Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STEP BY STEP NAPTHA BATH

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cane Rod Maker said:
{edits are mine}
1. The sweat stains in the Grosgrain did not come out...So if there is something that will get a sweat stain out of Grosgrain, I'd sure like to know.

2. As far as sweat stains on the liner of the hat; does Woolite for Silk work? And in what proportions would you mix it?

3. Finally. Is there another fuel type that may work better than Coleman Fuel?

tonyb said:
I recommended water and white vinegar for dissolving sweat (salt) stains on grosgrain hat band ribbon. But I doubt vinegar would harm anything if it were included in a soap-and-water solution for cleaning felt. And it might help.

First, we need to determine from which fabrics the various pieces are made. Let's assume you're hat is a modern (1980's-current) model.

1. Chances are the Ribbon is either cotton, or as others have mentioned, cotton/rayon. Tonyb has provided a helpful solution, which I have also tested and found satisfactory. Remove the ribbon, fill a bowl with water and white vinegar (I did 50/50), let it soak for as long as you like (I let mine soak for a few hours). Make sure to RINSE IT THOROUGHLY as even diluted acids can weaken cotton if left to dry. If your ribbon is Cotton/Rayon, you should avoid twisting or wringing the fabric, and instead, roll it in a towel for drying and then lay flat. Avoid any bleaches, and make sure if you iron, to do so on a medium or low setting on the BACK of the ribbon.

2. The Liner is probably acetate, but could be silk (although I believe silk liners would only come in a custom hat - and probably only by request). Perhaps Art or Matt, or someone else could correct me, but for our purposes, we'll address acetate. Although Acetate is similar to Rayon, it requires different handling. Typically, you want to dry clean acetate - but that would not be an economical approach unless you already happen to have dry cleaning agents at home. Instead, you can use a lukewarm water and a MILD soap with light scrubbing. For tougher stains, you might try the white vinegar and water approach. In any case DO NOT SOAK the liner if there are any colors; the colors will fade and may bleed. Again, absolutely do NOT twist or wring this fabric, as it can easily be ruined. Any ironing will be on a low setting, and do so on the reverse of the fabric. Be careful, as it's easy to singe this fabric.

3. Last you wondered about Coleman fuel. Coleman fuel is a mixture of Naphtha and Aliphatic petroleum distillates in large amounts, and Xylene and Toluene in small amounts. In any case, you may use Coleman fuel if it's easier or cheaper to obtain, but you can also use straight Naphtha (nafta) which may be aquired by quart or gallon at your local hardware store. One way or the other, do it outdoors, wear gloves and eye protection. It's nasty stuff!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
RobFedoraField said:
ok, I have a dingy hat, 2 gallons of Coleman fuel, nitrile gloves and a bucket that is just too small.

after rummaging in the basement, I found a sterilite clear container that is #5 recyclable.

do you guys think that it's safe for the naphtha or will it eat thru it?

I have kept white fuel in old water bottles before. It should be fine in your container.

Safe bet...

I am using a plastic storage container I got from Wal-Mart. You should be fine with any plastic. Too large though, you'll need more fuel. If concerned about eat through which I doubt will happen, just put a few ounces in it to see what happens over the course of a day.

As far as safe....I am going to look for a small metal drum w/lid. No accidents then. Plastic worries me just for that reason.

Rob, definitly keep it outside and far enough away from the house; keep it covered well so it does not evaporate much.

Gloves are optional.

You can let it in there a good 24 hours. I was told what isn't out of the hat by then isn't going to come out.

RobFedoraField said:
ok, I have a dingy hat, 2 gallons of Coleman fuel, nitrile gloves and a bucket that is just too small.

after rummaging in the basement, I found a sterilite clear container that is #5 recyclable.

do you guys think that it's safe for the naphtha or will it eat thru it?

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
One question...

If you use a naptha bath, does your hat end up smelling like a fuel refinery? If so, how do you get rid of that petroleum smell?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Mobile Vulgus said:
If you use a naptha bath, does your hat end up smelling like a fuel refinery? If so, how do you get rid of that petroleum smell?

When I've done it, after it evaporates, there is no smell.

B

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
About "naptha"

By the way, I was looking and didn't see it (so forgive if someone already said it) but ya'all keep talking about "naptha"... so I went to about 4 hardware stores and no one ever heard of the word "naptha." Must have asked 15 different people.

I did go to Cabella's and find their last 2 gallons of Coleman's camp stove fuel, though. So I used that so far.

But the question is what name product does "naptha" go by? What product do I ask for if no one has ever heard of "naptha"?

Naptha can cause vintage liners to harden. You also need to be carefull if there are cracks in the sweat. As noted Naptha will not clean everything so don't expect miracles. For water stains you might try talcum powder.

Al Niente

Familiar Face
Anyone ever try to clean a hat with xylene? I use it to get the rosin off my bass when it gets built up. Works well for that, though it strips the polish off and you have to polish up the finish after cleaning.

Undertow

Mobile Vulgus said:
By the way, I was looking and didn't see it (so forgive if someone already said it) but ya'all keep talking about "naptha"... so I went to about 4 hardware stores and no one ever heard of the word "naptha." Must have asked 15 different people.

I did go to Cabella's and find their last 2 gallons of Coleman's camp stove fuel, though. So I used that so far.

But the question is what name product does "naptha" go by? What product do I ask for if no one has ever heard of "naptha"?

First, you'll note it's pronounced Naff-Ta (or at least that's how it was explained to me). I pronounced it Nap-Tha at first and was promptly corrected by a friend who pilots in the Air Force (apparently before he started flying jets, he was a mechanic and naphtha was what they used to clean nuts+bolts, etc).

Second, white gas or naphtha are generic names just as mineral spirits and denatured alcohol are not name brands. There are, of course, brands that produce and release these substances, but they're still referred to by their generic chemical names.

Last, I was able to find it in 1 gallon jugs at my local Menards (a regional hardware outfit, I believe). I DID find it at Home Depot, but only in quarts, and at about $7 a quart. Seeing as you're going to need at least a gallon, you'll either want to find cheaper quarts, or find a bigger jug.

In any case, it sounds like you've already purchased Coleman fuel so it's probably not necessary at this point. Also be careful with the reshaping of the hat. After all that cleaning, I steamed my lid too much and it shrank a half size. :eusa_doh:

Undertow

Al Niente said:
Anyone ever try to clean a hat with xylene? I use it to get the rosin off my bass when it gets built up. Works well for that, though it strips the polish off and you have to polish up the finish after cleaning.

I imagine this would work because it's a component of Coleman Fuel, but I can't personally give any anecdotal evidence.

here's to more info than anybody here wanted....

I gave my first naphtha bath a whirl. The entire time I kept thinking "spontaneous combustion" but myself and the hat came out ok in the end :)

Here were my tools of destruction
IMG_5394.JPG

the hat before the cleaning:
IMG_5377.JPG

IMG_5379.JPG

(notice the spot on the brim and the stain in the ribbon)
IMG_5380.JPG

I'm assuming this stain was from the prior owner(s) setting it down on a table
IMG_5381.JPG

it's hard to tell, but the hat really was filthy

now for "the Dip" (much funnier if you have ever seen Rodger Rabbit)
IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5387.JPG

it was in for a total of 3 hours, and every 30 minutes, I'd roll the hat around to make sure the crown was staying saturated. I also took a toothbrush to the worst parts.

set out to dry (which took almost 3 1/2 hours)
IMG_5390.JPG

this was really much more impressive in person, but without even letting the contaminants settle to the bottom, this was what was left after I poured "the dip" back into the container for storage
IMG_5393.JPG

part II

after a good drying, sponging, and brushing

IMG_5396.JPG

the stain on the bottom of the brim was minimized, but didn't go away
IMG_5399.JPG

the stain on the top of the brim was cleaned up really good, but the stain on the ribbon wasn't really touched
IMG_5398.JPG

alot of the "grunge" was gone, but the marks where the original crease was is still there, just not as obvious
IMG_5397.JPG

and here's the final product after a steam and crease and a healthy dose of lexol on the sweat
IMG_5405.JPG

IMG_5404.JPG

on many levels, this was a success and I'd do it again depending on the hat, but I think some little part of me was thinking there was more magic to it and the hat would come out in a New Old Stock condition. while it didn't do that, it did breath new life into an old hat that was soiled, stained, and faded. The hat has become one of my new favorites and a great example of a ~40 - 50's era hat (if someone has different info on Empire State Hats, I'd love to know more) and now I can wear it without feeling like I need to shower afterwards.

A serious Naptha bath & liner cleaning

The other night I posted a Stetson Soveregin; it looked great but; the hat had a bad odor to it; and the liner looked less than favorable; serious sweat stains. Honestly looked like someone took a leak in the hat; it looked that bad.

The Naptha bath did nothing for the liner; but I removed it and carefully uses Shout Advanced Heavy Duty Stain Remover[gel].

The Naptha bath did a great job cleaning the hat and the foul musty smell is gone. Looking at the hat when it came in, I would have never thought there was that much dirt in it. I wanted to post this picture of the dip container because I have dipped a few hats but never saw this much dirt come out of a hat.

All I need to do yet is install the white bow and size tag. Incidentially the bow was dark brown; filthy. Clorox and cold water made it like new.

I also posted the liner because now it looks 100%. I re-stitched it into the hat tonight. The product I used worked fantastic and the liner looks like new; it had no ill affect to the logo however I am sure there are some styles of liners where dammage can occure.

Stetsoncleanup007.jpg

Stetsoncleanup016.jpg

Stetsoncleanup026.jpg

Stetsoncleanup027.jpg

Stetsoncleanup021.jpg

Stetsoncleanup024.jpg

StetsonSovereign758LO017.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points