Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sterkowski caps

glider

A-List Customer
Pedantic correction: You mean a deerstalker, glider. The only "deerslayer" I know of is James Fenimore Cooper's Hawkeye.

I had a deerstalker back in my teenage hat collecting days - some of my parents' friends, knowing of my hat collection, brought me one they found at a shop in England. (Picture for an oral report about hats I did in eighth grade, 1968):

View attachment 395443
You're correct, deerstalker, I suppose the brim in back is to keep rain from running down your neck? I just got an E-mail from them, 10% off sale.

dkstott

Practically Family
Did your email for the discount cover all hats and caps?

I received an email about 10% off, but it only cover watch cap styles.

dkstott

Practically Family
For all the fans of Sterkowski "Shelby" model caps, they just announced 2 new colors in harris tweed.

Man, I hope the B.S. with Russia doesn't get in Poland!!!
Aww, hell. That's why the cap I ordered on the 15th hasn't moved in the last week; I hadn't thought about Poland being right next to the Ukraine. Son of a
Y4tOS5I.png

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
For all the fans of Sterkowski "Shelby" model caps, they just announced 2 new colors in harris tweed.

I just saw that. As if my bank account needs any more stress!

I-Jusa-I

Familiar Face
Would anyone be able to comment what sort of material does sterkowski use for the "band" of their maciejowka caps? So the part where the sweatband, visor, crown etc are attached to.

Is there a hard plasticy band or leather inside the wool or what sort of construction do they use?

Would anyone be able to comment what sort of material does sterkowski use for the "band" of their maciejowka caps? So the part where the sweatband, visor, crown etc are attached to.

Is there a hard plasticy band or leather inside the wool or what sort of construction do they use?
Assuming they make their caps similarly regardless of model, I don't believe they use anything in the "band" part of their caps that might make them rigid. They might use two or three layers of some kind of fabric as a reinforcement so that part of their caps will hold it's shape, but that's just a guess.

dkstott

Practically Family
According to their website, the visor is lacquered for stiffness in that model. The sweatband is leather, so there's some inherent stiffness.

• Details: lacquered visor 5.5cm len., crown's diameter ca.23cm
  • Lining: viscose
  • Sweatband: leather
  • Fabric: woolen cloth

Edward

Bartender
Has anyone bought or handled one of their Union Kepis? I've long been a fan of the look of one of those worn with a mc leather, a la the guy on Brando's left / right of the photo here:

1653129034415.png

I do have a green one I got years ago from an ACW reenactment place. It's a cheapo one, but nice enough. The Sterkowski model https://sterkowski.com/historical-r...ather.html#/24-size-58_cm/216-color-navy_blue looks to be a serious upgrade in terms of hat quality - I particularly like that the brim looks to be a single pieced of leather rather than leather sewn over card. Not concerned with historical accuracy to what was actually worn in the ACW here, more curious whether anyone has handled one and considers it worth the upcharge as it is more expensive than I could find one from from a sutler, but....

dkstott

Practically Family
Has anyone bought or handled one of their Union Kepis? I've long been a fan of the look of one of those worn with a mc leather, a la the guy on Brando's left / right of the photo here:

View attachment 427642

I do have a green one I got years ago from an ACW reenactment place. It's a cheapo one, but nice enough. The Sterkowski model https://sterkowski.com/historical-r...ather.html#/24-size-58_cm/216-color-navy_blue looks to be a serious upgrade in terms of hat quality - I particularly like that the brim looks to be a single pieced of leather rather than leather sewn over card. Not concerned with historical accuracy to what was actually worn in the ACW here, more curious whether anyone has handled one and considers it worth the upcharge as it is more expensive than I could find one from from a sutler, but....
@deadlyhandsome comes to mind from memory

I-Jusa-I

Familiar Face
According to their website, the visor is lacquered for stiffness in that model. The sweatband is leather, so there's some inherent stiffness.

• Details: lacquered visor 5.5cm len., crown's diameter ca.23cm
  • Lining: viscose
  • Sweatband: leather
  • Fabric: woolen cloth
That list does not specify what the actual "heart band" material is. I would like for it to be fully woolen so its not too stiff, I have another maciejowka from an independent polish hat maker but that one has a hard plasticy band, which I dislike.

dkstott

Practically Family
That list does not specify what the actual "heart band" material is. I would like for it to be fully woolen so its not too stiff, I have another maciejowka from an independent polish hat maker but that one has a hard plasticy band, which I dislike.
Have you sent them an email via their website? They've been pretty responsive to my questions about caps in the past..

I-Jusa-I

Familiar Face
Have you sent them an email via their website? They've been pretty responsive to my questions about caps in the past..
Yes I did send them a question through their etsy page, waiting on a response. Was just wondering if anyone here knew it too.

Edward

Bartender
The B!Ware hat company also offers a similar style. They are custom made but they are workman’s hats.

View attachment 428035

That's a brand used to be talked about round here a lot, but has sort of disappeared from visibility. Nice to see they are still around - I have one of their eight panel caps somewhere I got years ago, quite enjoyed the fact it had a wire in the peak so it could be shaped.

These always looked like a nice version of the Brando cap, though I wasn't so keen on the strip of gold leather they used in place of the original's chain.

I-Jusa-I

Familiar Face

Apparently they do use a hard rigid plastic material in the main band of the hat, at least on the maciejowka model 2 I was asking about. Shame, I really dislike the rigidness and would have loved a more flexible cap.

dkstott

Practically Family
FWIW. Sterkowski also sells a lot of their hats and caps through Amazon. I've found that returns are easier through Amazon than through Poland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ