Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Open Road vs Akubra Campdraft

sage1

New in Town
Hoping to hear what the differences in quality are between the current production Steson Open Road and the Akubra Campdraft. What different felts are made from etc and how they will hold up fishing and camping etc.. I've also read here that the Campdraft has all the same dimensions as the OR but looking at the pics of how the Campdraft ships from Akubra I'm concerned that it won't take reshaping well. Akubra calls it open crowned but in my limited experience open crown is a round dome and Akubra does theirs different.

Thanks
S1

toobacat

One of the Regulars
I have both and I prefer the Campdraft. Here is the Campdraft with open crown.

campdraftsmallao8.jpg

Here it is creased.

imgp57173mediumsmallmc4.jpg

My Campdraft is made of lighter felt and feels more vintage. And at the current exchange rate the Campdraft is a real bargain.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
The Akubras I have all re-shape easily and I've re-bashed several of them multiple times. They still look very nice.
I'm a big fan of the Stetson Open Road but its heavier and more difficult to change from its original cattlemans crease. I happen to like my Stetson, I wear it all the time but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one who will say that.....
The Campdraft is an awesome looking hat and though I don't own one yet, I intend to!

Both hats would be excellent hats to wear fishing, camping, etc. They're both tough hats.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
toobacat said:
I have both and I prefer the Campdraft. Here is the Campdraft with open crown.

campdraftsmallao8.jpg

Here it is creased.

imgp57173mediumsmallmc4.jpg

My Campdraft is made of lighter felt and feels more vintage. And at the current exchange rate the Campdraft is a real bargain.
Toobacat....can you add these to the Akubra Overload thread...they would be great there...:eusa_clap

sage1

New in Town
From the photos I've seen in the Akubra Overload thread the crown on the Campdraft is much taller than on an Open Road. Is that correct?
Thanks
S1

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
sage1 said:
From the photos I've seen in the Akubra Overload thread the crown on the Campdraft is much taller than on an Open Road. Is that correct?
Thanks
S1
Since the Camp Draft goes by the same specs as the original OR by Stetson...I'd hope they're still pretty close...But I'm not sure how tall the new OR is in comparison. The Camp Draft was the OR years back, when Stetson dropped the licensing, Akubra continued it under their own name.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I haven't handled a recent Open Road, but all the reports here in recent years have been that it's loaded with stiffener, and it's a real production number to change the factory cattleman's crease.

If you intend to do a different bash, you'd be better off with the Campdrift - not to mention that it costs almost $100 less with current pricing!

Justdog

Practically Family
Stiff

Doctor Strange said:
I haven't handled a recent Open Road, but all the reports here in recent years have been that it's loaded with stiffener, and it's a real production number to change the factory cattleman's crease.

If you intend to do a different bash, you'd be better off with the Campdrift - not to mention that it costs almost $100 less with current pricing!
Yep thats very true. I have three vintage ORS in the hatters right now trying to get the stiffness out. If you want the personal touch the campdraft seems like the perfect fit.

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
On a recent trip to the US I bought a new Open Road (Silverbelly, 2 3/4" brim, 4 1/2" crown).
Whilst it's a nice hat, it does have a pronounced taper when viewed from the front which makes it look a bit cowboy hat-ish, although viewed from the side it has an almost reverse taper.
Looking at pics of Loungers Campdrafts, the Akubra product seems to have no taper in any direction and a taller crown, and so looks more like a vintage Open Road. I'm beginning to wish I'd bought one instead.
What's the informed opinion on the merits/demerits when comparing these two hats ?

Jauntyone

Practically Family
I have a Campdraft but I don't have a Stetson Open Road. I suspect the front-view taper on the stetson comes from a deep center dent and side dimples. A deep center crease will make the sides move in-ward as seen from the front, but will give reverse taper as seen from the side. The Campdraft has a nice, tall open crown and you can crease it in such a way as to get reverse taper from all views. I think RBH's hat is a good example of this.
Get a Campdraft, put a center crease in it, then a diamond and presto, no crown taper.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
You need to remember that the Camp Draft was the Open Road years ago. Stetson licensed Akubra to make the OR for Australia. When the license lapsed, Akubra continued making the "classic" OR under a new name..."The Camp Draft". So the CD is the classic OR, while the newer OR's have become more of a cheapie cowboy hat. I think less love is put into it now...:D

RBH

Bartender
Jauntyone said:
I have a Campdraft but I don't have a Stetson Open Road. I suspect the front-view taper on the stetson comes from a deep center dent and side dimples. A deep center crease will make the sides move in-ward as seen from the front, but will give reverse taper as seen from the side. The Campdraft has a nice, tall open crown and you can crease it in such a way as to get reverse taper from all views. I think RBH's hat is a good example of this.
Get a Campdraft, put a center crease in it, then a diamond and presto, no crown taper.
Jaunty is right, on a open crown hat a diamond will make it look as if no taper is present.

warbird

One Too Many
The new OR is not like the ones of old, in quality or shape. It is too short and too tapered. On the Stetson it isn't because of a deep center dent, it's because Stetson makes them that way on almost all of their hats. You might be able to make it less tapered if you re-crease it and give it a diamond as has been said before it does help. However, re-creasing a new OR because of the stiffness is dang nigh impossible.

The campdraft is blocked with straight sides and looks great as a diamond or center. It would take a mighty deep center to taper a campdraft.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
There's a thread call "Diamond Authority" where there are instructions on how to crease your hat with a diamond as well as many nice examples from the membership here. For many of us it's our favorite bash.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I used to own a Campdraft and a vintage Open Road at the same time. The measurements and shape were a perfect match! I doubt any modern Stetson could say the same with any model. One more reason that Akubra is awesome.

You do have the option of sending your Open Road for a reblock. You could ask for an untapered crown.

The others are right, though. A diamond crown will help hide the taper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass