Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Special fedora crossover 7 1/8, close to a 7 1/4

4spurs

One of the Regulars
SOLD FOR $102.50 at auction.

From the listing.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/142118580803?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

A very soft, pliable Stetson. This hat will take any crown and brim shape you give it without needing to be steamed.

The hat is tagged a 7 1/8, but it is a large 1/8 closer to a 7 1/4.

This is an old Stetson, the gold ink on the keyhole tag, the designation of "Special" and the stars in the upper left corner of the Stetson symbol and the orange and red size and stock tags date this hat to the early 1930's. This is a Philadelphia made Stetson.

The hat has two areas of minor moth nibbles under the brim, and some green verdigris staining from the reed coupling, and a minor spot on the crown --check the photos.

The sweat band is in great shape; soft and pliable. Remarkable to me just how supple the sweatband is, there are no issues such as dryness, or cracks or tears in the sweatband that I can see.

The hat is stamped "Special", a category of hat I had never heard of. In other words not your usual 3X or, Royal Deluxe, 7X Clear Beaver, etc. So I did some research and learned that the designation of "Special" was used in the early 1930's, as a category between 3X and 4X. I then checked the size tag for dating, and it seems that keyhole tags that have gold ink on them as does this one, also date from the 1930's. Those facts, and the orange and red rectangular Stetson tags inside the hat indicate this hat is from the 1930's. Eighty year old hats don't show up everyday.

A note on the color. I've taken photos outside in both the shade and the direct sun. The color is a light tan, very similar to a 1950 era western 3X Belgian belly Stetson that I own. [Belgian belly should not be confused with silver belly, as it has a tan tone to it.]

One thing I really like about this hat is that it is very malleable. It will take any crown shape, or brim flip up, or down, without needing to be steamed, and it will hold the shape you give it.

2 3/4" brim when measured from the front of the crown forward. The crown as shown in the photos is 4", the unbashed crown is about 5 1/2" Got questions, ask.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner