Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steak 'N' Shake

BC_Box

New in Town
I think Steak and Shake is over priced for what you get. I like "Cheeseburger, Chesseburger" better than S&S.

I really love "Backyard Burgers".

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Alas, there are no Steak 'n' Shakes in California. I found out about them when I was in Missouri and fell in love. I must have had four meals there during my visit.
I miss that joint.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
I am also not happy with Johnny Rockets here anymore because they are now playing the BeeGees

Say it isn't so! I liked the food but too thought that Johnny Rocket's was too pricey. And out here in CA, I am always amazed by how busy In & Out is, all the time, day and night. Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy when I say I've never eaten there. [huh]

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
No more steakburgers for me, unfortunately. I've recently gone vegetarian. :)

Is there a woman involved, sir? My ex had me on a veggie diet and no alcohol too ... for about a year and a half. About 6 months back I hit the steak and whiskey again. Just to add to ShooShoo's post, Burgerville has a really good veggie burger ... stack the onion rings right on top. :eusa_clap

Richard

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Steak 'n Shake is very good, theres one near where I work so I enjoy going there every so often. Does anyone remember a chain called "Ritzy's"?
It was a '50's diner themed place that blasted the oldies in the dining room. That was a great place, too.

Jovan

Suspended
LocktownDog said:
Is there a woman involved, sir? My ex had me on a veggie diet and no alcohol too ... for about a year and a half. About 6 months back I hit the steak and whiskey again. Just to add to ShooShoo's post, Burgerville has a really good veggie burger ... stack the onion rings right on top. :eusa_clap

Richard
Nein. Actually a man. lol

I've been thinking about it a long time and decided I just don't want to selectively coddle and eat whatever is more pleasant to look at or tasty. Also, all of my dairy from now on will be bought from local farmers whom I know what they did to their animals. I have nothing against those who disagree with my viewpoint or eat meat, but the bottom line is I won't feel guilty and have better health and skin.

Fleur de vanité

New in Town
About a year and a half ago my mother and I spent a whole day shopping and we needed something quick to eat,but we didn't want to have the same boring fast food like Taco Bell or Burger King. So,we stopped in at Steak & Shake and we both figured it would be a great place to eat,it looked well kept on the inside.

My mother ordered the Mushroom 'N Swiss STEAKburger,fries and a chocolate/vanilla shake,I ordered the BBQ & Bacon STEAKburger,fries and a Chocolate/Chocolate Mint Shake. Although,the shakes were excellent the service was horrible and the fries were soggy and somewhat cold and the burger just wasn't as good as I expected.

Since then I haven't been back,it wasn't as great as everyone said it was.

I'll stick to my Whopper from Burger King!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I worked at one for all of two days. After seeing the training videos, they had a very creepy efficient way of service. Measured to the letter; servers were only suppose to visit the table a total of 4 times (once for order twice for delivery, 15 seconds later to see if everything was alright, and lastly for the check), placement of items on the table. It was a bit much for a serving gig.

LD

pretty faythe

One Too Many
LocktownDog said:

Richard
:eek: my daughter made herself a veggietarian for awhile. She was such a happy girl when she bit into that first piece of chicken!

I don't think we have a Burgerville or Stake & Shake...hmmm.....Sonic and In&Out though. Fat Burger....now I'm getting hungry for a nice juicy burger.

panamag8or

Practically Family
I love S&S... I just ate there last week. Most of the time, I take it for granted that we have 2 here, and don't think to stop in.

From the S&S website, here is the one I grew up going to.(for Jovan, it's the 13th St. location)
hswall2.jpg

About 15-20 years ago, someone robbed it and killed 2 employees. After that, most people were creeped out, so a couple of years ago, the company tore it down and replaced it with one of the boring generic designs.

Krystals is another one of the golden age survivors, and neither one was in Panama City when I lived there.:rage:

redlight_artist

New in Town
KY Gentleman said:
Steak 'n Shake is very good, theres one near where I work so I enjoy going there every so often. Does anyone remember a chain called "Ritzy's"?
It was a '50's diner themed place that blasted the oldies in the dining room. That was a great place, too.

There used to be one of these near my house and LOVED going there. I was so sad when it left. They had the best burgers and gave me a taste for chocolate cokes...

I'm so glad you mentioned this place. No one else I know seems to remember it and thinks I'm nuts.

Jovan

Suspended
panamag8or said:
I love S&S... I just ate there last week. Most of the time, I take it for granted that we have 2 here, and don't think to stop in.

From the S&S website, here is the one I grew up going to.(for Jovan, it's the 13th St. location)
hswall2.jpg

About 15-20 years ago, someone robbed it and killed 2 employees. After that, most people were creeped out, so a couple of years ago, the company tore it down and replaced it with one of the boring generic designs.

Krystals is another one of the golden age survivors, and neither one was in Panama City when I lived there.:rage:
I remember that. It used to look like that, except with some of the modern signs outside. Now it's exactly the same layout as the one off Archer Road. :mad:

For what it's worth, being a vegetarian is hard. I think I might have one of those blood types that can't handle it... so I'm going back. I felt absolutely drained without meat (even with meat substitute). I'll just make sure to eat organic/free-range when possible.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
The best thing about our local Steak & Shake is they host a free cruise-in car show every third Saturday of the month, April through September, with an outdoor PA pumping great '50's and '60's music into the parking lot. It may not be golden era stuff, but retro style abounds in both cars and clothing, especially with the rockabilly crowd. Very nostalgic.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jonniangel said:
One of the (very few) things I miss about Florida is Steak N Shake....love their Friscoburger. Hmmmm, maybe I should put that on the agenda for my next trip in a couple of weeks! :eusa_clap

Research tells me - Frisco Melt = toasted sourdough bread, 2 hamburger patties, one slice of American, one slice of Swiss, tomato, lettuce & "our secret Frisco sauce" - apparently not THAT big a secret - 2 parts Thousand Island, 1 part French dressing, so now you can make your own, JonniAngel!

Jovan

Suspended
And your point is...? :D
Matt Crunk said:
The best thing about our local Steak & Shake is they host a free cruise-in car show every third Saturday of the month, April through September, with an outdoor PA pumping great '50's and '60's music into the parking lot. It may not be golden era stuff, but retro syle abounds in both cars and clothing, especially with the rockabilly crowd. Very nostalgic.
Me and panamag8or should encourage our local ones to do such a thing.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
ShooShooBaby said:
burgerville is my one fast food guilty pleasure (except when i'm visiting CA, then it's in-n-out)! i am now drooling thinking about their spicy black-bean burger and chocolate shakes.

i've never seen a steak n shake, but i think i'd be more into the second half than the first!

I love Burgerville, too!! They're one of the few ethical fast food chains left, and it shows in their food...and I've never encountered such amazing service in a fast food joint!

Their veggie burgers are the best, and their chocolate hazelnut milkshakes are to die for.

Last time I was in Portland, I went straight there after a shoot with Compass Rose Studios. I was in my street clothes and [very scary] 1920's photo-makeup...I couldn't be bothered to wash it off before going in for that blackberry milkshake. :D

I can't wait until I move to the Northwest!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner