Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Exposition Medals

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The one Randooch just sold.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Stetson 'The Avenue' 'Gold Medal' Expo Medal.

This one is interesting, as it has a faux wind tolley, and is dated Dec. 23, 1931. Any ideas as to why it may be dated '31?

07910.jpg

08410.jpg

08610.jpg

12310.jpg

09011.jpg

12010.jpg

11710.jpg

06112.jpg

Stetson 'The Avenue' 'Gold Medal' Expo Medal.

This one is interesting, as it has a faux wind tolley, and is dated Dec. 23, 1931. Any ideas as to why it may be dated '31?

The wind trolley is not faux, just a different design with a fixed button to secure a looped cord that is meant to attach to a coat button rather than a buttonhole. I have several Stetsons that share this design, though they are later (late 1930s) than yours.

Its a wonderful hat, Justin. No answers for the date, perhaps stamped by the retailer?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Garrett, thank you! It was sold to me as a 7, but it turned out to be a 7 1/8, so I lucked out!!

Alan, I can not see where to even use the loopd cord. It seems sewn down, or I just have no idea how to work th thing (or I just completely misunderstood, and the cord would be seperate from the hat, and you connect it to the hat and coat, rather than it being all-in-one on the hat). It's possible on the date stamp. Another odd thing is that there is no Lot # on the sweat.

Any ideas to what the 'Gold Medal' means?

Here is a photo showing the attachment of the cord on my Stetson Imperial. In this example, the button is sewn in place through the ribbon bow and the cord is sewn to the hat and wound around in the usual manner. It has a loop at the end which is affixed around the button when not in use, unwound and attached to a coat button when used as a tether.

hope that helps!

imperial11.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Great lookin' Stetson!

I don't think this one was meant to be used, as it looks like the part that should be attached to the button is sewn through the ribbon to the back of the button. Here is a photo:

00215.jpg

Where is the other end?

From the dinosaur bones, we know that many (if not most) if these wound up in the trash bin, severed by their owners. It is likely that many others were modified or disabled in some form or other.

I was very happy to reach the age where my mittens were no longer coupled to my coat sleeves by my mother and have never affixed a safety tether (other than an occasional chinstrap in gale force winds) since. I've never lopped one off, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran