Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson One Hundred for sale on EBay

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Every now and again someone is not nice...

But most of the obnoxious people have moderated or drifted away. It’s worth adding that we want you to be a collector too, we need more numbers ; )
I didn't know that for sure, Daniel, because I just blocked them a while ago. Nice to know!

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I'm finding that out during this process.
The (somewhat) odd thing about this particular auction, I have several Asian country bidders...
No disparagement, but I didn't expect this much interest in Asia.

I expected at least some activity for the hats I've listed, what with the popularity of programs like "Yellowstone" and "Peaky Blinders" where hats are prominently featured, and of course the OG community here picked up on the One Hundred.
What is the OG community?

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
My advice is to go with a custom hat and choose the hatter carefully. You can get a top tier pure beaver custom western for $600 or less. These hats equal or surpass many/most of the hats costing three times as much or more.
I used to disagree with you on that until I bought my first Northwest Hats and Alley Kat.
Have you received that large open crown Alley Kat Western? That is some hat!
It got to Texas, but I haven't been over to pick it up yet.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thanks @Just Daniel
Funny thing here...
I grew up in the south, lived in Texas many years and have only owned 1 hat (baseball caps excluded). I actually found a copy of my old hat from when I was a teenager for sale on eBay.
Pic below...
(yes, it's pretty pathetic compared to some of the beauties I've seen of y'alls...like @drmaxtejeda 's BOP & Ermine).
Vintage Rugged 5X Beaver Bull Rider Cowboy Hat Western Ranchman Outfitters Brown
Hey...it's all I could afford at the time.
So you FL members may be a bad influence on me, but I'm now looking for a 200X or maybe 500X I could wear to the Fort Worth Stockyard or maybe Houston Livestock Show.
Any suggestions?

Welcome to the Lounge.

One thing you will learn quickly is that "X's" are more for marketing purposes and are mostly irrelevant. A 3X hat from the 40s and 50s is considered by many as superior to the 100X, 200X, 500X, 1000X hats sold today.

Something else you will learn is there are some great hats (similar to your example) from the 60s, 70s and 80s that can bought at bargain prices. No need to spend a lot of money on a nice looking, durable and functional hat unless you just want to. I have a mid 80s, 5X Resistol I bought new that is still good looking, easy to wear, and I don't have to worry too much if the wind blows it off and into some cow s*** when I'm at the stock shows!

And, as Brent mentioned, if you really feel the need to splurge on a full custom, pure beaver hat (western or otherwise), shop around. You will find several custom hatters here on TFL who have almost a cult like following because they are true artisans who build amazing hats at prices far below most traditional western stores/western hat makers here in Texas.

Of course, most of us in the Hat threads have some great vintage westerns and most of us are here to learn more about vintage hats. And, to be honest, we also like the thrill of hunting and finding those hidden treasures at bargain prices!

80s Resistol
20200205_152321.jpg

50s Stetson No. 1 Quality
20200914_101135.jpg

SpiderJohn

New in Town
What is the OG community?
It's internet slang for "Original Gangster".
Usually refers to someone more authentic for pre-dating fads before it was trendy, cool, etc.
("Been there - done that")

Think dimestore cowboys- vs. -ranch hands.

In the line of one of my personal interests, I've been collecting LP records since the 1970's, and today there is a growing trend of younger generations "discovering" vinyl.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
It's internet slang for "Original Gangster".
Usually refers to someone more authentic for pre-dating fads before it was trendy, cool, etc.
("Been there - done that")

Think dimestore cowboys- vs. -ranch hands.

In the line of one of my personal interests, I've been collecting LP records since the 1970's, and today there is a growing trend of younger generations "discovering" vinyl.
Thank you! No wonder I dodn't know that. I am terrible with acronyms anyway.

SpiderJohn

New in Town
Welcome to the Lounge.

One thing you will learn quickly is that "X's" are more for marketing purposes and are mostly irrelevant. A 3X hat from the 40s and 50s is considered by many as superior to the 100X, 200X, 500X, 1000X hats sold today.

Something else you will learn is there are some great hats (similar to your example) from the 60s, 70s and 80s that can bought at bargain prices. No need to spend a lot of money on a nice looking, durable and functional hat unless you just want to. I have a mid 80s, 5X Resistol I bought new that is still good looking, easy to wear, and I don't have to worry too much if the wind blows it off and into some cow s*** when I'm at the stock shows!

And, as Brent mentioned, if you really feel the need to splurge on a full custom, pure beaver hat (western or otherwise), shop around. You will find several custom hatters here on TFL who have almost a cult like following because they are true artisans who build amazing hats at prices far below most traditional western stores/western hat makers here in Texas.

Of course, most of us in the Hat threads have some great vintage westerns and most of us are here to learn more about vintage hats. And, to be honest, we also like the thrill of hunting and finding those hidden treasures at bargain prices!

80s Resistol
View attachment 488525

50s Stetson No. 1 Quality
View attachment 488526
Thanks you sir, for the nice welcome post.
(nice hats!)

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Yeah...I think you nailed the final price in on of your 1st posts.
Thank you all for your help and knowledge in getting this nice hat to the proud new owner.
(Was this any of you guys/gals who won?)
Not me. I bid on it when it first started, but knew it was going much higher and I already have more Stetsons than I can wear. Anyway, glad for any help I was able to give.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana