Stetson Hats

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Maitiu, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Maitiu

Maitiu New in Town

I'm hoping you experts can give me some advice on a couple hats from Stetson I'm debating on.

First and foremost, is the 5x or 6x a high quality felt? I know nothing about what a 5x or 6x actually means other than it refers to the quality of felt? Is that right? Is there a big difference between the two?

As I stated before, I'm leaning towards Stetson. I've looked at the Akubra's and like what I see with some of their hats, but the vent holes on the sides bother me. Besides those 2 companies, is there someone else I should consider for a cowboy hat?

Out of the 2 I am going to link you guys to, which one would you say would be a better choice of hat? I should also mention, I'm not looking for a wide and or tall hat. Well, nothing obnoxious I guess. I don't want to stand out in a crowd if ya catch my drift.

Thanks in advance for educating me on getting my first cowboy hat!

https://www.stetson.com/store/pawnee-1.html

https://www.stetson.com/store/40-carson-1.html?refSrc=1763&nosto=nosto-page-product3

2. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack A-List Customer

There are some here who can answer this better than I can, but here's my input. Generally speaking, the more X's implies a better quality of felt used for the hat. Some hats are listed as being as 100X. That being said, a 5X for one brand of hat is not necessarily the same as a 5X for another brand. There is no universal system using X's to determine the quality of felt. It is better to determine how each manufacturer rates the quality of their hats.

As for the two hats that you mentioned, I don't own them, but I've handled a Pawnee and the felt is stiff. I would be under the impression that the Carson would be of similar quality. Neither of these would be of great quality, but would still make a fine fur hat if that is the direction you would choose to go. Before I bought my first hat, these were two that I was considering. After I handled the Pawnee, I wasn't overly impressed, but wouldn't mind owning one if the price were much lower. I wound up purchasing an Akubra Lightning Ridge from David Morgan for $190. It has a very similar look, no vents, and will stand up to the elements better than a lot of other fur hats that are comparable. The felt is not of the highest quality, but I would rate it better than the mentioned Stetsons. Take some time and read thru the numerous threads dedicated to certain hat brands here, and you will find something that you like. I will also add that spending just a little more money can land you a nice custom beaver hat that will be of better quality than what's been mentioned here. Good luck.

3. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

I own a Pawnee and it is a great hat, nothing cheap or poor quality about it. It is a stiff hat, as most modern western hats. I have used mine under torrential rains working on my property and it hasn't budged one bit.

It is all a matter of taste. The reality is most modern offerings don't stack up to their vintage counterparts.

I agree 100%, a custom hat would be more rewarding.

Maitiu and Just A Hat Rack like this.
  4. Just A Hat Rack

I probably should have added that the stiffness of the Pawnee wasn't a result of the felt quality, but the amount of stiffener used to keep the hats shape. A lot of western hats use more stiffeners to give them their desired shape as compared to other fedoras.

Héctor Fernández and Maitiu like this.
  5. Just A Hat Rack

Have you considered an Akubra Campdraft? The dimensions aren't too modest, and they come open crown, so you can shape it how you would like. Everything Australian is currently offering them for $105, a much lower price point than what's been mentioned. There is a dedicated thread to the Akubra Campdraft here on the Lounge.

Maitiu likes this.
  6. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

The whole “X” count issue comes up from time to time. First, it’s only useful when comparing hats made by the same company at the same time. A 3X Stetson from The 1950s is much better than a current 6X.

Modern westerns are stiff, but they have a place in my rotation. They are just about bulletproof and with some work can be shaped however you want them.

I’m not a big fan of most vent holes in hats either, but Akubra does it better than most of their competition.

Maitiu likes this.