Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STEP BY STEP NAPTHA BATH

RBH

Bartender
Well ...pretty close.

THIS IS ALL DONE OUTSIDE IN THE OPEN AIR

You start out with your hat
a gallon {or 2} of naptha [camp fuel]
and a sealable bucket [5 gallon or so]

hpim4983.jpg

I pop out the crown on my hats and turn down the brim.
{this is my newest Stetson Stratoliner}

hpim4984.jpg

hpim4985.jpg

I then place the hat crown side down [as much as you can with what size bucket you have]

hpim4987.jpg

Then pour the cleaner over the hat.

hpim4988.jpg

hpim4989u.jpg

After the cleaner has been poured on the hat.

hpim4990.jpg

close the bucket and let soak for a few hours, 'swooshing' the hat and cleaner around in the bucket a couple times a hour.

hpim4991.jpg

After your soak time [can vary ] hang the hat outside to dry for around 2 hours.

hpim4992.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That looks interesting. Thanks for the demo, R. Can you reuse the naptha for more than one hat?

Garrett

Does this have a negative effect on the ribbon, sweatband or liner?

RBH

Bartender
BobC said:
That looks interesting. Thanks for the demo, R. Can you reuse the naptha for more than one hat?
Yes you can Bob, just do not clean a dark hat and then put a light one in the same cleaner.
I have already cleaned my grey Marathon and now have my old Mallory 'the Dallas' soaking in the same cleaner as the Stratoliner was in.

RBH

Bartender
Garrett said:
I have never had any ill effect from doing this to any of my hats.
But I seem to remember someone had a sweat mess up on them from cleaning.
I sent a Open Road to Steve Delk one time for cleaning and as far as I know he used the same method that I show here.
As with anything... anything could happen.
I used to soak a hat for up to 12 hours, but now I do it for a lot less time.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Rusty -- thanks a million for this extremely helpful tutorial. Could you please show us an "after" photo of the inside of the hat (and the backside of the brim) like the "before" photo that you posted above. It will be interesting to see the results. (Any other "after" photos would be great to see, as well!).

Thanks!

JtL

RBH

Bartender
jimmy the lid said:
Rusty -- thanks a million for this extremely helpful tutorial. Could you please show us an "after" photo of the inside of the hat (and the backside of the brim) like the "before" photo that you posted above. It will be interesting to see the results. (Any other "after" photos would be great to see, as well!).

Thanks!

JtL
Will do Jimmy.
This Stratoliner was not in as good of shape as I had hoped.
It had what looks to me to be 3 'rust' stains and real bad sweat stains, the cleaning helped but did not get rid of them all the way.

The Marathon cleaned up great!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:

Some oils(in leather) inks(liner) and plastics(liner covers) can have solubility issues so when in doubt test first. A sound sweatband is much safer than a questionable one(common sense). As you have experience with Stetson's of this type they appear safe. Replacing some oils in the sweatband is still probably a good idea.

RBH

Bartender
rlk said:
Some oils(in leather) inks(liner) and plastics(liner covers) can have solubility issues so when in doubt test first. A sound sweatband is much safer than a questionable one(common sense). As you have experience with Stetson's of this type they appear safe. Replacing some oils in the sweatband is still probably a good idea.
So right RLK.
I use Lexol on my leather.

RBH

Bartender
Here ya go Jimmy, maybe if I left it in for 12 hours or so...[huh]

hpim4995.jpg

the stains are not as bad, but still present.

I have had several ask me about cleaning and thought this would help. If the hat is bad enough, a hatter may be best. But then again some stains are just tough to try and get out.
The Stratoliner had a large water stain on the crown, it is gone now but the sweat and rust are still visable.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Terrific Rusty! Thanks for that.

Just out of curiosity - what do you guys pay for naptha? A 5 litre bottle here costs around $25.

And...does this stuff make your hat more flammable? I mean...is your head going to go off like a flashpot at an AC/DC concert if someone lights a match nearby??? :eek:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Napthas will also vary.

NAPHTHA
năpˈthə, năfˈ–, term usually restricted to a class of colorless, volatile, flammable liquid hydrocarbon mixtures. Obtained as one of the more volatile fractions in the fractional distillation of petroleum (when it is known as petroleum naphtha), in the fractional distillation of coal tar (coal-tar naphtha), and in a similar distillation of wood (wood naphtha), it is used widely as a solvent for various organic substances, such as fats and rubber, and in the making of varnish. Because of its dissolving property it is important as a cleaning fluid; it is also incorporated in certain laundry soaps. Coal-tar (aromatic) naphthas have greater solvent power than petroleum (aliphatic) naphthas. Originally the term naphtha designated a colorless flammable liquid obtained from the ground in Persia. Later it came to be applied to a number of other natural liquid substances having similar properties. Technically, gasoline and kerosene are considered naphthas.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Thanks a heap Rusty. I picked up a gallon of naphtha a week or so ago but was dancing around the deed, this should do it. I had a couple stains on a strat and used "Sun & Earth" brand stain remover. It's an enzyme cleaner that I pretested on a couple felt samples from Art. It worked for me. www.sunandearth.com Nice folks located a few miles from my home.
Tom D.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
And...does this stuff make your hat more flammable? I mean...is your head going to go off like a flashpot at an AC/DC concert if someone lights a match nearby??? :eek:

No. The stuff evaporates completely without leaving any residue. Just give it a couple of hours (2-4). No need to panic if you're wearing you hat and someone lights a cigarette next to you... ;)

rlk said:

I have had issues with questionable (cracks) sweat bands were the die got into the felt.

feltfan

So you don't have to completely submerge the hat?
I would have thought partial submersion would lead
to uneven cleaning?

I have also read here that it is better to fold the
sweatband out, rather than leave it against the felt?

Don't you do any scrubbing at all? Surely there
is some way to maximize the penetration of the naptha
and removal of schmutz?

Finally, to the pro hat makers, is naptha removal the reason
why hat makers use a hat drying device (which spins the
hat dry)? I happen to have one...

:cool2:

RBH

Bartender
feltfan said:
So you don't have to completely submerge the hat?
I would have thought partial submersion would lead
to uneven cleaning?

If you want to buy more naptha, there is no reason not to cover the entire hat.
I use just one gallon hence the reason I 'swoosh' the hat around in the bucket every so often.

feltfan said:
So

I have also read here that it is better to fold the
sweatband out, rather than leave it against the felt?

I cant speak to that...never folded a sweat out before soaking. I see no reason why it would hurt.

feltfan said:
Don't you do any scrubbing at all? Surely there
is some way to maximize the penetration of the naptha
and removal of schmutz?

Sure sometimes I rub a tough spot. Just use common sense as what to do on that part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ