquitos, or other pests through, so I'd prefer if they were covered with fine wire mesh like the U.S. Army-issue jungle hats. It also has snaps on both sides of the crown to snap up either or both sides of the brim if you so desire. If a Tilley wears out, and there's no indication mine ever will, they will replace it for free.

if that ever happens, I'd get the same one again, only with the dark green on the underside of the brim that helps diffuse glare. It's purely subjective whether you like the look or not, but that Tilleys are extremely sturdy, well-made hats is indisputable. However, I do tire of Mr. Tilley's ceaseless bragging on his hats, his contention that owning one is like joining a fraternity, and his over-emphasis on the fact that they float and have a "secret" pocket in the crown. Try to disregard the marketing hype and rest assured they are high quality headgear worth what may initially appear to be overpriced hats.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With all due respect to our good friends in this thread, the heat and humidity in Canada and Colorado just isn't going to compete with the brutality of a summer in Maryland or more southern climes. In the hottest part of the summer here I didn't even pull out my Artlight. If you are going to be outside with a hat it would have to be a straw of some sort.

If it's the weave of some hats that bother you then I would look into the different weaves there are. Cuencas and Montecristis are different, as are Milans. As you said, maybe you need to go with a higher wpsi. Do some searching in past Panama hat threads and you're bound to find some examples that inspire you.

Spellflower

Practically Family
I'm a-going to the station,
Going to catch the fastest train that goes;
I'm a-going back North
Where the weather suits my clothes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran