Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stack Hats

worn in your honor today, Chas...

012418_1.jpg

DSC02726.jpg DSC02725.jpg DSC02746.jpg DSC02747.jpg DSC02720.jpg DSC02764.jpg DSC02728f.jpg

I grew up in northern Vermont, and I'm STILL not tired of the snow, NOR the COLD. People keep telling me I will tire of it all. Not yet... BRING it ON!! Admittedly, I must be nuts. I'm here on the Lounge, aren't I?

It gives me great pleasure to add to a thread that I never thought I could. Only a dream before, but recently I found this gorgeous deep brown (nearly black in some photos) Stack Beaver 15 hat in my size. Not as top shelf or pristine as Alan's museum piece, but there's still enough left to know that Mr. Stack produced amazing lids. This one was used, yet well cared for. I suspect that it may have had a new sweatband factory installed, as it has all the factory marking, but there is no "Cushion Vent" system remaining. There are signs that it may have been part of the hat, such as the remnants of the markings on the underside of the front of the brim.

The felt appeared to be in near-perfect condition. However, upon more careful examination, there are typically-located fatigued areas in front and back of the crown. Not tears or perforated places YET, so some care must be taken in handling. A masterpiece, nonetheless!!

The last photo shown (7th in the series) shows the inside under the sweatband, where the cushion venting would be located...

Alan, meant to ask; what the hell is the white stuff in the grass there behind you? We don't see that type of grass here in SoCal. :p

Fire and Ice
BY ROBERT FROST
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

I've just returned from a visit to SoCal, and a 250 mile trip from LA to Santa Barbara bypassing the closed highway 101.
The ravages and aftermath of fire helped make it okay to accept the return to ice.

fire.jpg

ONE more Stack Hats question... It seems I recall seeing a photo of a Stack Hats store housed in the Ritz Hotel or Waldorf Astoria in NYC. Am I losing it, or do any of you other members remember anything like that?

Alright, alright... I may be losing it, but that's irrelevant.

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings All:
Charlie that’s such a beautiful hat. I know you are totally elated to have found it. I’m happy with you. I’d like to do a little more info gathering so as to be able to have a semi-intellegent discussion about Stack’s as i have questions about differing sweats, air vents etc over time with them and whether all “Stacks” were MacLachlan built?? Sourced?? Or other. Idk. Soon as i figure out how to post multiple pics in one post i’d like to do some comparisons. Again, major major outstanding Stack Charlie!! Revell in the “special find” newness time long as you can! Bitchin hat!!
Be well. Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21