Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ST LOUIS AMMUNITION PLANT

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Well it is official...the ammunition plant is demolished.....as of today....you may not find much about this place...it is one of those places that didn't make the headlines and i can;t post the news story yet, because it is not on thier website...

http://www.builtstlouis.net/ammo.html

As with most industrial cities, St. Louis surfaced anew during World War II, retooling factories and workers for wartime production. U S. Cartridge (St. Louis Ordnance) was the largest ammunition manufacturer in the world, producing more than one billion cartridges for the Allies. But the boom was short-lived. Between 1967 and 1980 the city lost 50,000 jobs.

Hondo

One Too Many
Wow! Thanks for the info, an interesting run down on history of that building, at the old San Francisco ship yard there also is a massive clean up of toxicant chemicals, thats on super fund list. I wonder if military or troop ships are only being built only at North Fork, I believe the west coast used to have many, Seattle, S.F. and S.D.
With the way this world is headed, you would think they would keep these sites and be prepared for the next conflict, to keep this country ready [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic