Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson crest dating

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I think you are on point there, as is Alan.

On the 3X, for general dates I’ve been finding the 30s hats have the city names around the crest. The early to mid 40s have those squiggly lines like yours. The late 40s drop the squiggly lines altogether.

Stars in the crest and the red manufacturing tag with one internal big rectangle is also usually 40s.

Yes, the stars stayed around on the Stetson 100s for a long time; but they were exceptions probably because they made the entire batch of Stetson 100 sweats at once or never changed the stamp.

This is what I'm calling a 1940's Stetson 3X that I just won in eBay auction. The sweatband logo says Vita-Felt Process under logo. This logo or crest is sharply detailed and has thin, upright beaver instead of chubby, hunched over beaver. The liner crest matches these details, and both have stars instead of maple leaf. Don't know how many other hats on the Lounge have this Vita-Felt designation under the logo. My personal guess is that this hat is from the early part of the period when the satin liner with gold roundel was used. Opinions, anyone?

MikeinRome

Practically Family
I think you are on point there, as is Alan.

On the 3X, for general dates I’ve been finding the 30s hats have the city names around the crest. The early to mid 40s have those squiggly lines like yours. The late 40s drop the squiggly lines altogether.

Stars in the crest and the red manufacturing tag with one internal big rectangle is also usually 40s.

Yes, the stars stayed around on the Stetson 100s for a long time; but they were exceptions probably because they made the entire batch of Stetson 100 sweats at once or never changed the stamp.
I appreciate that info about the squiggly lines.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Stetson 25 Crest with OPS tag - ‘51-53.

Gives more weight to our “general” rules of dates.

1306649B-5049-4859-B952-3B6812EF069E.jpeg
D409C1CE-B3E4-4A2B-B8EE-C8ADF75B2FC9.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui