Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson No. 1 Quality

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Worth it for the liner alone.
Would that I still be practising my Catholic faith, that as a child I thought, or was more probably indoctrinated to think, that the sin of covet would send me straight to hell, then as Fruno, so succinctly points out, that lining is my one way ticket.

When it comes to hats, on this forum I'm just a novice. I have about fifteen hats. three of which are bespoke, meaning, like a suit they were made to measure. But the best hat of all bears the name: Stetson.
422746829.JPG

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I think it will come down to the manufacturing tags on this one. If the back of the sweatband is unsewn that usually means pre-30s, but I just came across a 30s hat with this treatment ;) I am terrible with size tag dating - but this tag I would *guess* is 30s-ish.

View attachment 395827 View attachment 395828 View attachment 395829 View attachment 395830 View attachment 395831 New addition to my collection. Very impressed by the liner on this one. Assuming it’s a late 30’s/ early 40’s or so? Someone weigh in if you’d like. Anyway, it’s a nice one!

Jesse John

One of the Regulars
It's a real beauty!
Thanks man!!
Dang son …
Yeah that’s about what I said when I came across it!
That is an exceptional hat! You can be done for the year and know you came out on top! Congratulations.
Wow, this definitely puts some weight on this lid. Thanks man. I’m very happy with the find!
I think it will come down to the manufacturing tags on this one. If the back of the sweatband is unsewn that usually means pre-30s, but I just came across a 30s hat with this treatment ;) I am terrible with size tag dating - but this tag I would *guess* is 30s-ish.
Here ya go!
EC1F2F2C-7021-41BA-A4E8-935CEF7855DC.jpeg

Nice No. 1 Jesse! Man it looks hardly worn too, that reed tape is perfectly intact and those sweat stamps are so crisp, nice snag.
Thank you Ross! Yessir. It’s pretty crispy indeed! I steamed the sucker up and gave it a good cleaning. The interior still has a new car smell :D

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Nice 52 block, too! Is there a LOT # on this one? With that wide panel size sticker, I’m wondering if it’ll be closer to the 8xxx range.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
This one is one of my recent favorites on the board.

The lot number and manufacturing tag point to a 30s hat. Alan’s study really comes in handy for these No 1 Quality hats - they can be tough to place!

Thanks man!!

Yeah that’s about what I said when I came across it!

Wow, this definitely puts some weight on this lid. Thanks man. I’m very happy with the find!

Here ya go! View attachment 395987

Thank you Ross! Yessir. It’s pretty crispy indeed! I steamed the sucker up and gave it a good cleaning. The interior still has a new car smell :D

FA6F6BA2-1F41-4E74-8C15-5EA8065B08BD.jpeg

Stetson No. 1 Quality
Greenish Grey to Tan/Brown Grey Felt
6 inch open crown
3 1/2 raw edge brim
1 inch mid ribbon with frayed edge bow

Picked up what I am guessing to be late 60s to 70s Stetson No. 1 Quality western. My first No.1 and I knew it was going to need some shaping… but for the price I had to jump on it. It arrived in a box measuring about 9x13x7 so you can imagine this hat with a 6 inch crown and 3 1/2 inch brim was quite crumpled when I removed it from the box. I gave it a good brushing and decided it was definitely going to need some steam. I got to steaming it last night and the crown shaped up real well but the brim was really still quite wonky. Today I decided to get out the steam iron and flatten the brim… It came out fairly crisp. I’d really like to give this a kettle curl.. but there is not enough stiffener in the brim to hold the shape I don’t think… so that may be a future project. This hat does have a real presence to it.

755E642F-B8E5-4C77-9E1D-B608532CB3F8.jpeg
6175374F-31B7-4414-B25C-A030CEA6DB36.jpeg
F04905B7-E942-4DCB-B6D8-EEF29B0E01D0.jpeg
CE10B263-5CD7-42FC-86AA-E266C19E2022.jpeg
336ADD5C-B608-4467-A0E6-0D69CCE3FEB9.jpeg
4ADBD343-52FC-4C0A-B6A7-76FDB5418AC5.jpeg
43A2C976-F111-4AED-B73E-763E45289002.jpeg
4EB21A4C-ACFF-47BA-AFC2-A3951A8F7F16.jpeg
F2926E9D-3CA5-48B6-A4FF-6106B580C77A.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 408653
Stetson No. 1 Quality
Greenish Grey to Tan/Brown Grey Felt
6 inch open crown
3 1/2 raw edge brim
1 inch mid ribbon with frayed edge bow

Picked up what I am guessing to be late 60s to 70s Stetson No. 1 Quality western. My first No.1 and I knew it was going to need some shaping… but for the price I had to jump on it. It arrived in a box measuring about 9x13x7 so you can imagine this hat with a 6 inch crown and 3 1/2 inch brim was quite crumpled when I removed it from the box. I gave it a good brushing and decided it was definitely going to need some steam. I got to steaming it last night and the crown shaped up real well but the brim was really still quite wonky. Today I decided to get out the steam iron and flatten the brim… It came out fairly crisp. I’d really like to give this a kettle curl.. but there is not enough stiffener in the brim to hold the shape I don’t think… so that may be a future project. This hat does have a real presence to it.

View attachment 408654 View attachment 408655 View attachment 408656 View attachment 408657 View attachment 408658 View attachment 408659 View attachment 408660 View attachment 408661 View attachment 408662
You've always been a Number 1 guy around here, Joe!

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Most recent arrival:
IMG_4415.JPG
IMG_4416.JPG
IMG_4423.JPG

5-5/8" Crown (open)
3" Brim
1/4" Ribbon
130g Weight

Cleaned up pretty nice but still retains some character from its previous life. Unfortunately the sweat looks and feels like it's suffering from dry rot, so I wasn't able to roll it back too far to see much in the way of markings underneath. I was able to use a telescopic mechanics mirror to get a peek but no pics. It has the squat celled red factory tag with the flourishes on the sides along with the orange reorder tag. There is also a LOT number in the front but I wasn't able to decipher the number.

Looking through the Miller Stockman catalog thread this may be a Columbia model. Looks very similar to Jared's (@jlee562) hat.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Most recent arrival:
View attachment 420008 View attachment 420009 View attachment 420007

5-5/8" Crown (open)
3" Brim
1/4" Ribbon
130g Weight

Cleaned up pretty nice but still retains some character from its previous life. Unfortunately the sweat looks and feels like it's suffering from dry rot, so I wasn't able to roll it back too far to see much in the way of markings underneath. I was able to use a telescopic mechanics mirror to get a peek but no pics. It has the squat celled red factory tag with the flourishes on the sides along with the orange reorder tag. There is also a LOT number in the front but I wasn't able to decipher the number.

Looking through the Miller Stockman catalog thread this may be a Columbia model. Looks very similar to Jared's (@jlee562) hat.
Hey that does look like a match for mine! Nice get. Columbia was indeed my best guess as well. It appears as a "Staple Style" in the 1899 Exposition Pamphlet I linked earlier today.

Most recent arrival:

5-5/8" Crown (open)
3" Brim
1/4" Ribbon
130g Weight

Way to go, my friend! That’s the nicest new No. 1 I’ve seen in a long time. Pity about the sweatband, but it’s still a stunner.

Glad to see you around more again, Jonathan.

Most recent arrival:

5-5/8" Crown (open)
3" Brim
1/4" Ribbon
130g Weight

Oh my. What a fabulous find. Congratulations Jonathan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21