Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner Premier Open Crown

Mr. Cragganmore

New in Town
New York LE:

198ef4210c25e978ece3d32c59d3c1f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The information you have provided has been a great help to me. I have started a small collection of Stetsons and have been looking for info on them. Thanks

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Well, after 2 and a half months I finally got my Stetson Premier Stratoliner in silverbelly. Was it worth the wait....? Well, it sort of was, becasue now I can happily return and get my money back. I will be out shipping, but now I know, that my dream hat doesn't exist. I can't believe how stiff this thing is. It's as stiff as the regular Stratoliner, but just has an Open Crown. The sweat is okay I suppose...probably as nice as my Akubra fedora directly from Australia. Maybe a little nicer. I am at work now and the Akubra is at home. I will check though. Furthermore, tt also has two spots on it. Is this normal? I mean, it's a light color...but should there be two little darker spots on it? The one on the crown is harder to see in the pictures I am posting below. Ya know, I think I could almost deal with it - I would just brush it out if this weren't stiff as a board. Should the Premier be softer than the regular Strat? I have a few fedoras and none of them are as stiff as this thing. It feels like cardboard. Ugh. I took a video of it from my phone, but it won't send.

Attachments

• IMG_3115.jpg
    IMG_3115.jpg
    658.7 KB · Views: 2,644
  • IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 2,598
  • IMG_3116.jpg
    IMG_3116.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 2,656
Well, after 2 and a half months I finally got my Stetson Premier Stratoliner in silverbelly. Was it worth the wait....? Well, it sort of was, becasue now I can happily return and get my money back. I will be out shipping, but now I know, that my dream hat doesn't exist. I can't believe how stiff this thing is. It's as stiff as the regular Stratoliner, but just has an Open Crown. The sweat is okay I suppose...probably as nice as my Akubra fedora directly from Australia. Maybe a little nicer. I am at work now and the Akubra is at home. I will check though. Furthermore, tt also has two spots on it. Is this normal? I mean, it's a light color...but should there be two little darker spots on it? The one on the crown is harder to see in the pictures I am posting below. Ya know, I think I could almost deal with it - I would just brush it out if this weren't stiff as a board. Should the Premier be softer than the regular Strat? I have a few fedoras and none of them are as stiff as this thing. It feels like cardboard. Ugh. I took a video of it from my phone, but it won't send.
Sorry about this. Those spots are not acceptable. I would think the beaver would be softer. For the same money, a vintage felt will be soft and clay like in comparison.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Sorry about this. Those spots are not acceptable. I would think the beaver would be softer. For the same money, a vintage felt will be soft and clay like in comparison.
Actually it's not beaver...I don't think it is. It's the Royal Deluxe felt. It's awful really. I would deal with the spots too...I just wanted a soft silverbelly fedora so badly - especially one with an open crown. The only way I could shape this is with a steamer. Actually, it's so stiff, it almost feels like it will break with I touch it.

Actually, while I am at it. Shoudln't Delmonico Hatter have inspected the hat before they shipped it out? I am tempted to ask them to cover shipping...but the truth is I would accept the spots if it were soft. Hell, maybe I woudln't. ha-ha.

DelMonico is usually pretty good about that. Give them a call, maybe they'll help you remedy the situation.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the review. Sorry to hear about your experience. The spots have earned it a send it back. Now you can put that money towards a custom made clone. ;)
Johnny

Last edited:
That is a LOT differant from mine. Mine is absolutely soft. ALL of my Premiere Strats are. Even with the standard "Royal" Strat, they are NOT stiff as a board......none of mine are, Royal or Royal Deluxe in the Strat line. Now the Whippet line seems alltogether differant. ...What is the deal with the "Pure Beaver" on the sweat? That is not the correct sweat for that hat.....I certainly would be sending it packing! FACTORY SECOND?????
M

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
That is a LOT differant from mine. Mine is absolutely soft. Even with the standard "Royal" Strat, they are NOT stiff as a board......none of mine are, Royal or Royal Deluxe in the Strat line. Now the Whippet line seems alltogether differant. ...What is the deal with the "Pure Beaver" on the sweat? That is not the correct sweat for that hat.....I certainly would be sending it packing!
M
Actually, the "Pure Beaver Sweat" is not my picture...not sure how that came up. I must have been responding to someone's post -

Actually, the "Pure Beaver Sweat" is not my picture...not sure how that came up. I must have been responding to someone's post -
Like I edited above......I am thinking Factory Second....or just a plain screw up end of the day "lets use up all our shellac on our last hat" party......
Man......sorry for your experiance .....can be quite disheartening :(
M:)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you recommend Gannon as well? Thank you!!!!!
Not a problem.
I can't personally recommend any custom hats but Art Fawcett at VS. Because his is the only custom hats I own. At least the only ones I would recommend. But you can check out a lot of Gannons offerings on the lounge and reviews. As for Stratoliner style hats I know ShortBaldGuy some nice examples in his collection. Maybe ask him who he would recommend. In fact I think I would like to know as well. :)
Not very helpful, I know. Good luck in your search.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk