Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Hats Question

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
I've been asked what I'd like to put on the Christmas list this year, and I think a decent new Stetson hat should be on. I've seen three hats that I think look nice:

Nostalgia, Chatham, Temple

The Nostalgia looks the best of the bunch, but is described as "open" crown. Do they all come this way and you have to crease/shape them? Or do they come pre-formed with a teardrop crown too? I've seen pictures of them both open and with the teardrop, and I really like how the teardrop looks. I don't know anything about shaping hats and I'd like to avoid having to do so on the new hat if possible (don't have a steamer; don't have any experience etc).

Does any one here have any of these hats, and if so how would you described their differences and how do you like them?

I'm looking for a truly "old style" hat in Caribou grey and am partial to Stetsons since I've had good luck with them in the past. These three really caught my eye, especially the Caribou color.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I don't have a Nostalgia but it is probably the preferable hat. It is the only open crown offering. The others come pre-formed.

I have both a Temple and a Chatham.

The Temple was a mistake. It's a flimsy hat that didn't hold it's shape when lightly moistened in a quick rain shower.

The Chatham is a decent hat. I like it. Wore it today. It's dimensions compare very favorably to an early '40s Stetson Eagle I have.

And good choice on the Caribou. It is a great grey. Works as dressy or as casual equally well.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Ray, I have or have had all three. If you must have a Stetson, go with the Nostalgia. Yes it has an Open Crown but there are threads in the hat forum on how to crease an open crown and you don't necessarily have to use steam.

HOWEVER, I suggest you look at the Akubra threads in the hat forum. The Federation IV, the Federation IV Deluxe, and the Campdraft would all fit your needs and at a better price point.

Do the research. It'll be worth your time and money.

Carter

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Hi Ray, about creasing/shaping/bashing a new hat, in all truth, this is nothing to be afraid of: you don't NEED a steamer, just a water kettle steaming away on the kitchen range will do just fine. Just pass the hat through the steam for a minute or so, and the felt's consistency changes, it softens and become more malleable. As long as you work with clean-washed fingers (so you don't soil the hat...) you can "shape" the hat pretty much every which way, and anything you "do", you can "undo". If you're going to be involved in hats, bashing is one thing you will always have to know how to do. Undoubtedly the biggest factor in bashing a hat is the quality of the felt. A hat falls or stands with ...the quality of the felt.
Try your hand at it!
Paul

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Over the past couple of years, there've been loads of different posts with steaming ideas used household appliances. A couple good ones were holding the hat over and above the dishwasher door and opening it during the wash/rinse cycle or start of the dry cycle when there'll be a big waft of steam coming out. If you have an espresso maker, others have advocated using the milk steam wand. And if you have a fabric steamer (for removing wrinkles or "refreshing" fabrics instead of sending them to the dry cleaner), that can work as well. Or, as mentioned, the tea kettle, or even a pan on the stove with the lid tipped open on one side. It doesn't take a lot. And if you wear it in the rain or drizzle, use that as a shaping opportunity while it's still a little damp and you set it aside to dry. Don't try working on it while it's absolutely soaked and dripping - you want it just slightly & evenly damp. The plus in using steam is you can shape & reshape & get it just right in a few minutes and wear it immediately.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
In terms of Stetsons, I would say either the Chatham, or the open crowned Nostalgia. Given your tastes, the Nostalgia will probably make you happier. The shaped ones you've seen are just to show examples of shaping. Do not fear open crowns. In some cases, you won't even need steam. If you do, boiling clean water in a pot will do just fine. Open crowns also tend to look more like old-time movie hats because they, too, were often open. Hand bashing looks less "perfect" and adds much character to a hat. I love it!

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
Interesting-- I guess I'll avoid the Temple then.

I do like both the Nostalgia and the Chatham. What I'd love is to get the Nostalgia but have the shop/seller shape it into the tear drop so it comes that way. I trust someone experienced more than myself with an expensive hat, I guess. Do shops you buy from online do that? I'll be in rural northwest CT for Christmas, and the only local quality hat shop I know of went out of business a few years back.

I guess the steaming route doesn't sound so bad, though I will admit I've never even tried it before.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
R-V, I haven't had any personal experience with any of the Stetsons you've mentioned, but I've had an Akubra Federation IV for about a week now and I'm very happy with it- AND I shaped it using no steam whatsoever. And I've had comparatively little experience doing that sort of thing. Dinerman has made and posted a great video showing how to put a diamond crease in a hat with three motions, and I just followed that-bada boom, bada bing. And bada-boom again. Seriously that easy. Don't fear the Open Crown!

Here's the link to the page with the video:http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10272&page=2

budward

One of the Regulars
Art

Hi, Ray. Get Art to make you one with the exact dimensions & colors you want. It won't say "Stetson" but it won't need to if it says Fawcett. My 2 cents.

Buddy

DerMann

Practically Family
The Chatham is a great hat, I love the heck out of mine.

But do beware, most Stetson hats have pretty thin and pliable fur. I don't see this a a terrible thing, but they are less substantial than Akubras or other hats.

That said, the Nostalgia looks magnificent with the large ribbon and open crown. If I weren't a poor college student, I would grab one.

RBH

Bartender
I would advise the Nostalgia , as it comes open crown.
Open crown fedoras are really easy to work with and there is just something about a hand creased hat that can not be beat!!!
Also dont forget about some of the open crown Akubras, fantastic hats for a great price.
Good luck!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
A dissenting view: I'd like to put in a good word for the Stetson Temple.

In contrast to all the horror stories, I've had no problems with mine. It's caribou gray, and I have had it for almost 7 years: it hasn't lost its shape, had its color run (despite plenty of rain and snow use), or begin to fall apart due to its "flimsy" construction. (It is indeed thinner/lighter/softer than my Akubras, but that's fine.)

Of course, it only cost $95 when I got it. At today's prices, the tougher, better-made Akubra fedoras are MUCH better choices... But I still like my Temple, and I wear it plenty.

The picture below was taken last December, really more to show off my then-new Sterlingwear peacoat, but I'm also wearing the Temple.
pea2007.jpg

Stoney

Practically Family
I would go with the Nostalgia

I really like the straight crown and classic styling of the Nostalgia, which is hard to find in most production hats these days. If you are bashing your first open crown, you may want to spray it lightly with cold water to soften the felt rather than steam. Many here use the slightly wet method rather than steam for shaping a crown, the benefit with this method is that you don't have to worry about shrinking the felt or sweatband.

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
Thanks again for the replies so far-- I've put both the Nostalgia and the Chatham on the Christmas list. I will probably only get one of them, but I'll let the gift giver decide what she wants to pick between the two. I suppose a little surprise is good. Eventually I will most probably get on my own whichever of the two doesn't appear under the tree this year. Maybe having both would be nice down the road.

carldelo

One Too Many
DerMann said:
The Chatham is a great hat, I love the heck out of mine.

But do beware, most Stetson hats have pretty thin and pliable fur. I don't see this a a terrible thing, but they are less substantial than Akubras or other hats.

That said, the Nostalgia looks magnificent with the large ribbon and open crown. If I weren't a poor college student, I would grab one.

I disagree with this - I love my Chatham too, and the felt is thicker than the Akubra Sydney - I bought both so compared them side by side. The Chatham is pliable, and I found the Sovereign felt to be softer and more shapeable than the Akubra. Offhand I'd say they are equivalent quality, but very different animals.

I agree that the Nostalgia is the best of the 3 you mention - I am waiting for Besdor to get the Bencraft version with the narrower ribbon and the brim binding - I'll be trying it on the day after they get it (it's not ready yet I guess). I believe the Bencraft Nostalgia will be $150.

In the meantime, noggintops have new coupon codes which I posted here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=674465#post674465

The Temple is on sale, with coupon it's only $100, the Chatham is $112, both very good prices.

panama jack

One of the Regulars
Ray-Vigo said:
Interesting-- I guess I'll avoid the Temple then.

I do like both the Nostalgia and the Chatham. What I'd love is to get the Nostalgia but have the shop/seller shape it into the tear drop so it comes that way. I trust someone experienced more than myself with an expensive hat, I guess. Do shops you buy from online do that? I'll be in rural northwest CT for Christmas, and the only local quality hat shop I know of went out of business a few years back.

I guess the steaming route doesn't sound so bad, though I will admit I've never even tried it before.

Ray-Vigo,
If you will be in CT, there is a hat shop in New Haven called Delmonico's that can shape your new hat any way you would like. It probably wouldn't take you more than an hour to get there.
I have pruchased my first hat from them. they are very nice to deal with and they have been in business for over 100 years.
Just something to think about.

PJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo