Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

State trooper's straw Stetson

My Pop's Closet

New in Town
I really like the straw Stetsons worn by Maryland State troopers and would like to purchase one. I'm sure that hat is also worn by law enforcement in other jurisdictions. I'm just not sure where to find such a hat, other than to contact Stetson directly. Any alternative suggestions?

big kahuna

Familiar Face
Order direct...

I have ordered two campaign hats directly from them...they have good customer service and reasonable pricing (no middle man mark-up)

big kahuna

Familiar Face
Kentucky Blues said:
How was the felt on those campaign hats?

The felt one is as would be expected, heavy and stiff. I scotchguarded the hat, and also have one of those plastic rain covers for it.

I really like the straw campaign, because it is light and somewhat breathable.

HPIM3855.jpg

job

One Too Many
I was checking out Stratton hats website for straw and western hats. I found that the straw hats come with the choice of regular to extra long oval blocking. I like that because I have a long to extra long oval head shape. Does anyone have any experience with Stratton hats.

ii-5-i

New in Town
Stetson Trooper modified

If you're the patient type you'll find straw trooper hats on ebay. I'm happy with this straw after dropping the front with a bit of steam.

Unfortunately the site won't allow the photo upload from my computer.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was checking out Stratton hats website for straw and western hats. I found that the straw hats come with the choice of regular to extra long oval blocking. I like that because I have a long to extra long oval head shape. Does anyone have any experience with Stratton hats.

Yes. Worn one at work for 25 years. First we had the "Sheriff F-42" black felt, which was popular. Then the "boss" decided that the "Campaign" hat was more to his liking, so we switched over to the F-40 black felt for formal dress, and the S-40 straw DB (double brim). I got mine in 7 3/8 LO (long oval). I preferred the straw for summer, but hardly anyone wore them. CHP in California uses this as their uniform hat. It looks very much like a National Park Ranger's hat (the "Smokey the Bear").

Stratton makes excellent hats. Very durable. The felt is stiff as a the dickens, which it is supposed to be. The straw is stiff like a pizza box :) which is also how it is supposed to be. These hats are pressure stamped on molds.

The best part, their prices are cheap. Again, I really like the straw, it provides great shade.

NOTE: the Campaign hats have a grommet hole in the front to accept the "shield" for the agency. They also have side "holes" or grommets to accept the "chin strap" or "behind the neck" strap to hold the hat on (like the military/US Marines). If you want something less "police" looking, the Park Service hat (Smokey the Bear) has less deep "dents" in the peak, and no badge holes.

job

One Too Many
In the About Us section of Strattons site they say that the Winchester Hat corp. is a subsidiary of theirs.
The quarterhorse felt hat and the western straw look good. I like that the Quarterhorse has a taller than normal crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW