Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steele & Jones Cazadora 36 Jacket Review

Jaime

One of the Regulars
Hi all!

A few months ago, back in November, I booked my turn for one of the amazing Steele & Jones's Indiana Jones jacket replicas.

I've been a fan of Raiders since I saw it for the first time as a kid and it started my passion for leather jackets. Over the years I've had all sorts of brands, from budget to first division brands like The Real Mccoys, Buzz Rickson, Eastman Leather... and also true vintage, but never jumped on an Indiana Jones jacket simply because any replica I saw spoke to me the way the one I saw in the movie did. I just assumed it was all in my head tho. It wasn't the jacket but the idea of it, the experience of seeing Indy living adventures, and I made peace with that idea. The Bill Kelso Relic Hunter caught my eye probably the most and I was this close to ordering one but I never pulled the trigger either even though I know Kelso jackets are superb. That was until I discovered the Steele & Jones Cazadora about a year ago, and I knew that was the one I've been waiting for so long. That jacket spoke to me the same way the movie did.

I was looking for a particular fit tho. As a fan of Raiders since I was a kid, my intention was not to make it a cosplay piece but something I could integrate with my overall wardrobe, basically to steal the look if you will. I opted for the Main Hero version of the jacket, being that one the model we see the most in the film.

My time came in April and Diego, after reviewing my measurements, some photos of me wearing a different jacket, and that jacket's measurements, suggested me to go with a trial jacket first, just to be sure. I agreed and about 3 weeks later the trial jacket came.

trial jacket 1.jpg
trial jacket 2.jpg

I couldn't be happier with the fit. I think it matches what we see in the movie but also feels extremely wearable with my daily outfits. According to my chest measurement, I should have got a size 40, however, I opted for a 38, and Diego adjusted the rest of the measurements to match my own proportions. My only note was that I felt like the sleeves were a bit too wide for my taste. I told Diego but I also said that I didn't want that to compromise the pattern, I wouldn't like that if I altered the proportions too much that would affect the look and the way we perceive the silhouette. Funny enough Diego answered that thanks to my note they reviewed the pattern for their size 38 and the sleeves were in fact just a tad wider than they should be according to the original proportions on Ford's size, so making them a bit less wide was only not a problem but also a necessity.

That chat took place about 3 weeks ago and finally yesterday Diego sent me the photos of the finished jacket:

IMG_20220529_110349_HDR.JPG
IMG_20220529_110756_HDR.JPG

I am more than stoked. The jacket is all I would have ever dreamed the Indy jacket would be. It matches exactly what I see in the movie and even though it is not in my hands I know thanks to the trial jacket that the fit will be spot on.

What amazes me the most are the details. Steele & Jones Chocolate ribby lambskin, at least from the photos, looks like it came straight from the same batch they used for the movie. The way the striations spread and blend through the chest is exactly what you see in many of the shots:

striations.jpg

And also the back piece texture:

texture.jpg

This is by far the most accurate replica of a Raiders of the Lost Ark jacket I've seen, and again, I couldn't be happier with the look of it and I can't wait for the jacket to arrive, and of course, I will post the final fit photos over here when I have it, along with my overall and final impressions of Steele & Jones and their process, hopefully in a few days!

Great review! I still want one tho I know I wouldn't ever wear it but it is the jacket that actually started it all. Honest to God I'm not even sure what other reason for liking leather jackets might I had, had Raiders not made me fall in love with one. . .

There's also a great review of this jacket on Youtube and this happens to be the first Indy jacket I've seen that fits tremendously well & I'm not talking about screen accuracy here which only works for Indy and just about nobody else.

Jaime

One of the Regulars
Great review! I still want one tho I know I wouldn't ever wear it but it is the jacket that actually started it all. Honest to God I'm not even sure what other reason for liking leather jackets might I had, had Raiders not made me fall in love with one. . .

There's also a great review of this jacket on Youtube and this happens to be the first Indy jacket I've seen that fits tremendously well & I'm not talking about screen accuracy here which only works for Indy and just about nobody else.
Thanks Monitor! Yeah, I couldn't agree more, about this jacket being the one that started it all and about the fit of this particular replica.

Not saying that Wested or any other brands look bad or are bad jackets by any means but the fit on these would depend a lot on the person wearing it and also the type of jacket because they have so many different cuts and hides... So sometimes you would find a very well-fitting piece but most of the time, at least to me, not so good. With S&J however I would say every single photo I've seen online (and especially the video you mention) fit fantastic independently of the person, and I think that means something and speaks a lot about the attention to detail Diego and their team have.

As you well said, screen accuracy fit is for Indy only, however, us, mortals, if we want a good fit we really need to choose wisely ;)

Jaime

One of the Regulars
As promised, here is the jacket on me. It finally arrived today and I am beyond impressed. To me, it looks like they pulled it out straight from the movie, but I will let the pictures speak for themselves. Again, massive congrats to Diego and the team of Steel & Jones, this is a piece I will treasure for life.

IMG_0700.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG
DSCF4760.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG
IMG_0705.JPG
IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG

DSCF4773.JPG

Last edited:

tamz0r

Familiar Face
good looking jacket yo.

on a side note, is it crazy to say the fit jacket is a nice piece in itself? if someone made an actual indy jacket in a cream colored cloth, i’d be very tempted lol

TeaAdventuringPanda

New in Town
Jacket looks phenomenal on you man! You fit it well! Those first 2 pictures with you in the jacket are very photoshoot worthy haha! An Akubra Federation IV is a good (cheaper compared to most) enough Indy hat, but you gotta shape it yourself if you are looking for one! Get that whole Indy fit!

Jaime

One of the Regulars
Well done. Great fit and a beautiful hide to boot.
Thank you!

After a few months of wearing it, I'm still happy with it and It will stay in my wardrobe forever but most for nostalgic reasons than quality reasons I have to say. The jacket is beautifully reproduced, probably the most accurate version of all, and it shows, and also fits exactly like the movie which is something that not all makers can be proud of saying. Drapes the same, creates the same creases, makes the same silhouette... It is unreal, and the leather too, it is virtually the same as the original. The built quality, however... That's a different story. Wobbly seams, broken stitches... Overall is okay, but for a 500$ jacket and being a nerd jacket guy I expected more than an H&M or Zara-level jacket to be honest.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
Thank you!

After a few months of wearing it, I'm still happy with it and It will stay in my wardrobe forever but most for nostalgic reasons than quality reasons I have to say. The jacket is beautifully reproduced, probably the most accurate version of all, and it shows, and also fits exactly like the movie which is something that not all makers can be proud of saying. Drapes the same, creates the same creases, makes the same silhouette... It is unreal, and the leather too, it is virtually the same as the original. The built quality, however... That's a different story. Wobbly seams, broken stitches... Overall is okay, but for a 500$ jacket and being a nerd jacket guy I expected more than an H&M or Zara-level jacket to be honest.
I hear ya. My first Indy jacket was a Wested, second hand distressed cow. It had the dreaded flying squirrel arms. But everything else was great. The next one was a dark lamb, made to measure from Wested. it was only $250 I think in 2005 dollars. My last was a Tony jacket. I called him up and actually spoke to him. Said that I saw his talents being shown on Club Obi Wan. He understood the "fondness" we had for our Indy jackets. He made one for me and I still have it to this day. Same as you, the fit and finish were what you would expect. The hide is amazing. Sadly, it does fit as loose 15 years on, but I will never part with it.

R/ David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana