Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Brewster review

simmonsgc

Familiar Face
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and review. I have a narrow face, and also have to be wary of brims that exceed, oh, around 2 1/8, or maybe 2 1/4 at most. Hence, a related question: What's the brim width on that lovely Stylemaster of yours? Nice hat, sitting there on your windowsill like a pie cooling...

GC

carldelo

One Too Many
simmonsgc said:
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and review. I have a narrow face, and also have to be wary of brims that exceed, oh, around 2 1/8, or maybe 2 1/4 at most. Hence, a related question: What's the brim width on that lovely Stylemaster of yours? Nice hat, sitting there on your windowsill like a pie cooling...

GC

The Stylemaster has a 2-1/2" brim, and a 4-1/2" tall crown, a little taller than the Stetson 4" teardrop crown. I actually haven't worn it yet, as I think it looks too tall and too brimmy on me.

carldelo

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
Problem I've had with cloth sweats is they tend to draw the sweat straight into the felt. Yet they are better than cardboard.

i like the contrasting stitch on the bound edge.

Keep up posted on whether sweat seeps through easily.

Sorry Matt, but I returned the lid - I would have been a good test-bed, cause I tend to sweat up my hats. FWIW, the fabric sweat felt like a smooth canvas-finish nylon, and I'm pretty sure it was two layer, like tubular webbing sewn flat. It was really comfortable, especially compared to the weird standard "leather" Stetson sweatband.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
carldelo said:
Sorry Matt, but I returned the lid - I would have been a good test-bed, cause I tend to sweat up my hats. FWIW, the fabric sweat felt like a smooth canvas-finish nylon, and I'm pretty sure it was two layer, like tubular webbing sewn flat. It was really comfortable, especially compared to the weird standard "leather" Stetson sweatband.
What were your reasons for returning it if I may ask? Was the quality not good enough? I also prefer cloth over leather (at least modern leather sweatbands), to the extent that I took the band out of a hat recently and sewed a cloth one in a week ago (I posted a thread asking for help at the time).

carldelo

One Too Many
avedwards said:
What were your reasons for returning it if I may ask? Was the quality not good enough? I also prefer cloth over leather (at least modern leather sweatbands), to the extent that I took the band out of a hat recently and sewed a cloth one in a week ago (I posted a thread asking for help at the time).

Well I mentioned it in a prior post, but I returned it for two reasons: the brim was too wide for me at 2-1/2"; the shiny finish made it too fancy for my uses - I wanted a tan hat for casual daytime wear with a couple of khaki jackets I have and this one is quite dressy looking. When I wear tan or brown-tone suits I almost always opt for a dark brown hat.

I want to emphasize that the quality of the hat was excellent - the felt was high quality, pliable and very soft, construction details were done very well, it was very light and comfortable to wear.

Tnhat

New in Town
Problem I've had with cloth sweats is they tend to draw the sweat straight into the felt. Yet they are better than cardboard.

Waiting on mine to arrive from Mens Hats.

I missed the part about the sweatband.

Love the hat but hate anything but good leather (I break out when the nasty gets trapped in the material).

So do I return it or have the band replaced?

Rolo Tomasee

New in Town
I have been lurking through the various post on this forum for the past few weeks. A couple months ago I bought my first Fedora, a Goorin Grizum. It is a fine hat that I like quite a bit. It has a stingy brim and it was this hat that brought my attention to Fedora's for the first time.

Well when I came across this post and saw the Brewster I knew I had to have one. It arrived today and I love it. It is everything that was mentioned in the original review and I am quite pleased with it. It is very light weight and I will be wearing it quite frequently.

I see that most here like the vintage hats but for a newby like me I am quite thrilled to be wearing a new stylish Stetson.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rolo - welcome to the forum. If it looks good and you like it, wear it with happiness. They look like they might be decent summer felts.

carldelo

One Too Many
Vintage is great, but for big-heads, they are 'rara avis,' oft sought, seldom found. The standard Stetson profile 10 teardrop is a beautiful thing, and luckily suits me perfectly. If it does you as well, then so be it, and no need to apologize. The Brewster was a wonderful lid, and I often regret sending it back - after all, I could have had the brim trimmed and bound to a more appropriate width. But now I have another tan hat, so the need has been satisfied. My best hat over the past several years has been a Stetson Hampton, another silk-finish, fuzzy hat, unfortunately discontinued. Mine is in charcoal gray, with a 2-3/8 bound brim that suits me to a tee.

Ronk

New in Town
image.jpeg
Well I mentioned it in a prior post, but I returned it for two reasons: the brim was too wide for me at 2-1/2"; the shiny finish made it too fancy for my uses - I wanted a tan hat for casual daytime wear with a couple of khaki jackets I have and this one is quite dressy looking. When I wear tan or brown-tone suits I almost always opt for a dark brown hat.

I want to emphasize that the quality of the hat was excellent - the felt was high quality, pliable and very soft, construction details were done very well, it was very light and comfortable to wear.

Brewster is my go-to hat for cold or windy weather when needing dressy. The wide brim on this hat came in handy during snow in Denver yesterday. For field work in cold/windy I grab my Christy's of London.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot