Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Open Road vs Akubra Campdraft

T Rick

Practically Family
I have both and I prefer the Campdraft. Here is the Campdraft with open crown.

campdraftsmallao8.jpg

Here it is creased.

imgp57173mediumsmallmc4.jpg

My Campdraft is made of lighter felt and feels more vintage. And at the current exchange rate the Campdraft is a real bargain.

Sam Craig said:
And now I am told that the CD is a lighter color ... not really brown,,,, so I presume I am waisting my time with Akubra at all.

Well, I am not trying to talk you into the Campdraft at all. I think you should end up with whatever suits you. It's just that it seems to me like you are ignoring the "Mid Brown" Campdraft, and I know you really like the one you have.

The Fawn version of the Campdraft is the one I've seen referred to as a lighter color. Don't recall reading that of the Mid Brown at all. In fact I do seem to recall someone lamenting that the Mid Brown was a bit darker that they'd anticipated. But i know it is difficult not being able to see the actual color to judge for yourself. One of the drawbacks of being able to only order a product, via internet, snail mail or telephone.

BTW, that post quoted above was from the Open Road Vs. the Campdraft thread. I think the color shows it to be a true brown.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Hi Sam

I'll have to mention the difference in quality to the lady at Saint Joseph's Stetson Outlet next time I'm up there. I think we'd pay a bit more than the current $100-150 for an Open Road (Range?) if they were up to the earlier quality. Winchester can obviously get them the raw material...

Later

My old OR is a great hat ....

Since I wrote that last post, I have attained a Campdraft and I am really impressed with the build, the dimensions and the felt.
It IS a great hat and it IS much more hat than the two new ORs ... by 'new' I mean they are less than 10 years old .... which I have had. One I have already given away.
But my old OR, I'm guessing it is from the 50s .... THAT is a great hat

Terrific felt ... heavy, smooth, ... tall crown and wide brim ... It is just MORE hat than what they produce today.

I agree with Mike, This hat ... a brand new OR as good as the vintage ones ... at $200 would sell, at least that is my opinion.

Sam

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Old Thread , But ... What are the Dimensions of a Vintage OR ? The Modern OR is 5" Open Crown , 2 3/4" Brim , and I have a 6X that's Totally Like Cardboard . I'm going to take it to a Pro to see if he can get the Crown blown out and smooth , and workable . I've seen some Vintage , depending , that look 6"-6 1/4" Open Crown , and Brims I know are 2 7/8"-3" ... TOTALLY DIFFERENT HAT ! The Campdraft is approx. 2.88" Brim , and just under 6" Open Crown , I think . At well over $100 less expensive the Campdraft is a MUCH BETTER Hat and Deal , you can work with it . Options !

RJR

Old Thread , But ... What are the Dimensions of a Vintage OR ? The Modern OR is 5" Open Crown , 2 3/4" Brim , and I have a 6X that's Totally Like Cardboard . I'm going to take it to a Pro to see if he can get the Crown blown out and smooth , and workable . I've seen some Vintage , depending , that look 6"-6 1/4" Open Crown , and Brims I know are 2 7/8"-3" ... TOTALLY DIFFERENT HAT ! The Campdraft is approx. 2.88" Brim , and just under 6" Open Crown , I think . At well over $100 less expensive the Campdraft is a MUCH BETTER Hat and Deal , you can work with it . Options !
Agree.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Do you remember hearing Delmonico's had some Royal or Royal Deluxe , or Premier or Excellent Quality (Not Sure) Open Crown OR's either last Fall or sometime ? I didn't until they were gone , but I guess Stetson was testing the Waters . I saw a Few Excellent Quality Strats (it could have been Strats only , not OR's , and I misunderstood), maybe 1 Size and 1 Color are left (I think Moon got an Excellent in Sage) . The New Fall Catalog has a lot of Excellent Quality , and others , but I think they dropped the Excellent Quality Strat , and just kept the Premier in the Strat , then the standard , and the standard OR . Still at $85 an Open Crown Campdraft with its dimensions , I know is $220 Bucks less expensive , not a Stetson Excellent Quality , but ... . I read Matt Deckard had prototypes out before the Excellent Quality was Offered , I guess he was encouraging HatCo to give it a go , but HJ said , He heard the Premier , and Excellent Quality felt bodies were in short supply . Stetson makes their own Hat Bodies , I guess it happens , but if they Really want to get their Good Name Back , Quality is Job One , figuring out how to be competitive pricing is the other . Name isn't everything , its well known , but also how far they've fallen over the years , it takes time and dedication and hard work to win back the confidence of the public , but it would be nice to get back to giving the public what they want , Top Quality Hats at a reasonable price , and dimensions Hat wearers are looking for in a Hat they can count on . Boy the 15s , 25s , and 100s of days gone by were so awesome , felt and dimensions . Really not many people want a factory crease , especially after figuring out their Favorite Crease/Creases .

Well after reading the Thread Posted by Matt Deckard today ... , I was right about the Open Crown OR (Royal Deluxe Quality) , but it's left to be seen IF Stetson/HatCo continue Climbing Back , or if his leaving begins the train rolling down Hill , again . I'll hope for the Best , and be prepared . There are a Lot of Great Hatters making Hats of the Highest Quality at a Price that's reasonable , and good Old Akubra to fill its niche . Lets Hope they keep the Quality Dress Hats going in the Right Direction , and learn from it , keeping the Styles along with the positive improvements . All the Best to Matt !

RJR

Do you remember hearing Delmonico's had some Royal or Royal Deluxe , or Premier or Excellent Quality (Not Sure) Open Crown OR's either last Fall or sometime ? I didn't until they were gone , but I guess Stetson was testing the Waters . I saw a Few Excellent Quality Strats (it could have been Strats only , not OR's , and I misunderstood), maybe 1 Size and 1 Color are left (I think Moon got an Excellent in Sage) . The New Fall Catalog has a lot of Excellent Quality , and others , but I think they dropped the Excellent Quality Strat , and just kept the Premier in the Strat , then the standard , and the standard OR . Still at $85 an Open Crown Campdraft with its dimensions , I know is $220 Bucks less expensive , not a Stetson Excellent Quality , but ... . I read Matt Deckard had prototypes out before the Excellent Quality was Offered , I guess he was encouraging HatCo to give it a go , but HJ said , He heard the Premier , and Excellent Quality felt bodies were in short supply . Stetson makes their own Hat Bodies , I guess it happens , but if they Really want to get their Good Name Back , Quality is Job One , figuring out how to be competitive pricing is the other . Name isn't everything , its well known , but also how far they've fallen over the years , it takes time and dedication and hard work to win back the confidence of the public , but it would be nice to get back to giving the public what they want , Top Quality Hats at a reasonable price , and dimensions Hat wearers are looking for in a Hat they can count on . Boy the 15s , 25s , and 100s of days gone by were so awesome , felt and dimensions . Really not many people want a factory crease , especially after figuring out their Favorite Crease/Creases .

Well after reading the Thread Posted by Matt Deckard today ... , I was right about the Open Crown OR (Royal Deluxe Quality) , but it's left to be seen IF Stetson/HatCo continue Climbing Back , or if his leaving begins the train rolling down Hill , again . I'll hope for the Best , and be prepared . There are a Lot of Great Hatters making Hats of the Highest Quality at a Price that's reasonable , and good Old Akubra to fill its niche . Lets Hope they keep the Quality Dress Hats going in the Right Direction , and learn from it , keeping the Styles along with the positive improvements . All the Best to Matt !
+1

ptjoe

Familiar Face
You know, I measured the height of my modern Stetson Open Road, and it is about 5 1/2 inches. Not very far off from the Campdraft, actually, although it's supposed to be higher. But there is a thing I'm noticing about my Open Road now, when it had come into contact with rain, there are now "water-spots" on the hat that look bumpy.

Photoon2011-01-11at15423.jpg

Photoon2011-01-11at1542.jpg

See what I'm talking about? Is this supposed to be normal for wearing a hat in the elements, especially considering the fact that this is a modern Stetson here? I have sweat in the hat as well, actually. I remember seeing some similar "bumps" on my Akubra Federation before, but it could be that the darker felt color (dark brown) masks the effect and makes it less visible?
I purchased a Stetson Open Road Royal recently and wore it while it was drizzling, not enough rain to be concerned with, so I thought?. The next day when I went to put it on all these little bumps all over the crown, just like yours. I called the dealer I purchased it from and was told to send it back, "that should have never happened". Anyway, looking at Akubra either Campdraft or Stylemaster . I'm disappointed in the new Stetsons, the older ones were much better!

Gromulus

Practically Family
I purchased a Stetson Open Road Royal recently and wore it while it was drizzling, not enough rain to be concerned with, so I thought?. The next day when I went to put it on all these little bumps all over the crown, just like yours. I called the dealer I purchased it from and was told to send it back, "that should have never happened". Anyway, looking at Akubra either Campdraft or Stylemaster . I'm disappointed in the new Stetsons, the older ones were much better!

No worries with an Akubra. I own 13 or 14 Akubra felts and nearly every one has been worn in the rain (sometimes very heavy) and/or snow with no ill effects.

nick51xx

New in Town
Hey guys,

Long-time researcher; first time poster.

I am brand new to the world of hats, and am looking for a couple of extra bits of information that I can’t seem to find anywhere on the web.

Yes, this is another “Stetson OR vs Akubra Campdraft” thread, but I am specifically wondering about the crown height & tapering differences, and if I can get the Campdraft bashed into a very “tight” cattleman’s crease (example here: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...rL4VSuty3hg1zr6LhoeU2q8d8744sBwla6Kt7rKaJr27_).

I’ve tried on the Campdraft (I live in Australia, so easy enough to find in-store), and was a bit daunted by the massive crown, even when folded into a fairly deep centre crease. I also tried on the Squatter, which I believe has a crown height of around 1 inch shorter, and seemed to prefer this shape on my head — unfortunately, I am after the Silver Belly colour, and the Squatter only comes in brown or charcoal grey.

How much crown height can I expect to lose from the Campdraft if I can get it creased into a way that matches a modern OR? I know that the Campdraft has the same specs as a vintage OR, but the modern OR looks more appealing to me personally (sorry for the sacrilege to all vintage enthusiasts!) due to the relatively low and tapered crown. Otherwise, I might start looking online for a 2nd-hand modern OR.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nick51xx

New in Town
I don’t have an OR newer than the 60’s - 70’s but since they are not sold open crown my guess would be they are measuring the side for overall height.

It depends on your head shape & how high up off your ears you wear your hats but I don’t think you could bring down a CD lower than say 4” at the dip because it would be touching the top of your head.

Gotta run for now.

Hey guys,

Long-time researcher; first time poster.

I am brand new to the world of hats, and am looking for a couple of extra bits of information that I can’t seem to find anywhere on the web.

Yes, this is another “Stetson OR vs Akubra Campdraft” thread, but I am specifically wondering about the crown height & tapering differences, and if I can get the Campdraft bashed into a very “tight” cattleman’s crease (example here: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...rL4VSuty3hg1zr6LhoeU2q8d8744sBwla6Kt7rKaJr27_).

I’ve tried on the Campdraft (I live in Australia, so easy enough to find in-store), and was a bit daunted by the massive crown, even when folded into a fairly deep centre crease. I also tried on the Squatter, which I believe has a crown height of around 1 inch shorter, and seemed to prefer this shape on my head — unfortunately, I am after the Silver Belly colour, and the Squatter only comes in brown or charcoal grey.

How much crown height can I expect to lose from the Campdraft if I can get it creased into a way that matches a modern OR? I know that the Campdraft has the same specs as a vintage OR, but the modern OR looks more appealing to me personally (sorry for the sacrilege to all vintage enthusiasts!) due to the relatively low and tapered crown. Otherwise, I might start looking online for a 2nd-hand modern OR.

Thanks in advance!

It’s not often we hear someone wanting a crown that is lower and has more taper. It sounds like the world is your oyster. Are you also a size 6 7/8?

I’d bet you’d get to like the taller less tapered crowns if you gave them a chance, but to each their own. I have one of the current 6X Open Road hats and I really suggest you go with the Royal DeLuxe grade if you decide to go with the Open Road.

If you’re a size 61 and want a Silverbelly 6X Open Road send me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

nick51xx

New in Town
It’s not often we hear someone wanting a crown that is lower and has more taper. It sounds like the world is your oyster. Are you also a size 6 7/8?

I’d bet you’d get to like the taller less tapered crowns if you gave them a chance, but to each their own. I have one of the current 6X Open Road hats and I really suggest you go with the Royal DeLuxe grade if you decide to go with the Open Road.

If you’re a size 61 and want a Silverbelly 6X Open Road send me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I just prefer the lower "cowboy hat" look (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...TBdARdjKuO-d0h6wLis7gyK7yM0Sg0T5j20PSw_oY-kvg) compared to the more traditional high-crown fedora look (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/9f/2e/809f2e21b6fcb8784dd1b00c44cdbf39.jpg).

Both pics from Pinterest so apologies if I've used somebody's original content!

My head is quite large at 60-61cm, which I guess is more like a 7-1/2 or 7-5/8?

I just prefer the lower "cowboy hat" look (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSP2tyTBdARdjKuO-d0h6wLis7gyK7yM0Sg0T5j20PSw_oY-kvg) compared to the more traditional high-crown fedora look (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/9f/2e/809f2e21b6fcb8784dd1b00c44cdbf39.jpg).

Both pics from Pinterest so apologies if I've used somebody's original content!

My head is quite large at 60-61cm, which I guess is more like a 7-1/2 or 7-5/8?

PM sent

Roadopen

One of the Regulars
....the measurements are there and have enough height for you to adjust to that sweet spot you've always wanted depending as mentioned above how hi-low you want the hat to sit on your head/ear clearance, so in preference you will have the OR I think a bit better to bash dry/wet. Just me....all preference in the end here.

Good Luck

Ro

Last edited:
Campdraft (I live in Australia, so easy enough to find in-store),
Hey Nick, since retailers are common in Australia I'm curious if you notice a lot of variation in the hand & finish of the felt in Campdrafts as you have looked around?

I'm sure you probably want a Campdraft because of availability but if you're still concerned about crown height you might check out the OR in the new Stetson Distressed 1865 line. I know nothing about them but you can find more detail with picture from Monavillecowboy here:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-open-road-guild.7047/page-149

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21