Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Standard Hat Works..Waco Texas

LonnieW

New in Town
Standard Hat Works in Waco.....alive and well.

The owner of Standard Hat Works in Waco has had some personal issues, and has sold the business to one of his employees, who has actually been "carrying" it for some time now. Cameron Morris is the new owner and is as passionate as anyone I've met about his vocation. I'm having him make me a new 100X, and here are some pics of Cameron and some of the early parts of the process. I'll post the finished product when it's done.

The raw blank being prepped for blocking:
210mxhu.jpg

The blocking process:
wvxxqv.jpg

9stfa0.jpg

348lik8.jpg

Burning the courser hairs from the blank after setting the brim size; it was amazing I actually got this pic:
2ng8w89.jpg

Plating:
k4v03q.jpg

The sanding and smoothing:
5v6984.jpg

Getting ready to cook:
eqw5ty.jpg

The blank about ready for detailing and finish work:
2u8uxdh.jpg

LonnieW

New in Town
Yes, I've seen that. Neither Lenny nor the other maker in the video are with the company now. For all practical purposes, it's my understanding Lenny essentially abandoned the company and left Cameron to run the store. Don't know any details and don't want to, but Lenny was apparently having some personal issues. Be that as it may, Cameron's a laid back guy to work with and I can't wait for the new hat.

LonnieW

New in Town
Actually, what you see is in my pics was the better part of an afternoon. And when I left, the hat was still cooking and would stay in the machine over night. The last pic is actually out of sequence, as it hadn't actually gone into the cooker at that time. But I didn't want to spend the night just to get a good last shot.

Also, all of the steps in the video were taken with this hat. The photo editing to get these posted was hard enough. I left out the "ironing machine" (where the hat is spun vertically and gone over with a flat iron) and some of the extra sanding steps, as it's really boring watching all the sanding being done.

Cameron doesn't use the propane torch to burn the fibers...too easy to get a hot spot.

The transition of the "feel" of the hat from raw blank to the end of what you see here was pretty amazing.

Last edited:

LonnieW

New in Town
Standard Hat Works - New Hat is Finished

Back towards the end of July I posted some pics of the early stages of the making of my new 100X Standard Hat Works hat.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...n-Waco.....alive-and-well.&highlight=standard

They finished up the seamstress work (thanks Katherine) and I was finally able to make my way back to Waco this past Saturday for the by hand crease work (thanks Cameron).

Here we go (the band is camel too, I just couldn't get the color right in the pics).....

s4uz3b.jpg

The brim is 3 1/4". I've always enjoyed the classic Open Roads and Stratoliners, and wanted something along those lines in a custom hat.

2ngrbt5.jpg

I asked them if they could do a classic "tied" bow. Check the stitching joining the sweatband ends.

2cwmv09.jpg

vmyjih.jpg

25psld4.jpg

Last edited:

LonnieW

New in Town
The 6 ply ribbon was on a roll date stamped 1974. They've got a wide assortment of 6 ply from that era. Some of the other grosgrain they have dates back to the '50s and maybe earlier.

Last year I added two Standard Hat Works hats to my collection. They were both NOS. The fedora was still open crown and never creased. The gray lords hat is the only hat I own that has kept its feather...it just seems right.

6b1adc1f0c938e0d8102c98eb9ff648c.jpg

87f8633f45f172a7c798c60bb114252c.jpg

e7f47804aa03ffd17f6e109fe830a617.jpg

2dd2a7a23871ce895887dd9ddae4a6a2.jpg

eb052a1bf939b23d003778be110c057b.jpg

fe45e9b2a4f7908cf11529234e649b7d.jpg

e770d6b471c381561a4b4c95cde76dc9.jpg

23f44a26d26beaf2839961a1dafd7441.jpg

The Sahara colored fedora is the only fedora I wear exclusively brim up. Both these hats are nice, but the fedora is a step up. The felt is decent, the sweatbands are nice, and they have some individuality that I like in a hat. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another if one came my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy