Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Sovereign 8 1/8

big kahuna

Familiar Face
I came home after being on the road for almost two weeks to find this jem waiting for me...

IMG_1440.jpg

Here's a side view:

IMG_1442.jpg

Here are some interior pics (note the size).

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1445.jpg
[/IMG]

It needs some reshaping, and has two small moth "chews" (not complete holes) in the crown. The best part that it was about $29 with postage from ebay (thanks, Dinerman, for letting me know about this one).

Can anyone guess about the year?...It has that raised brim edge and a trolley cord..

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I love the way they did the size tag. Looks like they cut the 8 out of the fraction of another size tag and taped it over a 7.

As far as age goes, I'd say no earlier than the '70s, and no later than the '90s.

looks good on you.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dman, why wouldn't you go with 50s or 60s on that hat?
It looks like a Mode Edge? Sad to say, the leather sweat
looks too good for 70s or 80s.

BK, hope to see that on your melon out on the
streets of Oakland some day.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
okay, maybe '60s, but the later half. The sweat and liner just aren't what I've seen on '50s or [early] '60s stetsons. But, I guess it does have a mode edge, so late '60s sounds about right.

when did they retire that liner design? Do they still use something similar today?

akaBruno

Suspended
Hey Man:

Nice hat and all. But BIG Man that you are. I think a Wide brim fedora would suit you best. I'm into the WIDE brims myself.

Please don't take offense. It's just my opine.

BRUNO

big kahuna

Familiar Face
I agree...

I prefer a big brim...my 600 wpi panama has a 4 1/2" pencil role brim and a 5" crown, and I travel with that hat exclusively. However, living large means that I need to buy 'em when I find 'em. I plan to wear this one (and the vintage mallory homburg) when playing a band gig...kinda more of an inside hat.

BTW: I recently bought a WIDE brim western style cavalry hat from Miller hats in a size 8, which I wore in a reenactment last week at the Little Big Horn Battlefield in Montana. I was surprised a the top quality of the hat, and that they have big sizes. Although not a "classic style" hat, it fit the bill. Miller also makes other styles, so all you fellow bucketheads should check it out.;)

Yeah, sometimes you guys with unusual sizes have to settle for what actually fits. On the plus side, it's a bit easier to justify the cost of a custom if the vintage styles you want just plain can't be found in your size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic