Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner B

Didn’t they? I bought a close out Stetsonian a year or two back, very tall and wide. Of course, that was in their Sovereign grade, quite soft, quite thick.

I’ve seen exactly one of them, and I believe it was a proof from the designer that Stetson had at the time. I’ve never seen a modern Stetsonian in beaver other than that one. The Stetsonian was discontinued before the “Pure” line of beaver felt hats was introduced. There is some reason to believe that the current Royal De Luxe felt is 10% beaver, but that’s from some advertising from the Japanese market. Neither the Royal De Luxe nor the Sovereign felts are beaver…maybe a small amount of beaver in the mix.

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
I don't see the modern Stratoliner thread anywhere nor have I necessarily seen mention of this fantastic new development from Stetson... the Stratoliner B.

For those who have followed me before, you know I like two things: a good factory crease and a hat with a decent amount of stiffener. This new Stratoliner B has both. The crown will definitely hold its shape and the brim has a good snap to it. When you compare these to the NOS Stratoliners from the 50s, the feel is much the same. I know some of you profess that these hats weren't stiff when they were new, but once you handle a NOS version, you know that's not necessarily true.

One significant change is that the crown has been creased 1/4" higher at its highest point and in the front. 1/4", you say? So what, you say?

1/4" can be quite a lot! It changes the entire look of the hat. The rake now looks right. It's a whole new ballgame!

The Stratoliner B is easily identified by its label, which says "Stratoliner B". My first was a Stetson Pure (100% beaver) in Alabaster and I knew it was different but it wasn't so obvious at first nor did I understand what the B meant. Now I know. You can measure to make sure, the keel is 3-1/2" high and the front crease's low point is 3-3/4" high.

The "Peacock" is an interesting color. Seems like it's blue with the saturation knob turned down. It's almost a neutral charcoal, except it's not. It would complement a brown leather jacket quite well.

Tom

View attachment 366339

View attachment 366340
is it rabbit or beaver/rabbit mixture

GatineauRoss

New in Town
I don't see the modern Stratoliner thread anywhere nor have I necessarily seen mention of this fantastic new development from Stetson... the Stratoliner B.

For those who have followed me before, you know I like two things: a good factory crease and a hat with a decent amount of stiffener. This new Stratoliner B has both. The crown will definitely hold its shape and the brim has a good snap to it. When you compare these to the NOS Stratoliners from the 50s, the feel is much the same. I know some of you profess that these hats weren't stiff when they were new, but once you handle a NOS version, you know that's not necessarily true.

One significant change is that the crown has been creased 1/4" higher at its highest point and in the front. 1/4", you say? So what, you say?

1/4" can be quite a lot! It changes the entire look of the hat. The rake now looks right. It's a whole new ballgame!

The Stratoliner B is easily identified by its label, which says "Stratoliner B". My first was a Stetson Pure (100% beaver) in Alabaster and I knew it was different but it wasn't so obvious at first nor did I understand what the B meant. Now I know. You can measure to make sure, the keel is 3-1/2" high and the front crease's low point is 3-3/4" high.

The "Peacock" is an interesting color. Seems like it's blue with the saturation knob turned down. It's almost a neutral charcoal, except it's not. It would complement a brown leather jacket quite well.

Tom

View attachment 366339

View attachment 366340
Can anyone tell me what type of fur was used in the felt for the Stratoliner B?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko