Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson silverbelly vs fawn picture request

cold

New in Town
Afternoon,
Will be ordering a new Stetson and have got everything but the color decided. Unfortunately I can’t try before I buy, so I need some help. Could some folks post some Stetson silverbelly and fawn hat pictures for comparison, please? Your thoughts on color would be helpful as well.

I ask because Website pics online for silverbelly look anywhere from light tan to gray to almost white. Fawn looks anywhere from dark tan to olive green to oatmeal. The hat will be a 6x Range, which is similar to an Open Road but with a slightly wider brim that is untrimmed.

many thanks!

Silverbelly shouldn’t be thought of as a single color. Even within one maker it can be found in different shades and tones; although, all the hats made by the same maker at a certain point in time should be very similar. I don’t think any photos we can provide will be any more accurate that what Stetson can. Good luck.

JAL.TX

New in Town
Same boat, same hat. I have the Open Road in silverbelly, and to be honest, most of the pictures you see online are accurate compared to seeing it in person. Think of it as a very very light gray.

I think fawn is really pretty. I’m tempted by it because I don’t see a lot of hats in this vein in fawn. My concern is that fawn might end up giving a bit of a fall/winter vibe. If the images on the Stetson site are accurate, it looks like fawn is a little darker than silverbelly, and I wish it were just a little paler.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I think the Fawn will be darker.

BTW, are you anywhere near Jal, NM? I have to ask :)

Same boat, same hat. I have the Open Road in silverbelly, and to be honest, most of the pictures you see online are accurate compared to seeing it in person. Think of it as a very very light gray.

I think fawn is really pretty. I’m tempted by it because I don’t see a lot of hats in this vein in fawn. My concern is that fawn might end up giving a bit of a fall/winter vibe. If the images on the Stetson site are accurate, it looks like fawn is a little darker than silverbelly, and I wish it were just a little paler.

JAL.TX

New in Town
I'm in Austin. Looks like your neck of the woods..or rather, hill country.

I"m sure after one too many bourbons, I'm going for the Range 6X in silverbelly. It just goes with everything. I'll likely let the Range get worn in, while keeping the Open Road as pristine as I can. That hat dresses up so well.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hats of the same color look different on different sites because hats look different under different lighting conditions in real life too. That sounds a bit obvious as I type it out, but it's the same as if you tried it on in a store and then walked outside.

Want another example to drive you crazy?
2008-12-01-public_enemies1.jpg

All the same felt. Granted, the film has assuredly been color corrected, but still, outdoor vs indoor studio lighting.

Silverbelly is a very versatile shade, IMHO moreso than fawn.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I grew up in west Texas and my parents used to go to Jal, NM, just across the Texas border, when they bought cars because the NM state taxes were so low at the time.

I'm in Austin. Looks like your neck of the woods..or rather, hill country.

I"m sure after one too many bourbons, I'm going for the Range 6X in silverbelly. It just goes with everything. I'll likely let the Range get worn in, while keeping the Open Road as pristine as I can. That hat dresses up so well.

glider

A-List Customer
Any hat collection needs [ must have ] a Silverbelly, preferably an Open Road. Silverbelly is sort of the Texas Rangers color also, probably 95% of them wear a silverbelly, that alone is a good enough reason.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi
Texas Rangers aside, I still dislike Silverbelly hats. They tend to change color more in differing light that other hats. Get dressed put on the hat, look in the mirror and it matches your clothes, go outside and it doesn't. Some Silverbelly hats turn a bit pink in sunlight, but they all seem to change color. Silver mist on the other hand doesn't.

I think the Rangers wear Silverbelly because its a light factory color and they're in Texas.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran