Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stacy Adams shoes

DeaconKC

One Too Many
My SA Madison boots are extremely comfortable for my wide feet and have held up well for several years of weekend use. They are not heavy duty, but for the price are a shoe I will buy again.

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Thunderw, I enjoyed your review very much! I've been wearing my SA wingtips with my tux for a while now. They also get a lot of use with my jeans, in fact, my dad and his brothers used to wear them all the time. They look pretty good with most clothes, in my opinion.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Stacy Adams has this image that when you walk into a room, the "Shaft" soundtrack starts playing. You get a decent shoe, made with decent material, for a value price. Not everybody has the budget for shell cordovan.
[video=youtube_share;CHbYLjWEEQA]http://youtu.be/CHbYLjWEEQA[/video]

Fifty150

One Too Many
Yeah, I know they're not first rate. It may come as a surprise to some around here that not everyone can pay $350+ for a pair of shoes

Ain't it the truth.

Somewhere along the way, we all have to make the choice of spending a few hours' wages, a full day's wages, or a full week's wages on a pair of shoes. For me, Stacy Adams is one of the best, of the less expensive. When you look at the range of department store or mall store shoes, for under $200, there's a lot of shoes that really are not worth what they are charging. I'm spending $100 vs $500. Is one pair of shoes 5 times better, or worth 5 times as much? Luckily, I really don't have to make the choice. I don't have $500. So I am firmly in the $100 shoe market. And in order to buy a pair of $100 shoes, I have stop eating for 2 weeks, to save up that paycheck.

For you folks that own the modern SA shoes, would you put their quality on par with some of the modern (better) Florsheims or Bostonians?

For the same price, I would buy Florsheim. Better leather is the most obvious difference. Goodyear welt versus a 3/4 welt. And probably other differences in construction. As for comfort, my feet can't tell the difference. What I can tell you is that the Stacy Adams shoe is worth the money. I've put that shoe through a lot. It's eleven years old. Although I haven't worn it every day for 11 years. It has survived a lot of walking, hill climbing, weather, bar rooms, et cetera. It wasn't just worn in an office, while sitting behind a desk.

IMG_20230701_161309074.jpg

IMG_20230701_162533903.jpg

screenshot-2023-07-01-16-05-16-png.529768

1688254946847.png

Screenshot 2023-07-01 16.06.40.png

1688255093255.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-01 16.05.16.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-01 16.05.16.png
    264.8 KB · Views: 137

DanielPetmr

New in Town
I never set out to own a pair of Stacy Adams kicks, let alone two, but two pair is what I have, thanks to the local Value Village (a chain of mega thrift stores).

The first is a pair of black patent leather formal shoes, bought for $6.99 going on a year ago now, and which I have worn only with my tuxedo. (At this rate of wear, they'll easily outlast me.) The other is a pair of gray cap toes I bought last week for $9.99. These are in never-worn condition. Brand spankin' new.

I'm no shoe maven, but even I can sense that these shoes are second-rate at best. They look nice enough (from a few feet away), if a tad on the flashy side, although not nearly so flashy as some of the Stacy Adams offerings I've seen online. But I doubt they'd hold up to the rigors of regular use.

This is not a dig at the brand. There's a place for what the company offers, just as there's a place for, say, Bailey hats. They ain't exactly the good stuff, but they ain't bad for what they cost of metallic epoxy flooring dallas. And I've seen some Stacy Adams styles (spectators in particular) would might well appeal to the guys who hang out in this joint.
What is the quality of Stacy Adams shoes? Furthermore, where on the shoe ladder does it fall. Comments appreciated.

Fifty150

One Too Many
What is the quality of Stacy Adams shoes? Furthermore, where on the shoe ladder does it fall. Comments appreciated.

Stacy Adams tries to sell their shoes for around $100 - $150. A lot of their shoes can be found for less than $100. Some can be found for $50 or less from discount stores, online resellers, and even directly from Stacy Adams' website. So forget about the level of quality on "the shoe ladder". No way, are you going to compare Stacy Adams to a $500 shoe.

Stacy Adams is very low on the ladder, as far as quality goes. The one thing that I really don't like is their leather. They call it "kidskin". Extremely thin. It looks like some sort of laminate. When you wear the shoes down, they are not worth resoling. The cost of a resole, could exceed the cost of the shoe. If you get new soles on old Stacy Adams, how much longer could the uppers last? You'll just have trashed uppers on new soles. But there are companies that will resole them. And your local shoe cobbler would gladly accept your business. If I could fix shoes, I would also love to charge $100 to fix your $25 shoes.

If Stacy Adams are so bad, then who is buying them? Disposable fashion. You get something that appeals aesthetically to certain market demographics. When I was a kid, you could not find Stacy Adams in the more mainstream department stores. I remember seeing them for sale in stores that sold "zoot suits". Stacy Adams is marketed as an urban style, featured in hip hop videos.

Why do I buy them? I have the cap toe boot. I like wearing boots. They appealed to me aesthetically. I bought them at a low price, knowing that I was not getting a top of the line boot. I will not be disappointed when I have to throw them away. I have zero expectations of owning this boot for life. You don't expect longevity. You can expect the shoe to last a few years. My shoes have lasted 11 years. They are very comfortable to me. Keep in mind that we all have different feet, and your feet may not like them. For the same money, Florsheim has a better shoe. Both Stacy Adams and Florsheim are owned by Weyco.

Screenshot 2023-07-03 00.25.59.png

Fifty150

One Too Many
Here are my Stacy Adams from 2012. They were comfortable from the very beginning. I didn't experience a "break in" period where my feet hurt. I never got any blisters. These shoes fit and feel good on my feet. Las Vegas, New York City, Seattle, San Francisco....... big cities which are "walkable". They saw a lot of miles on pavement. And they saw a lot of nightclub and bar room floors. Where people are spilling drinks and vomiting. Weddings. Where I may have to throw a spinning back kick.

I had a cobbler apply a piece of rubber over the leather sole. Instant traction, and I wouldn't have to think about resoling for a long time. The rubber is available from Amazon. You could probably do it yourself with some glue from Amazon. I don't wear the same shoes every day. But these have held up. They need a little bit of care. Some leather cream and polish will help. I'm lazy.

Overall, I like them. Would I buy them again? Not at full retail. They are not worth $150. I would buy them on sale, if I can get them for under $100. I won't spend $100+ to resole them. It's just not worth it.

IMG_20230727_182216793.jpg

IMG_20230727_191917184.jpg

IMG_20230727_191939534.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-27 19.32.21.png

Screenshot 2023-07-27 19.31.43.png

1690512638269.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran