Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Square toe shoes

Talbot

One Too Many
My local Florsheim dealer has some discontinued Royal Imperials on deep discount at the moment.

I'm tempted, but the toes are square(ish) - not my favourite style.

I can't recall seeing many square toe styles in old shoe catalogs (perhaps I need to read more) or in the 'show us your shoes' thread for that matter.

What is the history of square toe style?

All assistance appreciated with thanks.

Talbot

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Square toes have been in and out of fashion for centuries.

In 20th century America, they were big among the college crowd in the late '20s. Then, in the '30s and '40s, they became more keystone-shaped (the "French box-toe"). Among African-Americans, Latinos and Filipino-Americans, the style lingered on through the '50s and early '60s, competing with pointy-toed shoes. In the early '70s, chunky square toes made a big splash. In the early '90s, there was a brief resurgence of (less chunky) square toes. In the early to mid 2000s, they returned yet again.

Talbot

One Too Many
Marc,

Thank you. I'm always impressed with the depth of your knowledge.

I have decided to pass. They were comfortable, but whenever I looked down I felt like I was wearing the box they came in....

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
Marc,

Thank you. I'm always impressed with the depth of your knowledge.

I have decided to pass. They were comfortable, but whenever I looked down I felt like I was wearing the box they came in....

I know what you mean. I've a pair of square toed shoes and whenever I wear them they just don't look right.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
In Italy, the squarish toe is considered a classic & timeless style. All the top makers offer Norvegese stitched shoes (if the make them) with squarish toes even today. Lattanzi, Santoni Ltd Edition, Uggolini, Bettanin & Venturi, Peron & Peron, and the list goes on.

The Shooman

Practically Family
Yeah, square toes have been around for nearly 100 years that l am aware of. lt's a very traditional toe shape, however many modern versions aren't so good.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Yeah, square toes have been around for nearly 100 years that l am aware of.

Oh, much longer.

King Charles I in 1636.

VanDyckCharlesI1636.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe square toes are often used to reduce the seemingly "long" appearance of the foot. I can't find the blasted material I had been reading about this (it was probably somewhere on the lounge!) but I understand there was/is a notion that pointy shoes are gauche, whereas a rounder toe, or square, is more fitting of a pleasing ensemble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo