Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson No. 1 Quality

My latest acquisition arrived today. Stetson No. 1 Quality

I expected the felt to be thick but it’s the thinnest hat I have handled to date. It’s in beautiful shape aside from the liner is missing and some of the stitching on the sweatband has been torn.

The hat was shipped open crown and there is little to no evidence as to how it was creased. In fact it’s so thin and soft it won’t hold a shape so I’m going to have to hit it with some steam when I figure out how I’m going to bash it.

3 7/8 brim with a 6 1/2 open crown.

I’m trying to get a date on it but having trouble pinpointing the stockman farm supply name change so any help with that would be appreciated.

View attachment 187209 View attachment 187210 View attachment 187211 View attachment 187212 View attachment 187213 View attachment 187214 View attachment 187215 View attachment 187216 View attachment 187217

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great hat! With that much crown and brim there’s a lot you can do with it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J Williams

Practically Family
Great hat! With that much crown and brim there’s a lot you can do with it too.

Thanks Brent. It's undergoing a very minor stretch at the moment. I plan on curling the generous brim to tone it down slightly and it's going to be my poor man's Boss Raw Edge - or I guess Boss Bound Edge.. With the straight tall crown when it gets a center dent it has that cool reverse taper.

Thanks Brent. It's undergoing a very minor stretch at the moment. I plan on curling the generous brim to tone it down slightly and it's going to be my poor man's Boss Raw Edge - or I guess Boss Bound Edge.. With the straight tall crown when it gets a center dent it has that cool reverse taper.

Hey, Bowen has a bound edge Boss Raw Edge so who’s to say? ;)

I like the idea of giving it some curl... 3 1/2” is about as much brim width as I like.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hey JW:
I wouldn’t call that black No.1 a poor anything!!
That’s an awesome friggin hat!!
Other than the brim binding i have that same black hat with a curl. It’s awesome!!
A 4” brim with a 1/2-3/4” curl pulls it up very nice. It’s kinda a BRE’s bigger brother. Oops!!
The six cord ribbon with loose tails are special cool. Wish mine had the thin brim trim so it could match that other thing with the trim.
B
Ps: are you a 71/4 like the black No.1 is???

Last edited:

J Williams

Practically Family
Hey JW:
I wouldn’t call that black No.1 a poor anything!!
That’s an awesome friggin hat!!
Other than the brim binding i have that same black hat with a curl. It’s awesome!!
A 4” brim with a 1/2-3/4” curl pulls it up very nice. It’s kinda a BRE’s bigger brother. Oops!!
The six cord ribbon with loose tails are special cool. Wish mine had the thin brim trim so it could match that other thing with the trim.
B
Ps: are you a 71/4 like the black No.1 is???

Thanks Bowen, much like Brent I think around 3 1/2 is my limit so yes the curl is in order. Did you curl your own?

I'm actually a 7 3/8 but I found this hat in obscurity it was $31.00 shipping included....
I had the seller measure it and it was on the bigger side of 7 1/4 and with the bow missing and the sweat stitching already coming apart I knew I could give it a bit of a nudge.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
20191003_073708-1008x1344.jpg
20191003_073631-1008x1344.jpg
20191003_073626-1008x1344.jpg
20191003_073859-756x1008.jpg
20191003_075159-1008x1158.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Bowen, much like Brent I think around 3 1/2 is my limit so yes the curl is in order. Did you curl your own?

I'm actually a 7 3/8 but I found this hat in obscurity it was $31.00 shipping included....
I had the seller measure it and it was on the bigger side of 7 1/4 and with the bow missing and the sweat stitching already coming apart I knew I could give it a bit of a nudge.
Hey J:
$31 to your door....outstanding for you!!
I did not curl mine. It came that way.
Mine is 4” uncurled and 3 1/2 curled which is still a lot of brim and my outer limit.
I thought if you were a 1/8 we might trade. You are right about the felt. It’s surprisingly thin, flexible yet not floppy. It’s not far off from some of my other’s in that style and the sweatband leather on the older ones is bulletproof and so very comfortable. Some of Stetson’s best work imho. Enjoy your errr.....$31 diamond!!
I enjoy seeing it.
Now, i got this white one....it just needs a curl! Lol
Bo

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
72A9AC50-FE1A-4162-850C-F91E7DCB56C7.jpeg
7337F96C-36AE-4B92-850F-CE0F69990AA0.jpeg
BB503E15-1822-4ED6-BE37-99D03878D0FD.jpeg
47E04BEC-5891-4AE7-B44D-E2495B47B9BE.jpeg
9D3D979A-D7B0-40A0-9714-A6AC67F84B1F.jpeg
F4EFDA0E-6BDF-451B-B4DB-533573E0F4E6.jpeg
Greetings All:
Since the dog and i were out back and was looking at NO.1s i might as well take some pics.
The last pic is my best NO.1. for the last 9 yrs or so. She came in the mail too but shipping was a little steep!!
She’s a Clear Shepherd. Lol
Be well. Bowen

Wyldkarma

One Too Many

J Williams

Practically Family
Work is finally slowing down a bit so I'm going to start sharing my recent acquisitions and showing some love to everyone's posts.

I'm going to place this one here as well as on the Canadian Stetsons thread along with a few others.

Creamy white Stetson No. 1 Quality.

This hat was made in the Brockville hat factory in Ontario, Canada. The facility was purchased by Stetson in 1935 and closed in 1970. More info is available on the Canadian Stetsons thread and I will be elaborating a bit there.

I tracked down the store 'Jack Forman Doug Kilburn' If you look closely you will notice the penguin in the logo has a hat made of the word HATS and a shirt made of the word SHIRTS. Cute. The store opened in 1948 and is still in operation today, it underwent a few name changes and is now located in Calgary, Alberta under the name Forman's Menswear. The latest date I could find for the original name was 1954 so with that and other info I'm optimistically placing this hat as early 50's

I have taken good photos of the black and gold keyhole tag as well as the Brockville unique factory tag under the sweat.

I noticed the liner on both of the hats in this purchase have the liner seam on the right while my american hats have the liner seam at the back.

The sweatband is very supple and in perfect condition it also has 'AQUANIZED STETSON' branding which I saw recently on a Canadian OR on eBay. Any examples on American hats?

The hat pin is unique and I haven't seen one like it, I thought it might be the Eiffel tower initially but that made no sense. I did a bit of digging but couldn't figure what it's intended to represent. Any thoughts?

5 1/2"+ open crown and a 3" brim. The felt is excellent and has a nice hand, the crown is soft and dry shapes easily and the brim is fairly stiff. Overall build quality is an A+ although I'm not without bias ;)

I did set a new crease with steam and took a bit of the curl out of the brim. Most of my hat's are starting to take a similar shape so I thought I would try a couple back dents on this one. Let me know what you think if anyone has some suggestions to mix it up a bit I'm all ears.

IMG_1796.JPEG
IMG_1796.JPEG
IMG_1806.JPEG
IMG_1818.JPEG
IMG_1816.JPEG
IMG_1800.JPEG
IMG_1801.JPEG
IMG_1802.JPEG
IMG_1803.JPEG
IMG_1805.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_1797.JPEG
    IMG_1797.JPEG
    582 KB · Views: 607
Work is finally slowing down a bit so I'm going to start sharing my recent acquisitions and showing some love to everyone's posts.

I'm going to place this one here as well as on the Canadian Stetsons thread along with a few others.

This hat was made in the Brockville hat factory in Ontario, Canada. The facility was purchased by Stetson in 1935 and closed in 1970. More info is available on the Canadian Stetsons thread and I will be elaborating a bit there.

I tracked down the store 'Jack Forman Doug Kilburn' If you look closely you will notice the penguin in the logo has a hat made of the word HATS and a shirt made of the word SHIRTS. Cute. The store opened in 1948 and is still in operation today, it underwent a few name changes and is now located in Calgary, Alberta under the name Forman's Menswear. The latest date I could find for the original name was 1954 so with that and other info I'm optimistically placing this hat as early 50's

I have taken good photos of the black and gold keyhole tag as well as the Brockville unique factory tag under the sweat.

I noticed the liner on both of the hats in this purchase have the liner seam on the right while my american hats have the liner seam at the back.

The sweatband is very supple and in perfect condition it also has 'AQUANIZED STETSON' branding which I saw recently on a Canadian OR on eBay. Any examples on American hats?

The hat pin is unique and I haven't seen one like it, I thought it might be the Eiffel tower initially but that made no sense. I did a bit of digging but couldn't figure what it's intended to represent. Any thoughts?

5 1/2"+ open crown and a 3" brim. The felt is excellent and has a nice hand, the crown is soft and dry shapes easily and the brim is fairly stiff. Overall build quality is an A+ although I'm not without bias ;)

I did set a new crease with steam and took a bit of the curl out of the brim. Most of my hat's are starting to take a similar shape so I thought I would try a couple back dents on this one. Let me know what you think if anyone has some suggestions to mix it up a bit I'm all ears.

View attachment 203464 View attachment 203464 View attachment 203465 View attachment 203466 View attachment 203467 View attachment 203468 View attachment 203469 View attachment 203470 View attachment 203471 View attachment 203472

Such a great looking hat!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Gotta love anything that's Aquanized! I love saying that word!

View attachment 203464 View attachment 203464 View attachment 203465 View attachment 203466 View attachment 203467 View attachment 203468 View attachment 203469 View attachment 203470 View attachment 203471 View attachment 203472

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21