Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner B

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I don't see the modern Stratoliner thread anywhere nor have I necessarily seen mention of this fantastic new development from Stetson... the Stratoliner B.

For those who have followed me before, you know I like two things: a good factory crease and a hat with a decent amount of stiffener. This new Stratoliner B has both. The crown will definitely hold its shape and the brim has a good snap to it. When you compare these to the NOS Stratoliners from the 50s, the feel is much the same. I know some of you profess that these hats weren't stiff when they were new, but once you handle a NOS version, you know that's not necessarily true.

One significant change is that the crown has been creased 1/4" higher at its highest point and in the front. 1/4", you say? So what, you say?

1/4" can be quite a lot! It changes the entire look of the hat. The rake now looks right. It's a whole new ballgame!

The Stratoliner B is easily identified by its label, which says "Stratoliner B". My first was a Stetson Pure (100% beaver) in Alabaster and I knew it was different but it wasn't so obvious at first nor did I understand what the B meant. Now I know. You can measure to make sure, the keel is 3-1/2" high and the front crease's low point is 3-3/4" high.

The "Peacock" is an interesting color. Seems like it's blue with the saturation knob turned down. It's almost a neutral charcoal, except it's not. It would complement a brown leather jacket quite well.

Tom

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0838 (1).jpeg

I don't see the modern Stratoliner thread anywhere nor have I necessarily seen mention of this fantastic new development from Stetson... the Stratoliner B.

For those who have followed me before, you know I like two things: a good factory crease and a hat with a decent amount of stiffener. This new Stratoliner B has both. The crown will definitely hold its shape and the brim has a good snap to it. When you compare these to the NOS Stratoliners from the 50s, the feel is much the same. I know some of you profess that these hats weren't stiff when they were new, but once you handle a NOS version, you know that's not necessarily true.

One significant change is that the crown has been creased 1/4" higher at its highest point and in the front. 1/4", you say? So what, you say?

1/4" can be quite a lot! It changes the entire look of the hat. The rake now looks right. It's a whole new ballgame!

The Stratoliner B is easily identified by its label, which says "Stratoliner B". My first was a Stetson Pure (100% beaver) in Alabaster and I knew it was different but it wasn't so obvious at first nor did I understand what the B meant. Now I know. You can measure to make sure, the keel is 3-1/2" high and the front crease's low point is 3-3/4" high.

The "Peacock" is an interesting color. Seems like it's blue with the saturation knob turned down. It's almost a neutral charcoal, except it's not. It would complement a brown leather jacket quite well.

Tom

View attachment 366339

View attachment 366340
It is a nice looking hat. In my opinion it would be more appealing if they offered it in a higher grade felt than the low level Royal but then it would increase the price point enough to push it into competition with a custom hat.

Tom

View attachment 366339

View attachment 366340

There’s this:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-stratoliner-appreciation-club-modern.58325/

Maybe a bartender can merge the threads?

It is a nice looking hat. In my opinion it would be more appealing if they offered it in a higher grade felt than the low level Royal but then it would increase the price point enough to push it into competition with a custom hat.

The modern Royal felt also isn’t for me. I’m also cold on the Stratoliner. To me, it looks great in a size 7 but too small in my size. The 2 1/2” brim and 5 1/2” crown just doesn’t work for me. I’ve wanted to try one of the “Pure” series as the successors of the Excellent line, but so far they haven’t offered anything the temps me. If they made an 6” open crown Open Road I’d be all over it…make mine with a 3” brim.

I haven’t bought a new factory hat in quite a while. I even have trouble with Akubra as I know that if I save my money for another custom I’ll be much happier. Although, I do keep thinking about a second Akubra Sombrero.

The modern Royal felt also isn’t for me. I’m also cold on the Stratoliner. To me, it looks great in a size 7 but too small in my size. The 2 1/2” brim and 5 1/2” crown just doesn’t work for me. I’ve wanted to try one of the “Pure” series as the successors of the Excellent line, but so far they haven’t offered anything the temps me. If they made an 6” open crown Open Road I’d be all over it…make mine with a 3” brim.

I haven’t bought a new factory hat in quite a while. I even have trouble with Akubra as I know that if I save my money for another custom I’ll be much happier. Although, I do keep thinking about a second Akubra Sombrero.
If they would bring out a modern Stetsonian dimension hat in the Pure....I think I would jump.

Thought of you when Stetson Japan posted this vintage ad

If they re-released the Excellent Quality strat I'd be all over it. Kinda regret not picking one of those up.

I got a sage Excellent Quality from Anthony Amodeo a few years back. It is the only modern hat that I have found worth a crap.

I got a sage Excellent Quality from Anthony Amodeo a few years back. It is the only modern hat that I have found worth a crap.
I echo your sentiments. I am also thinking on an NY LE in my size. Really like the hat, even like the sage colour. I had thought of changing out the ribbon to something more remarkable but got lazy. I may still do it at some point.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I echo your sentiments. I am also thinking on an NY LE in my size. Really like the hat, even like the sage colour. I had thought of changing out the ribbon to something more remarkable but got lazy. I may still do it at some point.

I had the ribbon changed in my sage(?) Excellent. That brown was just ugly.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.jpeg
    IMG_0840.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 315

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That is a very good point, Esther made me a bespoke Strat-look-a-like. Bespoke as in made to measure, she charged me two hundred euros, that's about $235 US. The hat is superb, worth every cent. As far as I can tell, the Stetson Strat B, is around $195.00.
aloha 167.jpg

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Nice part, in addition to all of the other reasons to like living in Milwaukee, is Brass Rooster. One of my customs made from vintage 1955 Mallory hood in taupe. The "silver" ribbon was my idea; when John picked it out and laid it on the hood, there was no question it was a fabulous choice.

I have another in a robin's egg blue and a third in a lavender. The colors really came alive after the felt was pounced.

IMG_0054.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot